Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Most Wanted Countdowns for Rage 2012

In an effort to ascertain which Countdown episodes - that have not been shown on Rage before - would be most popular for Retro 2012, I propose that we vote for our most wanted episodes. This is only to find out which episodes that Rage have not shown are most popular.

If my maths is still right there are 207 episodes between Feb 1980 and July 1987 yet to be shown on Retro.

If enough people are interested in this exercise we will get an idea of what people most want to see from unaired episodes on Rage. If only a few care we will just have to go with our own selections as suggestions as per usual - I just thought a united approach may be deemed as the preferred method.

Nominate 3 episodes in order from each year that is of personal interest and add a short reason why (artists appearing, hosting etc). If only some years are of interest, then only make suggestions for those particular years.

When it appears that everyone interested has had their say, a top 5 for each year will be compiled, which may include additional tie break votes. Each episode ranked No1 by votes for each year is then lined up against each other and everyone then nominates. Whichever episode gets approval goes into the list of requested episodes and the episode 2nd for that year assumes that years' No1 position and the voting goes again. I would think a final list of 20 episodes would suffice for this.

I would expect that anyone who were to participate in this would accept the group decision vote even if their own preferred episode does not get in - it is an exercise in finding out what the majority would like in regards to un-repeated episodes.

Please indicate if you are interested in this exercise and if at least 5 names are lodged then I will start some threads for each of the years with the valid episodes listed. The episodes contents can be checked on Jason's Countdown Archives section.

Re: Most Wanted Countdowns for Rage 2012

Yes, sounds like a great idea – I’ll be in it.

Very difficult decision to only choose 3 from my list though! But here goes:

8/5/83 – HOST: Eurogliders. REASON: Eurogliders were always great hosts and this episode has a great selection of tracks such as their own clip for No Action, plus it features an interview with Annie Lennox which could be potentially interesting.

22/5/83 – HOST: Molly. REASON: It has the video for the Tears for Fears song ‘Change’, plus features Molly hosting from the Mighty Music Machine store and the ep has a great mix of clips on it.

24/3/85 – HOST: Spandau Ballet. REASON: I’ve been after this one for ages and having a Spandau episode would make for a fine companion to the several Duran Duran hosted shows already aired.

Patrick
That will be 3 episodes per year. So if more people are interested and we do go with this and you were to participate nominating for all years then that is up to 24 episodes (3 x 1980, 3 x 1981 etc).

I'm all for anything that hasn't been repeated and/or won't be affected by copyright crap from 1980-82 and 1987.
Oh,and bring on that Rock Arena episode from '83 with Sharon O'Neill!

Oh I see 3 eps per year, that makes things a little easier!

Sorry I mis-read your post - I'll put my thinking cap on to collate a bigger list.

Great idea though - hope others join in.

Any that haven't been repeated are fine by me as well although the three mentioned by Patrick sound good. Not a fan of 1987 though so prefer 1980-1986.

What I mainly want for 2012 is more then two Flashez clips. Ten at least but preferably 15-20 which would be about five per night.

Ooooh,

This is fun!

SO what year do I start off with?

IS it 3 years I can nominate?

Say 1981 1982 1983 ? Then 3 shows from each year?

Is this right?

All years that have episodes which have not been repeated can be voted on, which are 1980 to 1987. If you want to name 3 episodes in each of those 8 years then you can name up to 24 episodes. If you only want to vote on certain years then that is fine too.

I just want to find out what a general cross section of Countdown fans would like to see amongst the non-repeated episodes and then we could post a group submission for next year.

It looks like there is some interest so I will start up some new threads for each year separately shortly.

I would like to put another standy program which was hosted by Wendy Stapleton from September 29 1981, Summer Special # 3 about New Zealand bands from January 3 1982 and Summer Special # 4 about Export bands from January 10 1982 as my request please.

As anyone who seemed interested in this concept of voting for our collective most interesting Countdown non-repeated episodes seems to have done so now, I will tally up the votes soon and see what we come up with to inspire Rage in 2012.

