Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage's Mardi Gras Night - Hopes & Thoughts!

Hi All!

I guess alot of us are excited to see what Rage do tomorrow night for their Mardi Gras special so thought we could discuss the before and afters here!

Hopefully it's going to be great and not your average Weather Girls etc!

The main thing I'm hoping for would be Tina's 'I Need Your Body'!

What about you?

Re: Rage's Mardi Gras Night - Hopes & Thoughts!

I see that they're playing Tight Fit's ABBA sounding song 'Fantasy Island'.

YAY! So I'm getting Tina!

It's not a bad play list but I see there are several requests that have been missed that people regularly ask for. I still don't think they've got it right. Dead Or Alive's In Too Deep when the 7" of Turn Around And Count 2 Ten has been asked for a zillion times?! They could have left of the staple that seems to be Young Hearts Run Free as well! They also manage to get their 'alternative' streak in a Mardi Gras special. A Garbage track? No disrepect to the band or anyone here that likes them but just cause the song is called 'Queer' don't mean those folks actually like it or think it a fitting Mardi Gras song!

Still, this play list is way better then the usual weekly stuff!

Some good stuff, some disappointment. I hate how they've put the 'new' "gay icons" to fill up the first hour or so of Saturday night's episode. The good stuff doesn't really start until 2:30-3am, which means if I sit up to watch it, that's a few hours wasted.

I was also hoping that the Mel & Kim track on Saturday morning would have been 'FLM' (the only one they haven't aired since 1987). Although I have the video already, it would still be nice to see it on Rage. I love 'Showing Out' of course, but they aired it in the Let's Dance special in 2009.

I'm also hoping the Yazz 'Stand Up For Your Love Rights' video is the original UK version with the white-yellowish background, rather than the US 12" video, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Highlights for me:

BLACK BOX Fantasy (BMG)
CULTURE BEAT Got To Get It (Sony)
EUPHORIA One In A Million (EMI)
ADEVA Warning! (Chrysalis)
SINITTA Right Back Where We Started From (Liberation)
TIGHT FIT Fantasy Island (Jive/Zomba)
SHEENA EASTON Sugar Walls (EMI)
BETTY BOO Where Are You Baby (Independent)
SHAMPOO I Know What Boys Like (EMI)
SOPHIE B. HAWKINS **** I Wish I Was Your Lover (Columbia)
SAMANTHA FOX Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now (Jive/Zomba)

I wonder if Bananarama's 'Venus' will be the 7" or 12" version...

FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Warner)
YAZZ Stand Up For Your Love Rights (Sony)
LIPPY LOU Liberation (Independent)
U.S.U.R.A. Open Your Mind '97 (Central Station)
THE SHAMEN Love, Sex, Intelligence (Mushroom)
TINA ARENA I Need Your Body (EMI)
ROISIN MURPHY You Know Me Better (EMI)

I wish they'd have played Depeche Mode's 'See You' (or another rare early vid that's not on one of their DVDs) instead of the ones they've programmed.

And yes, Dead or Alive's 'Turn Around and Count 2 Ten' (7" version) is an oversight. No doubt they don't have it and couldn't track it down. Whoever cleared out the Rage library in '95 should be shot.

I ain't to impressed with the Playlist at all!

The first 2 hours is complete S H I T!

Why do they have to start with the complete modern rubbish so called 'Gay Icons'?

I for one LOVE 'Into Deep' and anything besides 'Spin Me Round' is welcomed THOUGH I have it on the official DVD an want 'Turn Around'... !

They are playing Sheena Easton's 'Sugar Walls', Tight Fit's 'Fantasy Island' and Tina Arena's 'I Need Your Body' from my list so yeah...

Overall, a BAD Playlist really!

I am SO upset about not getting Boy George with 'Sold'!

