Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage retro 4 blurb

It has been a sad week in music with the horrible news of two iconic Australian performers passing away. So this this weekend we have decided to pay our respects to the late Harvey James and Steve Prestwich with two tributes, Including a live Sherbet recordings from GTK and A Cold Chisel concert from 1980

We will be playing part of the 1975 Concert for Bangladesh including live performances by Daddy Cool, Ayers Rock and Phil Manning

For all you Countdown fans we have 3 special episodes just for you!

Jason "The Moderator"

It doesn't list the Countdown's though?

Haven't we already had this Cold Chisel live concert on Rock Arena in January 2008!

Geeeezus...

Re: rage retro 4 blurb

Oh dear...the only GTK Sherbet concert I'm aware of was before Harvey even joined the band. Harvey joined in 1976...I don't think GTK existed in 1976 did it ? Now I'm worried... If they show a Sherbet "concert" as a tribute to Harvey, and he's not even the lineup it's not going to be a good look at all...

Have a look here Jason:

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s3116567.htm

Three Countdown's seem to be:

Countdown 01-Sep-1985

COUNTDOWN 12-Jul-1981

COUNTDOWN 01-Dec-1985

Looks like 3 UNREPEATED Countdowns which is very good news - they are - Episode 477 from 01/09/85, Episode 490 from 01/12/85 and Episode 292 from 12/07/81

Check additional blurb under "More information about Guest Programmers and Specials"

Countdown 01-Sep-1985

POINTER SISTERS 'DARE ME' FILM CLIP
UNCANNY X-MEN 'STILL WAITING' FILM CLIP
HOOTERS 'ALL YOU ZOMBIES' FILM CLIP
GEISHA INTRO SONG
GEISHA 'RAINY DAY' FILM CLIP

CHART BUSTERS INC FF#4 EXCERPT 'ANGEL' BY SPANIARDS, EXCERPT 'BOY WHO CRIED WOLF' BY STYLE COUNCIL, EXCERPT 'LIFE IN ONE DAY' BY HOWARD JONES, EXCERPT 'IN TOO DEEP' BY DEAD OR ALIVE

BRYAN ADAMS 'SUMMER OF '69' FILM CLIP
ELECTRIC PANDAS 'MISSING ME' FILM CLIP
PHIL OAKEY & GIORGIO MORODER 'GOODBYE BAD TIMES' FILM CLIP
CUMMINGS INTROS SONG
CUMMINGS 'WHAT AM I GOING TO DO' FILM CLIP
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'POWER OF LOVE' FILM CLIP
MADONNA PERFORMS 'DRESS YOU UP' FROM LIVE AID

NATIONAL TOP 10
'LIVE IT UP' BY MENTAL AS ANYTHING
EXCERPT 'MONEY FOR NOTHING' BY DIRE STRAITS
EXCERPT 'ALL YOU ZOMBIES' BY HOOTERS
EXCERPT FROM 'ANGEL/INTO THE GROOVE
EXCERPT FROM 'YOU'RE ONLY HUMAN' BY BILLY JOEL
EXCERPT 'CRAZY FOR YOU' BY MADONNA
EXCERPT 'LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN' BY THE DREAM ACADEMY, EXCERPT 'THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL' BY EURYTHMICS,
EXCERPT FROM 'OUT OF MIND, OUT OF SIGHT' BY MODELS AND EXCERPT WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HERO' BY TINA TURNER
DAVID BOWIE/MICK JAGGER 'DANCING IN THE STREET' FILM CLIP

COUNTDOWN 12-Jul-1981

SNOW COVERED MOUNTAIN WITH COUNTDOWN SIGN PAN L MS MELDRUM ON SKIS INTRO, CA MWS MELDRUM SKIS DOWN SLOPE
LANDSCAPE 'EINSTEIN A GO GO' FILM CLIP

CHARTBUSTERS INC EXCERPT 'SLOW HAND' BY POINTER SISTERS, FF#4 EXCERPT 'SUKIYAKI' BY THE TASTE OF HONEY, EXCERPT 'BEING WITH YOU' BY SMOKEY ROBINSON, EXCERPT 'WHO CAN IT BE NOW' BY MEN AT WORK, EXCERPTS 'FREEDOM OF CHOICE', 'GIRL YOU WANT' AND 'WHIP IT' BY DEVO