Thanks to those who took the time to contribute - basically the same people who nominate actual episodes on the Rage Messageboard so this should be a fairly accurate cross section.

Brett is the only person nominating specific episodes on the Messageboard who hasn't done so here so I will include them as well, which were:

Author bleslie
Date/Time 08 Nov 2010 2:17:58pm
Subject Re: Retro Month January 2011
More Countdown requests for January 2011 - none of these shows have been played before and feature a great mix of Australian and Overseas artists. Most have already been requested by other posters as well.
It has been a long time since any show from 1980 has been shown on Rage either!!

February 17 1980 – Skyhooks live in studio with the Reels and JPY, rare overseas clips from The Headboys, Steve Forbet & Flying Lizards

March 2 1980 hosted by Judie Tzuke - highlights 4 live acts including Judie and rare clips from Charlie Dore amongst others.

Sept 28 1980 - 5 live bands including XTC and a review of 17 Australian releases

May 10 1981 - Sheena Easton host with Mi-Sex and Christie Allen live

May 17 1981 - hosted by Ignatius Jones - a great host!! And the other show he hosted which has been shown on Rage was excellent - this will be the same!!

Aug 1 1982 - Eurogliders

Sept 26 1982 - Billy Field

December 2 1984 – Models (James Freud) Live in the studio - a must!!

Guru Bob
As anyone who seemed interested in this concept of voting for our collective most interesting Countdown non-repeated episodes seems to have done so now, I will tally up the votes soon and see what we come up with to inspire Rage in 2012.

Thanks to those who took the time to contribute - basically the same people who nominate actual episodes on the Rage Messageboard so this should be a fairly accurate cross section.

Brett is the only person nominating specific episodes on the Messageboard who hasn't done so here so I will include them as well, which were:

Author bleslie
Date/Time 08 Nov 2010 2:17:58pm
Subject Re: Retro Month January 2011
More Countdown requests for January 2011 - none of these shows have been played before and feature a great mix of Australian and Overseas artists. Most have already been requested by other posters as well.
It has been a long time since any show from 1980 has been shown on Rage either!!

February 17 1980 – Skyhooks live in studio with the Reels and JPY, rare overseas clips from The Headboys, Steve Forbet & Flying Lizards

March 2 1980 hosted by Judie Tzuke - highlights 4 live acts including Judie and rare clips from Charlie Dore amongst others.

Sept 28 1980 - 5 live bands including XTC and a review of 17 Australian releases

May 10 1981 - Sheena Easton host with Mi-Sex and Christie Allen live

May 17 1981 - hosted by Ignatius Jones - a great host!! And the other show he hosted which has been shown on Rage was excellent - this will be the same!!

Aug 1 1982 - Eurogliders

Sept 26 1982 - Billy Field

December 2 1984 – Models (James Freud) Live in the studio - a must!!

Hi Gurubob - sorry I have not been visiting of late - have had some health problems - but good to see things are very active still in here. I assumed everything would die for 11 months as soon as Retro Month was over but glad to see that is not the case.

Great effort in what you have set up in here mate and good to see the great response. Leave those episodes mentioned as my requests for now as I have not had much time to peruse the database myself. My preference has always lay with early 80's rather than mid-to-late 80's Countdowns and I will probably submit a small list of very good unplayed Hitscene episodes for next retro season as well - and the unplayed Six O'Clock Rock and some Flashez.

Of course we can disregard February 17 1980 from the list as they showed that one this year - and it was great to see!!

Regards Brett

Brett (2),

Glad you enjoy my Website and this Forum I created :-)

Love ya all!

Jason "The Moderator"
Brett (2),

Glad you enjoy my Website and this Forum I created :-)

Love ya all!

It's VERY cool that you've brought us mad collectors together. I owe this forum alot via the kind people I have met, Thanks Nathan, Thanks Lee! :)

I'd love the Countdown episode that Eurogliders did 'Maybe Only I Dream' dancing on a matress! Does anyone else remember this is was it a kiddie dream I had?!