HIGHLIGHTS FOR ME:

BETH DITTO I Wrote The Book
DAVID ARNOLD & DAVID MCALMONT Diamonds Are Forever
MADONNA Secret (Dan-O-Rama mix)
ADEVA Warning!
SINITTA Right Back Where We Started From
TIGHT FIT Fantasy Island
SHEENA EASTON Sugar Walls
SHAMPOO I Know What Boys Like
DIVINE Walk Like A Man
SAMANTHA FOX Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now
YAZZ Stand Up For Your Love Rights
SOFT CELL Bedsitter
DEAD OR ALIVE In Too Deep
TINA ARENA I Need Your Body

I to hope 'Stand Up For Your Love Rights' is the normal video. I have it from an old tape I recorded back in 1988 from 'Video Hits' BUT will be nice to see the 'WHITE" version again on rage!

Looking forward to seeing 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now'. Pure SA&W. It will be a good laugh. All I can remember is Sam in her swimsuit by the pool. Haven't even bothered to see if this vid is on YouTube, so this will be the first time I have seen it since '87.

I did have the VHS tape of '87 Hots Up' (which features this song), but I got rid of it a few years later. Doh!

I'm pretty disapointed with the playlist - especially since I was so keen on seeing an all night Mardi Gras special.

I mean seriously - what are Kenny Loggins, Sophie B Hawkins and Ian Dury doing on the list? Doesn't make much sense to me.

There are some good tunes there I admit but it appears most of the forum users' suggestions were 'politely' ignored. It seems the Rage vault was well and truly wiped out during the video clip clean out in the 90's.

Would have loved to have seen Life at the Outpost, some more Soft Cell, some rare Divine, etc.

I think tonight's special makes a case for getting a guest programmer in who KNOWS what a Mardi Gras special SHOULD be about!

have the Samantha Fox 'GREATEST HIT' vhs but still nice to see that rage have managed to get more RARE Samantha Fox video's.

I saw first 'Nothing Gonna Stop Me Now' on SOUNDS back in 1987.

Look, there is a lot of camp stuff tonight but for an actual FULL Mardi Gras special I think rage could have done SO much better!

I WISH I could have programmed the Mardi Gras special, it would have been a BLAST!

My rough Playlist would include:

Dead or Alive - Turn Around And Count 2 Ten
Divine - I'm So Beautiful
Jesus Loves You - Generations Of Love
Man To Man - Male Stripper
Dance Like A Mother - You Ain't So Tough
Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
Bacarra - Yes Sir I Can boogie
Tina Charles - I Love To Love
Toto Coelo - Milk From the Coconut
Tight Fit - Fantasy Island (RAGE ARE PLAYING :-)
Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls (RAGE ARE PLAYING :-)
Sheena Easton - What Comes Naturally
Wham! - Bad Boys
Holly Johnson - Americano's
Holly Johnson - Love Train
Stacey Q - We Connect
Vanity - Pretty Mess
Carol Hitchcock - Get Ready
Eartha Kitt - Where Is My Man
Bananarama - I Can't Help It
Nina Hagen - Zarah
Marilyn - You Don't Love Me
Boy George - Sold
Boy George - No Clause 28
Boy George - Funtime
Hazel Dean - Searchin'
Fancy - Slice Me Nice
Fancy -Chinese Eyes
Kim Wilde - The Touch
Kim Wilde - In My Life
Bonnie Tyler - If You Were A Woman And I Was A Man
Den Harrow - Bad Boy
Fancy - Slice Me Nice
Fancy -Chinese Eyes
Ivan Cattaneo - Saint Tropez twist
Ivan Cattaneo - Geghege
Collette - Who Do You Think You Are
Tiffany - Radio Romance
Evelyn Thomas - High Energy
CHaka Khan - This Is My Night
Petula Clark - Downtown '88
Bros - I Owe You Nothing
S Express - Hey Music Lover
Zah Zah Zah - Zah House
Yazoo - The Other SIde Of Love
Erasure - O'Lamour
Dollar - O'Lamour
Kelly MArie - Feels Like I'm In Love
Trans X - Living On Video
Bananarama -Shy Boy
Sinitta - Cross My Broken Heart
Real Life - God Tonight
Kylie Mole - So Excellent
Kylie Minogue - What Do I Have To Do
Donna Summer - Dinner With GErshwin
Bronski Beat - Why
Nolans - Gotta Pull Myself Together
Laura Brannigan - Self Control
Scandal - The Warrior
Ken Lazlo - Hey Hey Guy *****
Kissing The Pink - Certain Things Are Likely
Rechenel - Dance Around The World
Sondra Pill - Nasty
Nolans - Attention To Me
SOnia - Never STop Me Loving You
Eighth Wonder - Baby Baby
Melissa - My House
Melissa - Skin To Skin
Take That - Do What You Like
Collette - Who Do You Think You Are
Sheila E - Belle Of St Mark
Scatt Brothers - Life At The Out Post
Company B - Fascinated
Village People - Sex Over The Phone
Paul Zone & Man 2 Man - At The Gym
Keren & Chelle - sugar daddy
Bananarama - Only Your Love
Janet Jackson - Dream Street
Mandy Smith - Positive Reaction
Sylvester - Someone Like You

