Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RETRO WEEK 5

Ok, so this is it - next week is the final Retro night for 2011.

So far this year no 82/83 eps have been shown - a first for many years.

I've been posting requests for certain episodes on the Rage forum for ages and no luck for me this year thus far.

Hopefully next week will see a change in fortunes and I have posted my requests yet again on Rage today.

In particular I have suggested and posted the contents list for the 1/8/82 Eurogliders hosted ep which features a performance by The Sherbs (Sherbet). This is the one that has the best chance of getting an airing as it fits in well with the Sherbet theme for next week.

So fingers crossed I'll be a happy camper this time next week - I don't want to be left out!

Re: RETRO WEEK 5

With you all the way on that one Patrick - in fact I think we will all be somewhat disappointed if Rage do not show it - even though the Saturday night just gone was a great one!!

Only one more week to go again before we all have to bide our time for yet another 11 long months!!

I wonder if "Rage" will play the other "Rock Arena" (Rock & Roll Ladies) show which featured an assortment of music video clips by "Divinyls" and "Sharon O'Neill" in Retro Week 5.

Guess what? Rage have posted their preview of next Saturday's Retro already! Here it is:

rage has saved the best for last! In the final show of RETROMONTH for 2011, rage will be kicking off the night with a John Lennon mini special, airing an interview not seen since 1964 and a stack of John Lennon clips including favourites like Instant Karma & Imagine.

We will also be catering to Countdown fans, playing not one but FOUR countdown episodes from the early 1980s, with hostings by Ignatius Jones from Jimmy & The Boys, members from Time Bandits, Split Enz (including Niel & Tim Finn) & Elton John.

Highlights of these episodes include interviews with Spandeau Ballet & Irene Cara, live performances by The Cure, Jimmy & The Boys, Kids in the Kitchen, Split Enz, Russel Morris & The Rubes, Elton John and video clips by Marcia Hines, Rose Tattoo, Prince, Models, Phil Collins, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Mental As Anything, Ian Dury, Bruce Springsteen and more!!

We also have a very special tribute to Harvey James planned, playing some live Sherbet performances and interviews

As if that wasn’t enough rage will be digging out more Rock Arena, Hitscene and some good ole 60s & 70s music!

The Time Bandits ep was one Jason and I suggested - It HAS to be 17/3/85 ep - fantastic!

Not sure what the dates are for the others - anyone have an idea?

Seems like a packed night on Saturday....

Ok I think the Ignatius Jones one is dated 16/8/81. The Split Enz one I assume is the 25/4/82 ep. Not sure about the Elton John ep though.

Even though the Time Bandits ep wasn't on my 'official' list, I would have been happy with either that or the Spandau Ballet one dated a week later so that's good news all round.

Will be interesting to see the other bits and pieces as well - at least Rage have made an effort the last 2 weeks - just a pity it wasn't like this during weeks 1 - 3 .......

OH WOW!

How fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY, the 1985 AND how sewcial for the 1981 episode with Ignatius Jones and Jolene hosting which I am hoping for :-)

FINALLY! ... rage are playing the episode with The Cure live on Countdown from 1981 with Ignatius Jones!

I asked for this episode for b l o o d y years but stopped asking last year as I got over asking.

How FAB!

And to FINALLY get the 1985 Time Bandits / Spandau Ballet is just HEAVEN. HEAVEN and more HEAVEN!

Go Patrick! ... You and I are both getting the 1985 :-)

Still no indication of what exact Countdown episodes are being played, hmmmmmmm. I am DYING to know!

I had made the following suggestions on September 1 & 3 respectively:

"May 17 1981 - hosted by Ignatius Jones, say no more"
"March 17 1985 - hosted by Time Bandits (my 4th year of suggesting this)"

No doubt I will again get into trouble for taking the time to do some research and make suggestions but at the time no one else seemed to care due to a watermark issue.

Brett had also suggested:
"May 17 1981 - hosted by Ignatius Jones - a great host!! And the other show he hosted which has been shown on Rage was excellent - this will be the same!!"