Sydney Sean
There was a Countdown clip made for Maybe Only I Dream which was shown on episode 438 October 14 1984 hosted by Los Trios Ringbarkus. I can't recall the clip as to whether they are dancing on a mattress but if you would like to nominate this episode in the 1984 category, the playlist is as follows:

shotlist: 00.00 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS COVERED IN TALC IN DRESSING ROOM;00.19 OPENING TITLES/TEASER;00.42 VS VIDEO CLIP, KAM SHA 'HE WILL SLEEP';04.02 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS & WOOD INTRO;04.45 VS VIDEO CLIP, TINA TURNER 'BETTER BE GOOD TO ME', IV TURNER RE CAREER; ;08.38 VS CHARTBUSTERS, EXCERPTS FROM VIDEO CLIPS:;MACHINATIONS 'NO SAY IN IT';MALCOLM MCLAREN 'MADAME BUTTERFLY';BILLY IDOL 'FLESH FOR FANTASY';DIVINE 'YOU THINK YOU'RE A MAN'; ;12.41 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS LINK, STEPHEN PULLS PLUG & LOSES PICTURE, THEY REPLACE WITH A SIDEWAYS PICTURE OF A PUPPY;17.12 VS VIDEO CLIP, RECORDED IN COUNTDOWN STUDIO, EUROGLIDERS 'MAYBE ONLY I DREAM';20.28 VS COUNTDOWN MAGAZINE PROMO;24.54 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS LINK, NEIL PULLS ROPE, SET COLLAPSES;25.30 VS VIDEO CLIP, PAUL MCCARTNEY 'NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS';29.37 VS VIDEO CLIP, MODELS 'BIG ON LOVE';33.07 VS LOS TRIOS LINK, WITH WOOD & 2 CREW MEMBERS TIED UP AS HOSTAGES;33.43 VS VIDEO CLIP, LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS 'COOKING IN THE KITCHEN';36.40 MS PAUL JENNINGS AS BOB HAWKE PHONING TO DEMAND NEW BRONSKI BEAT VIDEO;36.51 VS BRONSKI BEAT GREETING INTO VIDEO CLIP 'WHY'; ;40.48 VS HUMDRUM, INCL:;MELDRUM IN LONDON, UK TOP 5, USA TOP 5, MELDRUM & MEATLOAF WITH NEW CULTURE CLUB LP; ;44.35 VS VIDEO CLIP, CULTURE CLUB 'THE WAR SONG';48.10 VS LOS TRIOS UNTIE WOOD; ;48.30 VS NATIONAL TOP 10, EXCERPTS FROM VIDEO CLIPS:;PRINCE 'LET'S GO CRAZY';ELTON JOHN 'PASSENGERS';TINA TURNER 'WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT';ZZ TOP 'LEGS';BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'DANCING IN THE DARK';JOHN WAITE 'MISSING YOU';U2 'PRIDE';RAY PARKER JNR 'GHOSTBUSTERS';GEORGE MICHAEL 'CARELESS WHISPER'; ;50.18 VS LOS TRIOS WRAP & APOLOGY;50.41 VIDEO CLIP, STEVIE WONDER 'I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU', CLOSING CREDITS

I would like to see
ep 458 14 April 1985. It has the clip for Walking With A Weight by The Promise. I have been asking for this for Wildcard for a few years with no luck. Not sure if this has been shown already though.
Any other eps from 1985 would be fine with me

Guru Bob
Sydney Sean
There was a Countdown clip made for Maybe Only I Dream which was shown on episode 438 October 14 1984 hosted by Los Trios Ringbarkus. I can't recall the clip as to whether they are dancing on a mattress but if you would like to nominate this episode in the 1984 category, the playlist is as follows:

shotlist: 00.00 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS COVERED IN TALC IN DRESSING ROOM;00.19 OPENING TITLES/TEASER;00.42 VS VIDEO CLIP, KAM SHA 'HE WILL SLEEP';04.02 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS & WOOD INTRO;04.45 VS VIDEO CLIP, TINA TURNER 'BETTER BE GOOD TO ME', IV TURNER RE CAREER; ;08.38 VS CHARTBUSTERS, EXCERPTS FROM VIDEO CLIPS:;MACHINATIONS 'NO SAY IN IT';MALCOLM MCLAREN 'MADAME BUTTERFLY';BILLY IDOL 'FLESH FOR FANTASY';DIVINE 'YOU THINK YOU'RE A MAN'; ;12.41 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS LINK, STEPHEN PULLS PLUG & LOSES PICTURE, THEY REPLACE WITH A SIDEWAYS PICTURE OF A PUPPY;17.12 VS VIDEO CLIP, RECORDED IN COUNTDOWN STUDIO, EUROGLIDERS 'MAYBE ONLY I DREAM';20.28 VS COUNTDOWN MAGAZINE PROMO;24.54 VS LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS LINK, NEIL PULLS ROPE, SET COLLAPSES;25.30 VS VIDEO CLIP, PAUL MCCARTNEY 'NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS';29.37 VS VIDEO CLIP, MODELS 'BIG ON LOVE';33.07 VS LOS TRIOS LINK, WITH WOOD & 2 CREW MEMBERS TIED UP AS HOSTAGES;33.43 VS VIDEO CLIP, LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS 'COOKING IN THE KITCHEN';36.40 MS PAUL JENNINGS AS BOB HAWKE PHONING TO DEMAND NEW BRONSKI BEAT VIDEO;36.51 VS BRONSKI BEAT GREETING INTO VIDEO CLIP 'WHY'; ;40.48 VS HUMDRUM, INCL:;MELDRUM IN LONDON, UK TOP 5, USA TOP 5, MELDRUM & MEATLOAF WITH NEW CULTURE CLUB LP; ;44.35 VS VIDEO CLIP, CULTURE CLUB 'THE WAR SONG';48.10 VS LOS TRIOS UNTIE WOOD; ;48.30 VS NATIONAL TOP 10, EXCERPTS FROM VIDEO CLIPS:;PRINCE 'LET'S GO CRAZY';ELTON JOHN 'PASSENGERS';TINA TURNER 'WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT';ZZ TOP 'LEGS';BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'DANCING IN THE DARK';JOHN WAITE 'MISSING YOU';U2 'PRIDE';RAY PARKER JNR 'GHOSTBUSTERS';GEORGE MICHAEL 'CARELESS WHISPER'; ;50.18 VS LOS TRIOS WRAP & APOLOGY;50.41 VIDEO CLIP, STEVIE WONDER 'I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU', CLOSING CREDITS

Thanks SO much Bob! That would be EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Am gald I wasn't 'dreaming' and hope it gets played someday!

I guess it makes sense...'Maybe Only I Dream' and a matress (bed)!

@ Guru
I thought you wouldn't tally up the requested episodes for at least a couple more months. I still have to get my s h i t together. February is a crazy month for me and everyone. I know if we leave it too long, these posts can get lost in the forum, but if someone adds a new thread each week or second week (for each Countdown year that you have listed) and says 'Please remember to update', we can keep this at the top of the page and keep it alive for a couple more months.

Grace Knight told me about this Countdown video, me WANT!!!!

Michael
I guess it makes sense...'Maybe Only I Dream' and a matress (bed)!

@ Guru
I thought you wouldn't tally up the requested episodes for at least a couple more months. I still have to get my s h i t together. February is a crazy month for me and everyone. I know if we leave it too long, these posts can get lost in the forum, but if someone adds a new thread each week or second week (for each Countdown year that you have listed) and says 'Please remember to update', we can keep this at the top of the page and keep it alive for a couple more months.

Michael
I will do an update tally soon but it will certainly remain open until about July. August is usually the time I start to make suggestions as that gives Rage a reasonable amount of time to find material.

OK - thanks.

Interesting to see that most votes have been received for 1987 with 9 people having left choices or direct comments. This is followed by 1985 with 6 people, 5 for 1981, 82, 83, 84 and 86 and 4 for 1980. Others such as John (1980-82+87) and Gary (1980-86) would be happy with any unrepeated episode from certain years and did not nominate any specific ones.