MAY I ADD:

Ignatius Jones with "Like A Ghost"

How ridiculous that he is NOT being played, appalling beyond belief seeing he was in charge of the parade and also did Gay Games e.t.c.!!!!

rage starts with f u c k i n g crap a s s
KE$HA We R Who We R... and NOT Jimmy And The Boys or Ignatius Jones when Ignatius was one of THE first gay eccentric Australian musicians back in the late 70s and has done so many gay parade's, WHAT THE F U C K !

'87 Hots Up was released on VHS? Must get! Though I've probably got most of the videos for the songs on it, it holds a special place in my heart as the first compilation tape I purchased.

Great playlist Jason; better than the rage one.

Patrick - I guess Sophie B Hawkins is on the playlist as she's singing about a woman? I'm happy to see this clip on Rage, but yes it doesn't seem *that* much 'Mardi Gras'.

The first Mardi Gras special I caught on Rage was in '96, back when I didn't routinely watch/take notice of the Saturday night playlist. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see some trashy clips/styles of music that they didn't usually play, in their mid 90's 'alternative' phase.

I really wanted Rage to get a guest programmer in who knew their stuff when it came to Mardi Gras music.

I did suggest several times that Ignatius Jones guest program it - which would have been BRILLIANT, but sadly it was not to be.

Totally agree with your playlist Jason - looks much more fab than what Rage played last night. Why can't loyal viewers such as you, me and others program Rage? A wasted opportunity for sure.

Oh well, I'll still suggest another Mardi Gras special next year in the hope they get it right next time.

Fu¢king hell, the work experience kid/MediaHub was let loose again last night. These clips were stretched horizontally (making the people look 'fat'):

DANNII Everlasting Night (MDS)
BLACK BOX Fantasy (BMG)
CULTURE BEAT Got To Get It (Sony)
SHAMPOO I Know What Boys Like (EMI)

I really wanted the last 3, too, and sacrificed Betty Boo's "Where Are You Baby" (which I've already got in good quality from other sources) for Shampoo, switching the ratio before the end of the Betty Boo clip

Not. happy. Rage.

At least I got Sam Fox in the right ratio... oh well.

Did anyone catch the Betty Boo clip in 4:3 aspect ratio? If so, I'm interested in trading/buying.

They also fu¢ked up Wham's 'I'm Your Man' on the Saturday morning one hour slot. How hard can it be to air these videos correctly, seriously?

Patrick
I'm pretty disapointed with the playlist - especially since I was so keen on seeing an all night Mardi Gras special.

I mean seriously - what are Kenny Loggins, Sophie B Hawkins and Ian Dury doing on the list? Doesn't make much sense to me.

There are some good tunes there I admit but it appears most of the forum users' suggestions were 'politely' ignored. It seems the Rage vault was well and truly wiped out during the video clip clean out in the 90's.

Would have loved to have seen Life at the Outpost, some more Soft Cell, some rare Divine, etc.

I think tonight's special makes a case for getting a guest programmer in who KNOWS what a Mardi Gras special SHOULD be about!

Re.Ian Dury-instead of Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick,Rage could've been more tongue in cheek and played I Want To Be Straight.

Just gone through the rest of last night's Rage...

More ratio fu¢k ups with:

Usura 'Open Your Mind'
Amber 'Sexual'

They should almost have a special featuring all of their fu¢ked up ratio clips.

ohnoitisnathan
Did anyone catch the Betty Boo clip in 4:3 aspect ratio? If so, I'm interested in trading/buying.

