Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Retro Week 5

10:00am

MELISSA MANCHESTER You Should Hear How She Talks About You (Arista)
ALVIN STARDUST Weekend (Magnet)
DAVID ESSEX Hot Love (Mercury)
TINA TURNER Nutbush City Limits (ABC)
DEF LEPPARD Rock Of Ages (Polydor)
JON BON JOVI Blaze Of Glory (Mercury)
ELTON JOHN Nikita (RocketRecord Company)
NENA 99 Luftballoons (Epic)

10:30am

PSEUDO ECHO A Beat For You (EMI)
SIMPLE MINDS Promised You A Miracle (Virgin)
PAUL LEKAKIS Boom Boom - Countdown Dance-off (Polydor)
SPARKS Music That You Can Dance To (BMG)
YELLO Tied Up (Universal)
CULTURE BEAT Mr. Vain (Sony)
JAM & SPOON Right In The Night (Sony)

23:56pm

OBIT Harvey James (Rage)
ARIEL Rock'n'Roll Scars (ABC)
SHERBET Sherbet Interview From Flashez 1977 (ABC)

12:00am

SHERBET Howzat (Festival)
SHERBET Sherbet Interview From Flashez 1977 Farewell (ABC)
SHERBET Magazine Madonna (Festival)
SHERBET Sherbet Interview In London (ABC)
SHERBET Rock Me Gently (ABC)
SHERBET Sherbet Interview At The Roxy (ABC)
SHERBS I Have The Skill (ABC)
SHERBS I'm OK (ABC)
JOHN LENNON Instant Karma (EMI)

12:30am

JOHN LENNON Cold Turkey (EMI)
JOHN LENNON Gimme Some Truth (EMI)
JOHN LENNON Power To The People (EMI)
JOHN LENNON Imagine (Polydor)
JOHN LENNON Mind Games (EMI)
JOHN LENNON Whatever Gets You Thru' The Night (EMI)
JOHN LENNON #9 Dream (EMI)
JOHN LENNON Just Like Starting Over (EMI)

1:00am

JOHN LENNON Stand By Me (EMI)
COUNTDOWN December 12th, 1980 (ABC)

1:30am

COUNTDOWN March 17th, 1985 (ABC)
RADIO BIRDMAN TV Eye (Trafalgar Records)

3:00am

RADIO BIRDMAN Kick Out The Jams (Police)
HITSCENE March 1970 (ABC)

3:30am

MONDO ROCK No Time (Columbia)
CHOIRBOYS Fireworks (CBS)
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL Shutdown (EMI)
ROCK ARENA September 9th, 1985 (ABC)
COUNTDOWN August 16th, 1981 (ABC)
COUNTDOWN November 20th, 1983 (ABC)

Re: Retro Week 5

Looks like a great night. Interesting that John Lennon's clips can be played but not the other Beatles? Strange.

I'm definately looking forward to the 17/3/85 Time Bandits ep - should be great.

Seems a fair mix of 70s/80s there - Rage have done a reasonable job in providing musical balance this year.

Even though Retro weeks 1 - 3 were VERY disapointing -except for the unaired 84/85 eps - at least weeks 4 and 5 have been first rate - which is something to be thankful for.

I left a comment on rage messageboard about how pleased I am that they are FINALLY playing MELISSA MANCHESTER "You Should Hear How She Talks About You" !!!

ALSO, FINALLY rage managed to get another early Pseudo video in "A Beat For You" * About time!

Also Gary Glitter and The Sweet being my 2 FAV Glam Rock tracks of all time

"Hello, Hello" and "Love Is Like Oxygen" / Gary Glitter & The Sweet

Sparks looks AMAZING as well :-)

G'day guys,

Can I get clarification from someone regarding the December 12th 1980 episode of Countdown scheduled for tomorrow night please? I've got one from December 14th 1980 - not the same ep?

Hitscene is also listed just as March 1970.

YAY for Melissa Manchester!

TALK..TALK...TALK, TALK, TALK, TALK!!!

Frankster30
G'day guys,

Can I get clarification from someone regarding the December 12th 1980 episode of Countdown scheduled for tomorrow night please? I've got one from December 14th 1980 - not the same ep?

Hitscene is also listed just as March 1970.

Countdown should be Dec 7 1980 as all the material listed in the blurb appears in that episode hosted by Elton John. It appears that they just have funny dates again as they did last week.

