Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changes this week on Retro

The Rage blurb appears to have changed somewhat as it now mentions:

"rage has also dug out a 1975 Rock Arena special ‘Concert for Bangladesh’ which includes live performances by Daddy Cool, Ayers Rock and Phil Manning and, after a very sad week for music, rage will play a special tribute to the late Steve Prestwich of Cold Chisel including a live Cold Chisel concert from 1980. Next week rage will also play a comprehensive tribute to the late Harvey James of Sherbet."

They must have realised that the GTK they had on Sherbet didn't include Harvey and have postponed it to next week. Hopefully they will add the 1982 Eurogliders Countdown with The Sherbs.

The Rock Arena item appears to be the following, which must have been shown as a stand alone program back in 1975 and was later repeated on Rock Arena.

ID: 334720 - THE BIG ROCK CONCERT

recording date: 20-Apr-1975
duration: SS
summary: ROCK ARENA STORAGE TAPE 87 FROM THE BIG ROCK CONCERT RECORDED 20.4.75.IT WAS A BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE FREEDOM FOR HUNGER CAMPAIGN IN BANGLADESH, AND HOSTED BY JON ENGLISH

personalities: JON ENGLISH, PRESENTER;DADDY COOL, ROCK GROUP;ROSS WILSON, SINGER FROM DADDY COOL;PHIL MANNING, MUSICIAN;AYERS ROCK, ROCK GROUP

shotlist: 0.00 WS DADDY COOL AT SIDNEY MYER MUSIC BOWL STAGE PERFORMING,HIDI HI HIDI HO;8.00 CU WILSON EXPLAINS THE IMPORTANCE OF THE BENEFIT CONCERT;8.17 VS DADDY COOL SING DUKE OF EARL;15.53 VS DADDY COOL PERFORM THE DADDY COOL THEME;18.30 VS DADDY COOL PERFORM EAGLE ROCK, AND GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY, CA TO CROWD;24.00 VS DADDY COOL FINISH;24.07 CU VS ENGLISH TALKS ABOUT THE FREEDOM FOR HUNGER CAMPAIGN IN BANGLADESH AND THANKS THE SPONSORS;25.02 VS MANNING PERFORMS SOLO YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFUL;30.30 VS MANNING SINGS BIG YELLOW TAXI;33.11 VS MANNING SINGS THE ABORIGINE SONG;40.00 VS MANNING PERFORMS WALKIN BLUES AND WISH THERE WAS A WAY;49.00 CU ENGLISH ACKNOWLEGES MANNING AND SPONSORS;50.22 VS AYERS ROCK PERFORM SNOOPIES RETURN;60.30 VS DADDY COOL PERFORM LADY MONTEGO;1.03.15 VS AYERS ROCK PERFORM GOING HOME, BIG RED ROCK, YOU GOTTA YELL AND AN INSTRUMENTAL;1.07.54 CLOSING CREDITS;1.32.18 END

Re: Changes this week on Retro

Guru if Rage include that 82 Eurogliders Countdown next week I'll be delighted beyond words!

A good idea by Rage to postpone the Sherbet tribute - I'm sure the GTK one had already been shown a few years ago anyway. Gives Rage time to find something more appropriate.

The 1975 Rock Arena special doesn't particularly interest me, however I rather have that on than another 70's Countdown repeat so I'm not too fussed about it - I'm somewhat amazed it survived the infamous video cull to be honest.

Oh dear,

I was SO scared when reading this that rage were going to cut off a Countdown this weekend as they are SOOOO good.

The 1975 concert sounds like H E L L but hey... I wouldn't get TO excited about the Sherbet thing being next weekend. It could be hours of Sherbet and The Sherbs without playing Countdown's! :-(

Jason "The Moderator"
Oh dear,

I was SO scared when reading this that rage were going to cut off a Countdown this weekend as they are SOOOO good.