I did, did you still want it?

They also f*cked up Euphoria's "one in a million". the logo and song title were half off the screen, plus I lost the edges of the video, what are those idiots doing at rage? The first few seconds of Deborah Harry's "I want that man", and Belinda Carlisle's "Summer rain" were also screwed, like they cutted in too late, some meathead asleep at the wheel? I really wanted those clips. :( Funny how none of the alternative stuff never messes up.

Mark from 2PR FM
ohnoitisnathan

I did, did you still want it?

Sure!

Mark from 2PR FM

They also f*cked up Euphoria's "one in a million". the logo and song title were half off the screen

I got that clip in the right ratio, but had to switch to 4:3 letterbox display. I can trade you for this if you want. I've also got in on an official Video Hits DVD, but it doesn't have the 'Euphoria' title screen before the song starts that they aired on Rage last night, which I'd never seen before.

Mark from 2PR FM
The first few seconds of Deborah Harry's "I want that man", and Belinda Carlisle's "Summer rain" were also screwed, like they cutted in too late,

The copy of 'Summer Rain' they re-acquired last year seems to start half a second into the clip, it seems. It's aired 3 times now over the last year and a bit, and every time it's had this intro. The moderator has said on the Rage forum that sometimes when they get an old clip it might have a split second missing from the beginning/end. Their copy of Yazz's 'The Only Way Is Up' cuts out a few seconds before the end, too.

Nathan,

I have Betty Boo in the right aspect ratio.

I was ****** with some ratio's being stretched!

The ones that were supposed to be in 4.3 I have put in the 16.9 so they don't cut off.

Let me know if you want Betty Boo and anything else!~

The audio on Sheena Easton's "Sugar Walls" was absolutely butchered.

Least they got it out, obviously it's from right behind the couch as the picture was great but the audio was so scary with it slowing down and sounding like a tape chewing up.

Will have to get my friend to put audio over the video and then it will be crisp and new like :-)

Give me a few hours, I'll get the Betty Boo video for Nathan, and give the Sheena Easton Video a new soundtrack, I've got Sheena Easton's greatest hits CD. I'll see if I can do a fresh re-sync in Sony Vegas.

Nathan, you have an e-mail. :) :)

Jason "The Moderator"

Least they got it out, obviously it's from right behind the couch as the picture was great but the audio was so scary with it slowing down and sounding like a tape chewing up.

Will have to get my friend to put audio over the video and then it will be crisp and new like :-)

Sorry Jason, I had a look at the sheena easton video clip and yes, it is a real mess. I imported the rage clip into Sony Vegas, and made a fresh rip from Sheena's greatest hits CD, but could not get the video and audio to sync. Each part of the video is at a different speed, meaning that the video syncing is also at a different speed in different areas. It didn't matter how much I stretched or squeezed the video, I didn't want to mess with the audio, and thus didn't want to muck around with the video too much either. If the video was too slow or fast, it would of just been a matter of stretching the video accordingly, but in the space of the entire track, it goes at about three different speeds in about six different segments.

Mark from 2PR FM
Nathan, you have an e-mail. :) :)

Jason "The Moderator"

Sorry Jason, I had a look at the sheena easton video clip and yes, it is a real mess. I imported the rage clip into Sony Vegas, and made a fresh rip from Sheena's greatest hits CD, but could not get the video and audio to sync. Each part of the video is at a different speed, meaning that the video syncing is also at a different speed in different areas. It didn't matter how much I stretched or squeezed the video, I didn't want to mess with the audio, and thus didn't want to muck around with the video too much either. If the video was too slow or fast, it would of just been a matter of stretching the video accordingly, but in the space of the entire track, it goes at about three different speeds in about six different segments.

I know, when I was watching it again I knew it would be hard to put audio over it. My close friend who does it would have HELL on his hands doing the audio over it. I noticed that her voice still syncs with the bad different speeds. There are to many speeds all in one. Such a disappointment :-( I MUST get that video elsewhere!

I reckon we should re-name this airing of 'Sugar Walls' as 'Sugar Warps'