I don't have Hitscene playlists - that's Brett's area.

Thanks a bunch for that Guru, much appreciated :-)

@Frankster

Are you able to put up the exact runtimes for Saturday night as listed from the Hub like you did last week?

It was an enormous help and it would be great if you could do that again thanks.

Nice to see an Alvin Stardust clip on Saturday morning and Ms. Manchester - I totally love that song - one of my faves from 1982.

Melissa Manchester will be the full performance ex a 1982 "Best Of" Solid Gold episode from the USA - nice to finally see it on Rage but already have the 1982 Solid Gold episode that it is lifted from - still great to get a better copy.

More than happy with the playlist both AM and PM - with regards to the Hitscene I will have to check my database when I get home from work but no Episode from March 1970 has ever been shown before. I can gurantee the date will be out anyway even if they did have an exact one.

Again all these episode dates seem to be wrong - is 30th November 1983 right for the Split Enz Countdown?.

The problem here is each particular show will have three dates - a taping date (usually Friday before the Sunday Countdown episode) - a transmission date - the actual Sunday broadcast - and a repeat date - in Countdowns case this was the following Saturday - this was the pattern for many many years. GuruBob may be able to verify this in the TV weeks he has, but at some stage the repeated Countdown got switched from the following Saturday to the following Friday - would be after 1983 though.

There is no extra detail in the Guest Programmers & Specials section yet on the Rage site - just gives you a silly squiggle when you click on the link . That would be useful as we could definitely tell which episode the 1985 Rock Arena is - and the Hitscene. Someone should advise the Rage team of this.

Hi Patrick,

Yep sure! As soon as Rage update the details on the iphone app.... last week's is still showing.

Brett (2)
Melissa Manchester will be the full performance ex a 1982 "Best Of" Solid Gold episode from the USA - nice to finally see it on Rage but already have the 1982 Solid Gold episode that it is lifted from - still great to get a better copy.

Always thought it looked like the Solid Gold studio when I saw a part of it on Countdown, but I wasn't sure.

I just had a look and I have the vinyl 12" extended mix of that, doesn't strike me like the kind of song you would do an extended version to - surely they would just add another verse as I can't imagine a guitar solo. Also found a laser disc but it is from 1980 and doesn't feature that song. Am I the last person left who still has one of those, the DVDs of the early 80's only they are the size of a record? I only have 2 laser discs, the other one is for Nena.

SPOILER ALERT

Item: 156

Date of Transmission..: 20-Nov-1983
Program Title.........: COUNTDOWN;SHOW 397
Summary...............: COUNTDOWN HOSTED BY MEMBERS OF BAND, SPLIT ENZ, AND
INCLUDES TIM AND DEBBIE TOURING MOLLY'S HOUSE
COMMENTING ON HIS DECOR AND MOLLY INTERVIEWING TWO
MEMBERS OF BAND, REAL LIFE, BEFORE THEIR USA TOUR. SHOW
ENDS WITH MEMBERS OF SPLIT ENZ PERFORMING AN ACOUSTIC
RENDITION OF 'SUMMERTIME' AND LIONEL RICHIE VIDEO CLIP
'ALL NIGHT LONG'
STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
SPLIT ENZ 'STRAIT OLD LINE'
KIDS IN THE KITCHEN 'CHANGE IN MOOD'
MELISSA MANCHESTER 'NO ONE CAN LOVE YOU MORE'
VIDEO CLIPS:
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'WORKING FOR THE MAN'
MOVING PICTURES 'WHERE THEY BELONG'
SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES 'DEAR PRUDENCE'
THE FIXX 'ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER'
BIG COUNTRY 'IN A BIG COUNTRY'
MOTELS 'SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER'
PAUL YOUNG 'COME BACK AND STAY'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
JOHN JUSTIN 'OUT IN THE OUTBACK'
QED 'EVERYWHERE I GO'
TOP TEN:
PAT WILSON 'BOP GIRL'
BILLY JOEL 'TELL HER ABOUT IT'
MCCARTNEY/JACKSON 'SAY SAY SAY'
PARTON/ROGERS 'ISLANDS IN THE STREAM'
DAVID BOWIE 'MODERN LOVE'
DURAN DURAN 'UNION OF THE SNAKE'
KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND 'GIVE IT UP'
UB40 'RED RED WINE'
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'RECKLESS'
CULTURE CLUB 'KARMA CHAMELEON'
Shotlist..............: NONE
Personalities.........: IAN MELDRUM, MOLLY MELDRUM, COUNTDOWN HOST
SPLIT ENZ, BAND

Patrick

Even though Retro weeks 1 - 3 were VERY disapointing -except for the unaired 84/85 eps - at least weeks 4 and 5 have been first rate - which is something to be thankful for.