MELDRUM LINK WITH KIDS ON SKIS, MELDRUM GOES TO SKI DOWN SLOPE AND (INTENTIONALLY) FALLS
GET WET 'JUST SO LONELY' FILM CLIP

AUSTRALIAN CRAWL PERFORM LIVE ON STAGE 'THINGS DON'T SEEM'
BUREAU 'ONLY FOR SHEEP' FILM CLIP
THE DUGITES 'WAITING' FILM CLIP
RENEE GEYER 'SAY I LOVE YOU' FILM CLIP
MELDRUM LINK (ON CHAIR LIFT)
GEORGE HARRISON 'ALL THOSE YEARS AGO' FILM CLIP
ADAM AND THE ANTS 'STAND AND DELIVER' FILM CLIP

NATIONAL TOP TEN

EXCERPT 'JEALOUS GUY' BY ROXY MUSIC
EXCERPT 'THEY WON'T LET MY GIRLFRIEND TALK TO ME' BY JIMMY AND THE BOYS
'ALL THOSE YEARS AGO' BY GEORGE HARRISON
EXCERPT 'TURN ME LOOSE' BY LOVERBOY
EXCERPT 'GOTTA PULL MYSELF TOGETHER' BY THE NOLANS
EXCERPT 'BAD HABITS' BY BILLY FIELD
EXCERPT 'KIDS IN AMERICA' BY KIM WILDE
EXCERPT 'THIS OLE HOUSE' BY SHAKIN' STEVENS
EXCERPT 'BETTE DAVIS EYES' BY KIM CARNES
COUNTDOWN DANCERS DANCE TO 'STARS ON 45' BY STARS ON 45

COUNTDOWN 01-Dec-1985

THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY MIDGE URE AND THERE WAS NO STUDIO AUDIENCE. MOLLY IV'S BRIAN CANHAM IN CANBERRA, OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT HOUSE, RE 'PRIORITY ONE' YOUTH PROJECT. MOLLY ALSO IV'S PRIME MINISTER BOB HAWKE RE PRIORITY ONE PROJECT AND ANNOUNCES AUSTRALIA WILL BE DONATING TWO HERCULES AIRCRAFT TO LIVE AID TO HELP TRANSPORT FOOD TO AFRICA. HAWKE ALSO HELPS MOLLY ANNOUNCE AUSTRALIAN TOP 5 AND MOLLY PRESENTS HUMDRUM OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT HOUSE, CANBERRA. THIS WEEK NEW SEGMENT 'ARTIST PROFILE' INTRODUCED, FEATURES DAVID KNOPFLER

Great that there are no repeats, but what happened to the Dec 81 ep that was dropped last week? Seems to have been axed altogether - that's not very fair to whoever asked for it.

And I see YET AGAIN no 82/83 eps - it seems this year it's gone AWOL - a HUGE pity.

I note George Harrison's All Those Years Ago clip is mentioned in the 81 ep - one assumes it will be edited out due to Beatles copyright issues??

OMG, the 12-Jul-1981 AND 1/9/1985 are my requests*****

I AM SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!

I HOPE sooo badly that it really is the Dugites actual film clip for "Waiting"! And I FINALLY get The Family with "Screams Of Passion"and Electric Panda's with "Missing Me". I have now had 4 Countdown shows I requested :-)...
And rage are FINALLY playing the 1985 Episode with Midge Ure which was requested for years bt someone, can't remember who? With the live Real Life clip!

I HOPE Patrick gets at least 2 of his requests next week with Spandau and a 1983!

This weekend actually feels like PROPER Retro January, WOW!