Using a 3-2-1 voting system in the order that people have nominated episodes brings an updated tally thus far as follows:

11 votes Aug 3 (Dugites)
5 votes March 2 (Judie Tzuke)
4 votes Aug 17 (radio DJ's)
3 votes Sept 28 (individual bands)
2 votes May 11 (Bob Geldhof)
1 vote Oct 12, March 9 and Sept 7

10 votes (5 people) May 17 (Ignatius Jones)
10 votes (4 people) May 10 (Sheena Easton)
3 votes Feb 22 (Little Nell)
3 votes Sept 29 (standby program Wendy Stapleton)
2 votes Oct 25 (Sharon O'Neill)
1 vote Nov 8, March 15, Sept 2

7 votes Aug 1 (Eurogliders)
4 votes Sept 26 (Billy Field)
4 votes April 25 (Split Enz)
3 votes Sept 5 (Billy Miller)
3 votes March 21 (Molly interviews Duran)
3 votes Jan 3 (Summer Special NZ Bands)
2 votes Sept 19 (Globos)
2 votes Oct 31 (Australian Made)
2 votes Jan Jan 10 (Summer Special Export bands)
1 vote Aug 29 and Feb 28

9 votes May 8 (Eurogliders)
6 votes June 19 (Bonnie Tyler)
5 votes April 10 (Globos)
4 votes May 22 (Molly)
3 votes Oct 2 (Marc Hunter)
2 votes Aug 26 (Greedy Smith)
1 vote July 10

9 votes Nov 4 (Lyn Buckfield)
7 votes Dec 2 (Molly)
3 votes Dec 9 (Molly)
3 votes Aug 26 (Molly)
3 votes Oct 14 (Los Trios Ringbarkus)
1 vote Aug 19 and June 3

6 votes March 24 (Spandau Ballet)
6 votes April 14 (Tom Carroll)
5 votes Nov 10 (Koo De Tah)
3 votes Oct 13 (Lyn Buckfield)
3 votes Feb 10 (Kate Ceberano)
2 votes July 14 (Molly)
2 votes June 16 (Molly)
2 votes April 7 (Molly)
1 vote Oct 6 (Rockhampton)

10 votes July 20 (Russell Mulcahy)
3 votes Nov 2 (Elton John)
3 votes May 25 (Video Story Board)
3 votes June 15 (Brian Canham)
2 votes Nov 23 (Australian Made tour)
1 vote Oct 26, March 2 and Sept 7

13 votes March 22 (Chantoozies)
6 votes Feb 22 (David Reyne)
5 votes March 15 (Cockroaches)
4 votes May 31 (Painters & Dockers)
3 votes March 1 (Dave Stewart)
3 votes June 14 (Warrick Capper)
2 votes April 5 (Paul Young)
2 votes March 29 (Mondo Rock)
2 votes May 16 (Jason Donovan)
2 votes July 5 (Jenny Morris)
1 vote April 19, June 7, April 26

If Michael, Brett (2) and anyone else who was vaguely interested in voting for most wanted Countdowns next summer can leave their feedback soon I will progress to the next stage of this voting.

To find the most wanted Countdowns in order the top vote getters from each year will be lined up (eg Aug 3 1980, May 17 1981, Aug 1 1982 etc to March 22 1987 - at this stage anyhow) and anyone interested will nominate their favourite purely on the top episodes from each year that the group have collectively suggested as I want to see what a majority of fans would agree on the most.

The top vote getter will take the number 1 ranking. The 2nd ranked episode from the year that was chosen would then take the top selection choice and the process would be repeated.

I have a capability of making things sound complex so I will give an example. If the top episodes are as current:
Aug 3 1980, May 17 1981, Aug 1 1982, May 8 1983, Nov 4 1984, March 24 1985, July 20 1986 and March 22 1987
and the most votes went to the March 22 1987 ep then it would take the No.1 rank.