Does anyone else think that the abysmal weeks 1-3 were due to Rage's 'real' staff being on annual leave, and replaced by some... 'less talented' programmers? Although that wouldn't necessarily make sense if the Rage forum moderator's claim that they start planning for retro month months in advance is true.

We will have to wait until on the night to find out which Hitscene exactly will be played and there is no info for the 1985 Rock Arena either. I doubt the Rock Arena will be the 3/9/85 I had suggested but is more likely to be the 10/9/85 episode and the 9/9/85 is the recording date. They were all great episodes in 1985 with Suzanne at the helm.

Must say this will build up the anticipation as I watch it live. A bit like when I was watching it in the 90's and didn't know what would be next.

I knew what was coming from at least 1995 when i used to always call the rage line and they would say what shows were on. It was so FUN!

DRATS! ... I SO want it to be the show from 3rd December as it's so fricking AMAZING...

Knowing my luck it will be some disastrous live show with a terrible bogan band!

It still could be the 3rd December as last weekend the 1st December turned into 10th December due to rage not getting dates right!

That is what I am hoping, that the date is just completely wrong altogether as I have noticed that a few they had wrong so far they doubled up the month number with the day number.
Countdown 12/12/80 is 7/12/80
Countdown 12/12/85 (and 10/12/85 on the night) was 1/12/85
Countdown 7/7/81 was 12/7/81

So I am hoping it is another case of day/month double up with 9/9/85 and that date doesn't actually mean anything.

I'm clutching at straws but I like my theory. At any rate Suzanne Dowling will be hosting so it will be great.

I used to be a fan of G. Glitter's once, but have completely lost interest after he was charged for THE MOST wrong crime of all time a few years back.

GoldCoaster78
I used to be a fan of G. Glitter's once, but have completely lost interest after he was charged for THE MOST wrong crime of all time a few years back.

That reminds me of this sleeve someone posted in a thread on another forum, titled 'Record sleeves that unintentionally tell you all you need to know':

After no Flashez for the first four weeks we finally get a couple! They are only Sherbet interviews but still it's better then nothing. Hopefully next year we'll get a lot more then two

A great pity there was no Flashez this year :-(

Flashes should have been played over Recovery and 10:30 Slop.

THANK OUR LUCKY STARS THAT ALL THAT 90s GARBAGE HAS BEEN AXED FOR RETRO 3 AND RETRO 4!

I'm a big Beatles fan but I'd even prefer some Flashez or GTK clips over the Lennon videos which I can get elsewhere.

@Gary
I had to question the John Lennon Special. Wasn't there a CD/DVD digipak released late last year, that had a collection of his videos?

However, this is a great tie in to the 7/12/80 episode hosted by Elton John - who would later record 'Empty Garden' the following year after John's death. I'm really looking forward to this episode as Elton is always a fun person to have on the show. The 28/3/82 episode, that Elton co-hosted with Molly is in my Top 5 Countdowns of all time! Elton singing 3 songs from 'Jump Back' was my first intro to this album and a good preview, which a few weeks later I ended up buying the album. Here's hoping the 2 performances off '21 at 33' are just as good. Then I will consider buying it.

Is it just my reception gone haywire (screen paused, pixellated, and saying 'high definition or scrambled service') at present, or is this yet another MediaHub stuff-up?

I haven't noticed anything, but then again if I am typing then I am not watching. I have got 2 HDDs recording separately, one on channel 2 and one on channel 21.

I did notice that they called the episode Dec 13 1980 (after calling it Dec 12 1980 on Friday) which was the repeat date, the actual episode date is Dec 7 1980.

Michael
@Gary
I had to question the John Lennon Special. Wasn't there a CD/DVD digipak released late last year, that had a collection of his videos?

You might be thinking of Lennon Legend? That has most of his solo vids.

Still no signal 25 mins later

I don't know if there's anything on tonight that I'm 'dying' to see, but this has always been my worst fear with Rage... like it happening during a Wildcard episode or something

edit - ooh, signal just came back. Bloody digital TV...