Not sure which episode Elton John is as he was on a lot. Split Enz might be April 25 1982

It's BLISS!

ALL of us have contributed a fab lists of requests this year and this week more is coming. It's FAB!

Just a pity that we haven't managed to get the 1/8/82 episode but to have the amount of Countdowns that they have shown has pleasantly surprised. I had thought we might be lucky to get 6-7 and thought Kyron was being overly optimistic with his 9-12 prediction. We ended up with 16 which I would never have expected (including 7 from my list of suggestions). That must be about the most since we had 20 in 1997. The last 2 weeks of this Retro have been superb.

Indeed :-)

I was NOT expecting to see 16 Episodes of Countdown this month AND also so leased 4 of my requests surfaced and got played.

It's just BRILLIANT !

And yep, the last 2 weeks of this Retro are SUPERB. YAY!

This weeks lineup is looking faaaaantastic, really looking forward to it.

Especially as I had mentally prepared myself for an onslaught of recovery/10:30 slot as last week was just too good and I had my doubts that the Rage team would come through with the goods.

I am very intrigued what year the Kids In The kitchen performance will be?

Either 1983 to 1985.

I hope it's "Not The Way"... How AMAZING!

We ALL deserve a pat on the back for our suggestions this year. Jason, Guru, myself and everyone else have made great suggestions over the time and it's nice to see Rage taking note of them.

I'm still wondering what the Elton John ep is though -something to ponder over for awhile.

Even though the 1/8/82 didn't get an airing this time, I'm really grateful for the support from everyone in backing me up and getting it - maybe next time.

Am looking forward to next Saturday for sure.

Rage seem to love Elton John lately, for some reason. Whilst I like several of his songs when they are covered by others, I've never really been able to stand his music, for some reason. He doesn't impress me that much as a piano player either, despite being revered within the industry.

I had made the following suggestions on September 1 & 3 respectively:

"May 17 1981 - hosted by Ignatius Jones, say no more"
"March 17 1985 - hosted by Time Bandits (my 4th year of suggesting this)"

Guru thanks for making that suggestion as well - your contribution to this forum and elsewhere is MUCH appreciated - it wouldn't be the same without you!

I'd still love to know what that Elton John ep is....I'll be thinking about it until Friday now!

I'm looking forward to the 1964 Lennon interview, that would have to be in Melbourne during their 1964 Australian tour you would think. The Beatles were the first band I liked. I suppose if they can't play their music clips anymore this is the next best thing. At least John Lennon clips aren't caught up in this.

Using a process of elimination Ignatius Jones from Jimmy and The Boys would hopefully have to be May 17 1981 you would think as Russell Morris appears on this (although he also appears on 7/12/80) and he is mentioned in the blurb. Apart from that episode being requested, they have already played 2 others he hosted (May 16 1982 and March 20 1983). He also hosted Aug 16 1981.

There was only one episode that the Time Bandits appeared on and as they lifted the LRB clip from that episode last week you would think they did the whole tape. That will certainly 17/3/85.

I think Split Enz with Tim and Neil would have to be the Nov 20 1983 episode that had Kids In The Kithchen live doing Change In Mood. If it is then that is fantastic as I thought it might have been 25/4/82 which I already have a timecoded copy of.

Elton John would be 7/12/1980 as it has an Irene Cara interview and Bruce Springsteen - The River

Guru,

Cool :-) Thanks for the info!

Probable bad news in that Ignatius May 17 1981 may not be the show as the Cure appear live on the Aug 16 1981 ep. I had been hoping for the May 17 as it looks better.

The Countdowns appear to be:
7/12/1980 hosted by Elton John
16/8/1981 hosted by Ignatius Jones
20/11/1983 hosted by Split Enz
17/3/1985 hosted by Time Bandits

Ok that sounds great - the 1983 ep should be a good one if that's the one being aired.