The 2nd most popular from the year chosen (which would be Feb 22 1987) would replace it and the list would then be:
Aug 3 1980, May 17 1981, Aug 1 1982, May 8 1983, Nov 4 1984, March 24 1985, July 20 1986 and Feb 22 1987
and voting done again to find the 2nd ranked episode.

Not sure if I clarified that or made it more confusing.

Anyhow, I will start on this in about a month's time.

Hopefully the spammers will f&%#@k off by then as it is killing the look of this forum.

Hi

Sorry to be a pain but having seen both of these eps on timecode can I replace my request of May 11 1980 with June 8 1980?

Hopefully the spammers will go away if we ignore them long enough.

benji2

Sure, no worries.

Whoopsie, I've just re read this and didn't realise it was a voting poll initially! Therefore I request 1984, Oct 14, Los Trios Ringbarkas (for the Eurogliders 'live' clip) X 10 million thanks!

I agree that the focus is on surviving episodes, but am I right in suspecting that many clips from incomplete episodes transmitted up to 1980 still exist? I remember Guru I think even mentioning a while back that many of the performance from the 1974 shows may exist (?) as copies were struck off or the video was cut up for inclusion in other shows or archival storage.

I've been wondering for a while if Doug Parkinson and the Southern Star Band's performance of Keith Kerwin's 'You Ain't Going Nowhere Without Me' still exists? It was included in a missing September 1979 episode of the show. A similar live in the studio appearance of 'I'll Be Around' from the same album was included in a March episode that still exists and has been repeated (show 184 according to my records).

I'm not sure how to check if it exists. Anyway, some obscure stuff like that would be welcome during a retro night, maybe to break up some complete 1980 episodes. Some of the more well known orphaned material has of course been released on some of the collections like the early years I suppose - but I suspect that the aforementioned clip was probably only ever televised twice.

Hi Guru, do we start voting on the most requested episodes you've listed from 1980-1987? I guess it's very soon that we bombard rage!

I worked out your voting system. Nice. Perhaps start a new post with just the voting info and episodes we vote for? This post is pretty exhausted and too much info to digest now. I guess we don't want to alienate anyone from showing an interst and voting.

Michael
When the spammers went crazy and the forum shut down, I posted the results to date of the voting on the Rage website. I wasn't sure there would be further input due to the site problems and I like to put suggestions in around August as it can take the ABC time to find episodes and transfer them to digital Betacam or whatever it is that they do.

I was going to have a second round of voting to sort out an exact order of the most wanted but have decided against that - at least for the time being. The Rage crew will have their own agenda anyhow and I will just hope that they will take some notice of the more popular suggestions from a range of people.

If you want to add anything - either support certain suggestions or make some of your own (as you hadn't participated in any voting) - it may be easiest to just do it on the Rage Messageboard but be prepared to wait up to 10 days for them to update it. That way it will also show Rage that viewers are interested in Countdown.

Thanks for the info. I guess you can post normally on the rage Messageboard if you are logged in as just a guest? I did vote for the 22 Feb '87 episode hosted by David Reyne in the early days of this post, but then I got caught up with other stuff going on (as we all do). I also saw the cut and paste of the list you put up on the messageboard a few weeks ago. Cheers.

I think this might be the Eurogliders clip you're talking about... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OaoEFgJNQc

It definitely is! Quite a few here have been talking about this performance. I think it was SydneySean that mentioned it originally. Do you know when this was uploaded onto YouTube? Just recently I guess?

WOW, it's FINALLY on You Tube!

Grace talks about this in the interview I did with her which will be uploaded by the end of this year as she is being a bit of a Diva with the editing!

When she mentioned this performance I was so DESPERATE to have it and here it is, now rage NEEDS to play THIS in January QUICK SMART!!!

So what date is this Countdown, me wanty SOOOOOO much!

Okay, October 14, 1984!!!

The clip went up in the early hours of this mmorning, after I searched to see if the video was already on YT, and found this forum with various people asking for it! :) I don't have the whole show though.

THANK YOU for uploading it!!! :-)