Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Show Radio Birdman was playing on

Hi

One question from last night: What show was that Radio Birdman was playing 'Burn my eye' and 'Kick out the Jams' on? I don't recognise it. I presume it was circa 1977. And who was the interviewer?

An interesting curio - I thought the Radio Birdman clips would be the stock standard ones.

Regards
Ben

Re: Show Radio Birdman was playing on

Not sure what show that was for but I assume that it is the same footage that we usually see of them. Ronnie Sparks did some interviews with the audience.

I don't think it would have been for an episode of Flashez as 5:30pm is probably not the time to show that sort of footage.

On Rock Arena Oct 23 1982 they showed the longest version that I am aware of so I am assuming that we are seeing segments of that but I had not seen that interview of the guy and girl fans from the audience before:

RADIO BIRDMAN LIVE;LIB FTG RADIO BIRDMAN LIVE AT MARRYATVILLE HOTEL 21 SEPTEMBER 1977, WHAT GIVES;RADIO BIRDMAN IV RE PERFORMING, BEING ASSERTIVE RATHER THEN AGRESSIVE;LIB FTG RADIO BIRDMAN LIVE AT MARRYATVILLE HOTEL 21 SEPTEMBER 1977;RADIO BIRDMAN IV RE THE BAND, NOT COMMERCIAL;LIB FTG RADIO BIRDMAN LIVE AT MARRYATVILLE HOTEL 21 SEPTEMBER 1977, BURN MY EYE;RADIO BIRDMAN IV RE BAND, TYPE OF MUSIC ETC;LIB FTG RADIO BIRDMAN LIVE AT MARRYATVILLE HOTEL 21 SEPTEMBER 1977, SEARCH AND DESTROY;RADIO BIRDMAN LIVE, ALOHA STEVE & DANNO

Hi, I gathered a number of rarities for this year's Retro Month, one of them was this broadcast quality copy of Radio Birdman performing on episodes 1 of a summer series called 'The Real Thing' (the series started in October 1977 and continued for 13 episodes).

Sadly,from what I can gather from researching the show,this is all that survives from the series & we are incredibly lucky to have this footage (a long story).

The show [The Real Thing] was an attempt to present live acts in Sydney's Studio 22, hence the name for the series (some of the guests included Cold Chisel & Renee Geyer).

The host was radio DJ Ronnie Sparx/Ron.E.Sparx and I must admit I think that the interview conducted with the 'Birdman fans is a fascinating moment in our television/popular culture history.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks OtherJohn for clearing that mystery up - fascinating footage for sure - even though I am not a big fan of the band, it is extremely significant and historic!! Those interviews were superb.

And as you were obviously also behind the unearthing of Dig We Must and Six O'Clock Rock then another major pat-on-the back is needed again. Tremendous work and research and thank you on behalf of all 60's music fans. They are historical pieces of footage - and priceless. What other TV Station in the world is going to play that sort of vintage footage in 2011?

So even though we debate a lot about the merits and otherwise of the Rage team's choice of playlist, I cannot help but be very satisfied at the end of it all. Cannot wait till next year!! Long may this great tradition continue!!

Thanks Brett, I know that we all get a great kick out of seeing some of this pricless material & having it presented to the public once again. I too look forward to 2012 (I have no doubt there will be a few gems ready for next year).

Thanks otherjohn
Appreciate the info. Just a pity when we learn that something else from the 70's survives that it is the only thing that has from that show otherwise I would be putting in a request for next year.

I hope you can bring a few interesting Flashez segments to the programmers notice if there are 500 odd in existence as with such a variety there must be a few that can be linked on to other items.

Certainly Gurubob, I love Flashez & it is always worthy for consideration. Thankfully a great portion of the Flashez stories recorded on film have survived.

Many thanks otherjohn for the info. It was a very interesting interview.

I join the others here in saying thanks otherjohn, was a great bit of footage unearthed and your info is absolutely invaluable to us here. Thanks muchly!

Cheers, always a pleasure & I'm always thrilled when Rage plays these fab clips

While we've got your attention otherjohn, do you know if there is anything surviving from Teen Scene with Johnny Chester from the mid 1960's?

Sorry for the delayed response, a bit of a heatwave up here & heat generating laptop was avoided.

I recall that the Johnny Chester (& Chessmen) appearance on Teenscene (somewhere around 1964) does exist in the archives.

Fantastic other john,
It would be nice if a whole episode of Teen Scene existed but with 60's material being so rare even if a single clip were to surface I am sure there would be a few interested in seeing that.

Thanks for the info