Date:1/9/1985
Show no:477
Summary: THIS SHOW HAS NO HOST. MOLLY PRESENTS HUMDRUM.
VIDEO CLIPS:
UNCANNY X-MEN 'STILL WAITING'
GEISHA 'RAINY DAY'
ELECTRIC PANDAS 'MISSING ME'
STEPHEN CUMMINGS 'WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?'
POINTER SISTERS 'DARE ME'
HOOTERS 'ALL YOU ZOMBIES'
BRYAN ADAMS 'SUMMER OF '69'
OAKEY/MORODER 'GOODBYE BAD TIMES'
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS 'POWER OF LOVE'
THE FAMILY 'THE SCREAMS OF PASSION'
SHEILA E 'SISTER FATE'
MADONNA 'DRESS YOU UP' (LIVE AID VERSION)
DAVID BOWIE/MICK JAGGER 'DANCING IN THE STREET' (ENDS
SHOW)
CHARTBUSTERS (EXCERPTS):
SPANIARDS 'ANGEL'
STYLE COUNCIL 'BOY WHO CRIED WOLF'
HOWARD JONES 'LIFE IN ONE DAY'
DEAD OR ALIVE 'IN TOO DEEP'
HUMDRUM (EXCERPTS):
MARC HUNTER 'EMPTY BEACH'
INXS 'WHAT YOU NEED'
EUROGLIDERS 'CITY OF SOUL'
NEW ORDER 'PERFECT KISS'
PRINCE 'RASPBERRY BERET'
TOP TEN:
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'LIVE IT UP'
DIRE STRAITS 'MONEY FOR NOTHING'
HOOTERS 'ALL YOU ZOMBIES'
MADONNA 'ANGEL/INTO THE GROOVE'
BILLY JOEL 'YOU'RE ONLY HUMAN'
MADONNA 'CRAZY FOR YOU'
THE DREAM ACADEMY 'LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN'
EURYTHMICS 'THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL'
MODELS 'OUT OF MIND, OUT OF SIGHT'
TINA TURNER 'WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HERO'

Date:12/07/1981
Show no:292
Summary:THIS WEEK'S SHOW IS AN INSERT SHOW WITH MOLLY AS HOST. ALL THE LINKS WERE RECORDED AT MT. BULLER SKI RESORT IN VICTORIA.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'THINGS DON'T SEEM'
THE DUGITES 'WAITING'
RENEE GEYER 'SAY I LOVE YOU':
OVERSEAS ARTISTS 'LANDSCAPE 'EINSTEIN A GO GO'
GET WET 'JUST SO LONELY
BUREAU 'ONLY FOR SHEEP'
GEORGE HARRISON 'ALL THOSE YEARS AGO'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'STAND & DELIVER'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ROXY MUSIC 'JEALOUS GUY'
JIMMY & THE BOYS 'THEY WON'T LET MY GIRLFRIEND TALK TO ME'
GEORGE HARRISON 'ALL THOSE YEARS AGO'
LOVER BOY 'TURN ME LOOSE'
THE NOLANS 'GOTTA PULL MYSELF TOGETHER'
BILLY FIELD 'BAD HABITS'
KIM WILDE 'KIDS IN AMERICA'
SHAKIN' STEVENS 'THIS OLE HOUSE'
KIM CARNES 'BETTE DAVIS EYES'
STARS ON 45 'STARS ON 45'
LOCAL CHARTBUSTERS:
MEN AT WORK 'WHO CAN IT BE NOW'
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
THE POINTER SISTERS 'SLOW HAND'
TASTE OF HONEY 'SUKIYAKI'
SMOKEY ROBINSON 'BEING WITH YOU'
DEVO 'FREEDOM OF CHOICE','GIRL YOU WANT','WHIP IT'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM ITEMS:
XTC 'RESPECTABLE STREET'
BLUE ANGEL 'I HAD A LOVE'
HITMEN (LOCAL) 'I DON'T MIND'
LONDON HITMEN 'BATES MOTEL'
JAM 'START'