If that's the case that means this is the first year for a very long time that no 1982 ep has been shown. No 1986 or 87 ep either. Poor old 1987 - one of those hasn't been shown for about 4 or 5 years now. Even decades later it seems there's no love for that year which gave us 'Countdown Pirate TV or CDPTV'....

Thank God Finally, Rage are playing a 1983 Countdown, but still angry a 1986 or 1987 Countdown has;nt been planned and still 1981 and 1985 episodes planned. Get a Grip Rage.

Ahhh,,,

I get confused with the 2 1985 Episodes...

I thought the Spandau Ballet "In the Countdown studio" was being played BUT it's not...

That's right. Time Bandits were on the week before.

I am actually glad they are playing the one with Time Bandits!

been so DESPERATE for this performance!

I can easily live without 1987 episodes though there are 3 that I want due to some video's I want from them!

I would have rather a 1982 or 1986 instead of another boring old 1980 episode which looks bland as ever....

I Love 'Listen To The Man With The Golden Voice"

MUCH more RARE than the Spandau Ballet performances!

My suggestion for a 1987 episode is not because I love CDPTV, but because '87 is one of my fave years for pop, tied with '88 (yes, I know I'm in the minority here). I agree the '87 episodes I've seen don't seem as 'exciting' as the earlier Countdowns, but I'd love to see some of the rarer clips from that time (or even some of the common songs that Rage never play the videos of).

I'm definitely not complaining, but it seems of late that Rage seem to get stuck in particular years for Retro month - i.e. last year it was '82, this year it's been '80/'81/'85.

I am missing Countdown 1982 desperately !!! :-(

I have to say that I would have LOVED a 1986 episode as well :-(

Nathan, though 1987 isn't my favourite year musically from the 80s and I LOVE 1981 to 1985. Some of my MOST favourite tracks EVER are from 1986 and some from 1987.

There are some clips from 1987 Countdown's I am seriously desperate for! SO I do hope next year that rage play at least 2 1986's and 2 1987's :-)

And I have to say that I'm glad rage have played 3 1985 Countdown episodes this year and 1 more to come this weekend AS rage have neglected 1985 through the years A LOT! And I ADORE 1985 Countdown's....

Guru Bob

The Countdowns appear to be:
7/12/1980 hosted by Elton John

This was the Countdown that went to air the night John Lennon was shot. I remember the photo of him in the papers the next day walking thru Melbourne Airport trying to get an urgent flight to Yoko in New York (Elton is Sean Lennon's godfather).

Ahhhh,

Okay. Well then this 1980 Episode seems good they are playing it then. Out of respect for one of the biggest GENIUS we had in music. Mr John Lennon +

I wonder which Rock Arena rage are playing this Saturday night?

Hmmm, I have so MISSED GOOD Rock Arena selections!

i feel like I haven't got my Rock Arena fix this January :-( I TRULY hope that rage play a full on FABULOUS episode! With lot's of video clips!

Some Girls (the other part) for example!

Of Funk Down or the HEAVENLY one Guru asked for with King !!!

I'm just thankful beyond words that neither Recovery nor The 10.30 Slot will be raising their dreaded heads again this year.

May both be banished to Hades for eternity in my book!

Patrick
I'm just thankful beyond words that neither Recovery nor The 10.30 Slot will be raising their dreaded heads again this year.

May both be banished to Hades for eternity in my book!

Absolutely!

I was hoping after last weekends joyous programming that Recovery nor 10:30 Slot would be played for retro 5. That would have just been beyond is disheartening for retro 5!

And I agree, hopefully they will be banished for life.

Jason "The Moderator"
Ahhh,,,

I Love 'Listen To The Man With The Golden Voice"

MUCH more RARE than the Spandau Ballet performances!

Hi Jason

Have you seen their other magnificent video called "STAR", it is a fabulous clip. If you haven't got it and want it then please let me know?

Looking forward to the Time Bandits ep. I recorded this performance the night it aired and its in pretty bad shape now