Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Australian 80s Compilation Project.

Hi all, I'm currently doing a project which is to try and find every track on CD, that was released onto those 80s compilations back when there was 1981 Over the Top, 1982 With A Bullet, 1982 Up In Lights, 1983 The Hot Ones, and so on.

Though it's hard to believe, as a CD collector over the last 20 odd years, I've been able to reconstruct many of these compilations from my CD collection, including all the right single edits, original mixes and so on.

One of the compilations I'm trying to complete at the moment is 1984 Shaken. Thanks to Brett, I'm one step closer to finishing this one, as he has kindly assisted me with locating some very rare "Little Heroes" stuff, I now have a clean CD copy of the song "Bon Voyage". I now have all the songs from this compilation, except for the very difficult to find Venetions "Chinese Is", I just don't think I'm going to find this one on CD, nor a very clean Vinyl restore, which would also suffice.

At present, I'm working on the Polystar Compilation "Turn it up 1985" which was release around Autumn of that year. Again, I have all the tracks on CD, except for a difficult to find Renee Geyer song called "All my love". Upon doing some research, the track was released on a Japanese only CD called "Sing to Me" released through WEA. Here is the album info

http://www.discogs.com/Ren%C3%A9e-Geyer-Sing-To-Me/release/1294528

Looking on ebay, I unfortunately get the dreaded "0 matches" when looking. If anyone has a copy of this CD, I would be very glad to do a trade on what comps I've already compiled, any help would be much appreciated.

As noted before, I politely ask NO MP3s as I dislike the hollow sound of them. Many thank and any help would be much appreciated.

Re: My Australian 80s Compilation Project.

Hi Mark, I have Venetians 'Chinese I's' on CD. It's on a 'Best Of 80's' compilation that was released by J&B in the very early 90's. I can upload it tonight in a wave file if you like.
I also have the Renee Geyer CD 'Sing To Me'.

brett
Hi Mark, I have Venetians 'Chinese I's' on CD. It's on a 'Best Of 80's' compilation that was released by J&B in the very early 90's. I can upload it tonight in a wave file if you like.
I also have the Renee Geyer CD 'Sing To Me'.

If I can please, please get the two tracks Venetians "chinese Is" and Renee Geyer's "all my love" in WAVs, that would be b l o o d y awesome. This will mean that I' have 1984 Shakin, and Turn it up 1985 all taken care of.

I've just purchased a best of Rocky Sharpe CD off ebay, so now I've just totally cleaned up on 1982 out of the Blue.

The next one in the firing line is the PolyStar comp Hitwave 1982. Once again I have all the tracks, except for another difficult to find gem, The Orphans "hip shake jump", which from memory is the third last track on Side B of that compilation.

I did find a 320 MP3 of the Orphans on a blog, but when checking it in the spectrum-scanner of Adobe Sound Booth, it was an upsample of a 128k MP3. Why people upsample MP3's is logic I'll never understand.

If you e-mail your address info at radio2prfm (at) optusnet.com.au, and let me know what comps you're after, I might be able to help, as now I've already got about 16 completed comps, and with these three, it will bring it up to about 19. This is covering the 1980 to 1984 period. I already know off hand that I can easily complete quite a few of them from the 1985 to 1987 period, as from 1987 on, they were all released to CD anyway.

I know I have all the right tracks to reconstruct the Hits Awesome 1986 comp. This is after my recent acquisition of a nice clean FLAC copy of the single version of Simply Red's "holding back the years". But this is a little further down the track, I'm still concentrating on the early 80s stuff.

Hi Mark, No worries, will do that tonight. I have The Orphans song that you are after, But the 7" single is in a bad way.

Thanks Brett for the Orphans offer. I have this song too on the original hitwave 82 comp.

There are going to be some compilations I'll most probably have to just rip direct as the CD copy of certain tracks are going to be inpossible to locate. I'm kind of holding this part of the exercise off, because I'm a rather fussy person. I will literally take almost an hour to restore a vinyl track to near CD quality, when that occasion comes. I will do this to the missing tracks for each comp.

I can't remember what tracks exactly, but some comps that are going to be inpossible are,
1981 in the Bag - Telmak (6 tracks missing)
1981 Straight Ahead - Ktel (3 tracks missing)
and 1982 The Winners - Polystar (2 tracks missing)

I know with 1982 the Winners example, there is a Doug Parkenson track on there, which I'll have no chance in hell of finding on CD. Doug Parkenson was with EMI from 1968 to 1975, and then switched to CBS from 1978 to 1982. It seems all the Parkerson stuff from the CBS era has been lost, as Sony refuse to release it to CD.

Hi Mark, I have e-mailed you the link for the Venetians and Renee Geyer songs.

Yep, just got it, very much appreciated. :)

Mark from 2PR FM
Thanks Brett for the Orphans offer. I have this song too on the original hitwave 82 comp.

There are going to be some compilations I'll most probably have to just rip direct as the CD copy of certain tracks are going to be inpossible to locate. I'm kind of holding this part of the exercise off, because I'm a rather fussy person. I will literally take almost an hour to restore a vinyl track to near CD quality, when that occasion comes. I will do this to the missing tracks for each comp.

I can't remember what tracks exactly, but some comps that are going to be inpossible are,
1981 in the Bag - Telmak (6 tracks missing)
1981 Straight Ahead - Ktel (3 tracks missing)
and 1982 The Winners - Polystar (2 tracks missing)

I know with 1982 the Winners example, there is a Doug Parkenson track on there, which I'll have no chance in hell of finding on CD. Doug Parkenson was with EMI from 1968 to 1975, and then switched to CBS from 1978 to 1982. It seems all the Parkerson stuff from the CBS era has been lost, as Sony refuse to release it to CD.

Hi Mark

What's the other track from The Winners that you are missing? I have most of these?

Hi Mark

I did this project a couple of years back. I have all the 80's compilations and burnt them all onto CD. All my comps are in very good to excellent condition (the cover and record). It was a long project, that took about 9 months. I also did the artwork for the CD's. I colour copied all the record covers to CD size and laminated them, did the CD spines and the tracklisting on the back all in the same text style and colour as the record - pretty much a replica of the record to CD. They look amazing and I'm sure John and Jason will agree on this, as I have done them some copies.

I know the record companies are never going to re-release these comps again, so I had to reproduce them all to make them look like the official CDs. I pretty much burnt every 80's comp from the beginning of 1980 to the end of '86. The rest following, I already had on CD.

Anyway, all the best on this project and getting it completed.