Date:1/12/1985
Show no:490
Summary:THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY MIDGE URE AND THERE WAS NO STUDIO AUDIENCE. MOLLY IV'S BRIAN CANHAM IN CANBERRA,OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT HOUSE, RE 'PRIORITY ONE' YOUTH PROJECT. MOLLY ALSO IV'S PRIME MINISTER BOB HAWKE RE PRIORITY ONE PROJECT AND ANNOUNCES AUSTRALIA WILL BE DONATING TWO HERCULES AIRCRAFT TO LIVE AID TO HELP TRANSPORT FOOD TO AFRICA. HAWKE ALSO HELPS MOLLY ANNOUNCE AUSTRALIAN TOP 5 AND MOLLY PRESENTS HUMDRUM OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT HOUSE, CANBERRA. THIS WEEK NEW SEGMENT ARTIST PROFILE INTRODUCED FEATURING DAVID KNOPFLER INC IV RE BREAKING AWAY FROM DIRE STRAITS HUMDRUM EXCERPTS:PRIORITY ONE VIDEO.
GRACE JONES 'SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM'
JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP 'SMALL TOWN'
VIDEO CLIPS:
MACHINATIONS 'EXECUTION OF LOVE'
INXS 'THIS TIME' (VERSION FROM ROCKING ROYALS CONCERT)
REAL LIFE 'ONE BLIND LOVE'
INCREDIBLE PENGUINS 'HAPPY XMAS' (WAR IS OVER)
FALCO 'ROCK ME AMADEUS'
STARSHIP 'WE BUILT THIS CITY'
MIDGE URE 'IF I WAS'
A-HA 'THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES ON TV'
NATIONAL TOP 10:KOOL & THE GANG 'CHERISH'
JIMMY BARNES 'WORKING CLASS MAN'
THE HOOTERS 'AND WE DANCED'
TIME BANDITS 'ENDLESS ROAD'
ELTON JOHN 'NIKITA'
UB40/CHRISSIE HYNDE 'I GOT YOU BABE'
PSEUDO ECHO 'DON'T GO'
A-HA 'TAKE ON ME'
JENNIFER RUSH 'POWER OF LOVE'
DIRE STRAITS 'BROTHERS IN ARMS'

Very pleased to see the Electric Pandas "Missing Me" music clip as have been waiting for that one. On the "Waiting" Dugites clip lets hope it is the official music video and not the studio performance as we have already had that one played from memory. Also look forward to the tributes on Sherbet on "GTK" as well as the Cold Chisel concert. Not sure I have seen either of those as yet. The Dec 1985 "Countdown" looks more geared to Live Aid which we have seen played a number of times so not too fussed on that one. Generally though looks like a good night of "Rage Goes Retro".

Jason "The Moderator"
OMG, the 12-Jul-1981 AND 1/9/1985a re my my requests.

Hi Jason

I think Rage really do look at our requests. I only requested 1/9/85 on Monday, here is what I wrote, and it was also recommended. I am sorry I didn't see your request for the same dates otherwise I would have recommended yours

Hi Mr/Ms Moderator and all Rage staff

I would just like to say a big "THANKYOU" for giving me the oppurtunity to be able to watch any kind of Countdown episodes, whether it be 70's or 80's.

Growing up I was unable to watch any of the episodes as the reception in my country town was very poor. So a huge thankyou for anything you play.

On another note I was wondering if it would be possible to be able to show a couple of countdowns during the next few weeks.

They are the dates 1/9/1985 and 2/6/1985.

The first one for 1/9/85 has a video for the Electric Pandas called Missing Me. As I only had radio back in 1985 this song was among my very favourites along with Love Parade by Dream Academy.

So if you are able to play this one it would be fantastic.

Thankyou for reading

I did change it a little bit as it wasn't just the reception in my town but also my parents were very strict when it came to music, and I wasn't allowed to watch Countdown. But the Electric Pandas Missing Me was my favourite song on the radio at the time.

So Rage does listen.

Gee, they're showing a CD from Sept 1985 and again it's not the one featuring Molly hosting from a country rodeo, the episode I was requesting since 1993 (I gave up last year). They just don't want to show it for some reason. Perhaps it is because rodeos are now too politically incorrect for the leftist types who run the ABC. Oh well, at least we can be thankful they're not wasting this weekend with the infamous Big Day Out special, something we finally managed to get rid of after many years of campaigning.

Lee
Jason "The Moderator"
OMG, the 12-Jul-1981 AND 1/9/1985a re my my requests.

Hi Jason

I think Rage really do look at our requests. I only requested 1/9/85 on Monday.

I requested 1/09/1985 in November so lucky that had time to get it out. It's good you also requested it on Monday as they may have had it out from my list and with another asking just this week it helps...

This Saturdays line up looks very promising with those Countdowns listed... what a relief!!

Yes it looks great this Saturday - even if it doesn't fully make up for the last 3 wasted Retro weeks.

Seems Rage have a 1980/85 fixation so hopefully the Spandau Ballet ep will be shown next week.

I'm glad they're all unaired eps too - and I'm pleased the 81 ep is from July...I've always thought from mid to late 81 onwards was when Countdown really fired up for the 80's.