The 1975 concert sounds like H E L L but hey... I wouldn't get TO excited about the Sherbet thing being next weekend. It could be hours of Sherbet and The Sherbs without playing Countdown's! :-(

Knowing our luck, they're going to plonk that stuff first/early on Saturday night... You just know it.

Yep, they probably will. Would LOVE for there to be the 3 Countdown's first so I can go to bed for the rest as I ain't really hanging for Cold Chisel live 1980 at all...

The '75 concert at the Myer Music Bowl is jaw dropping for me...incredibly historic and personally I can't wait to see it. It's infamous for shots of Melbourne's sharpie cult members being in the audience doing their aggressive and scary dances...really amazing stuff.

I think more importantly we should collectively pray to the universe that ABC management doesn't f#@k rage and its viewers over again by wiping the Saturday morning program off for another week of floods coverage...or shorten the duration of Saturday night in favour of more repeats of repeats of repeats...that's what I'm most concerned about

I don't want to be pedantic here, but the date on the Concert For Bangladesh must be wrong. The whole Bangladesh thing was happening in 1971 - George Harrison did his Concert For Bangladesh in that year. Also, if it features sharpies then it would have to be from 1971 or '72 because the whole sharpie thing had well and truly died out by 1975 - the tail end of the Whitlam era when glam, long hair and hippies ruled. If it is in black and white then that would be the clincher as production at the ABC was almost exclusively in black and white right up until the colour tests began in October 1974. Even the first series of Rush - produced in mid 1974 - was in black and white. Also, I'm surprised at the Rock Arena branding. As we all know RA didn't begin until 1982 and they were very rarely into showing old clips unless the band being featured (or a member of the band) had a current hit. Will be very interesting to see this when it goes to air.

While we're on broadcast dates, I'm almost certain that the date for Countdown's December 12th 1985 episode is also incorrect - I have the episodes from December 8th, 15th and 22nd which are all a aweek apart. December 12th would make it a midweek show. Was Countdown also shown midweek in '85? I was only 12 years old back then so can't really remember if there was or not.

John Moulis
I don't want to be pedantic here, but the date on the Concert For Bangladesh must be wrong. The whole Bangladesh thing was happening in 1971 - George Harrison did his Concert For Bangladesh in that year. Also, if it features sharpies then it would have to be from 1971 or '72 because the whole sharpie thing had well and truly died out by 1975 - the tail end of the Whitlam era when glam, long hair and hippies ruled. If it is in black and white then that would be the clincher as production at the ABC was almost exclusively in black and white right up until the colour tests began in October 1974. Even the first series of Rush - produced in mid 1974 - was in black and white. Also, I'm surprised at the Rock Arena branding. As we all know RA didn't begin until 1982 and they were very rarely into showing old clips unless the band being featured (or a member of the band) had a current hit. Will be very interesting to see this when it goes to air.

Hey John,

Good to see you on the boards mate :-)

That is interesting I've gotta say - though on Guru's post above, that program seems to be filed at the ABC as being Storage Tape 87 - unknown if this means 1987 storage tape or their 87th storage tape - implying that it may not be complete but was recorded anyway and is probably an edited master/copy tape which was meant for airplay but never made it? I know there are numerous Countdown storage tapes containing ID's and program breakers etc for Countdown.

So I would take this to mean it probably did go to air in April of '75 but I certainly agree with you about the bangladesh thing happening in 1971. Also the Rock Arena branding is interesting - unless the ABC just recycled the program name when it commenced in '82? But then the other thing is that Daddy Cool are featured doing Hi Hidey Ho (sp?) - I remember this track being on a double album of The Daddy Cool Story released on the MFP label (Music For Pleasure) but with the original label underneath showing through the MFP one as being from Sparmac Records and the album NOT being The Daddy Cool Story but "Sex, Dope 'n' Rock and Roll" by probably the group's alter ego, "Teenage Heaven", which puts that album around 1971?

I'll be watching to satisfy my curiosity anyway :-)