I still think it's very poor of Rage not to show last week's dropped December 1981 ep though - especially given it was an all Australian show which would have been very appropriate in the run up to Australia Day -bit of strange logic on their part.

It seems 82/83/86/87 has been ignored this year which is a shame - poor old 1987 hasn't been shown for years. I'd love the 16 April 87 one to be shown sometime.

Yes it seems Rage are taking note of some people's requests although not MINE!!! I may have to change my game plan next year methinks.

Now excuse me while I change my mobile ringtone to 'What About Me?' (cue violins) I know, poor diddams hey? It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, etc, etc!

Rage, if you're reading this, I'm another besides Patrick who would love some '87 episodes... or some Countdown Revolution/The Factory!

1987 Countdown's don't really do it for me. 1 or 2 would be ok but not much more.

I can't complain as I am getting 2 requests this weekend :-) Been hanging for these 2 Episodes :-)

I am glad rage have dropped last weekends 1981 for the one I want :-)

But really, they could have also played the missing 1981 so we have 4 ep's.

1985 Countdown's are HEAVEN! They kick A S S on 1987 Pirate TV crap!

Extremely happy with these Countdown selections. I had been asking for Sept 1 1985 for years for the Uncanny X-Men and Electric Pandas clips and Stu used to ask for Dec 1 for the really rare Real Life performance and since he hasn't crossed over to the new Message Board I have continued to request it on his behalf as I also want to see that.

These are 2 of the 4 episodes from 1985 that I have really wanted to see, the others being Time Bandits and Spandau Ballet.

We also get the 1981 episode that CJ has wanted.

I don't care what else they play for the night this is a great line up.

GTK ran until 1975 so I hope it is one of the later colour episodes, but even then Harvey wouldn't be in it.

For Cold Chisel I know they have the following concert in their archives

ID: 272068 - COLD CHISEL LIVE;NIGHTMOVES CONCERT
recording date: 07-Jun-1980
duration: 36.25

personalities: COLD CHISEL, ROCK GROUP;JIMMY BARNES, SINGER;IAN MOSS, GUITARIST;DON WALKER, KEYBOARDS;STEVE PRESTWICH, DRUMMER

shotlist: COLD CHISEL LIVE RECORDED PERFORMING AT THE MANLY VALE HOTEL FOR ABC PROGRAM NIGHT MOVES. PUT TOGETHER BY ENTERPRISE COLOUR VIDEO PRODUCTIONS AND WEA RECORDS;00.00 ID RECORDED LIVE AT THE MANLY VALE HOTEL JUNE 7TH 1980 FOR WEA RECORDS;00.08 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'CHEAP WINE';03.56 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'THE RISING SUN JUST STOLE MY GIRL AWAY';07.16 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'GOODBYE ASTRID GOODBYE'?;11.06 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'SHIPPING STEAL';15.08 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'CHOIR GIRL';18.09 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'STAR HOTEL'?;22.15 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'SET FIRE TO THE TOWN'?;26.08 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR';32.30 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'GOODBYE ASTRIDE GOODBYE'?, BARNES IN THE AUDIENCE PASSES A BOTTLE, SPRAYS THE AUDIENCE AND HIMSELF WITH A BUCKET OF WATER DURING THE ENCORE

YAY!

We both requested Sept 1 1985 and got it :-)

PEOPLE POWER!

I sooo hope "Waiting" by Dugites is the actual video!

I have been WAITING myself for this video for
b l o o d y ages!

It's a GREAT line up for Countdown, the rest is crap. But I am VERY happy indeed!

Hey... Wasn't the Cold Chisel concert payed in 2008???

I love how someone has to die before Rage acknowledges them! ARGH!

I've noticed one of the Countdown episodes states Madonna doing Dress You Up at Live Aid. She actually never did that song there. I guess it will be the clip OR if I'm really lucky it will be the episode where they show 2 short clips from the Virgin Tour with Molly in the audience where she pokes her tongue out at him!

Jason "The Moderator"
YAY!

We both requested Sept 1 1985 and got it :-)

PEOPLE POWER!

I sooo hope "Waiting" by Dugites is the actual video!

I have been WAITING myself for this video for
b l o o d y ages!

It's a GREAT line up for Countdown, the rest is crap. But I am VERY happy indeed!

Hey... Wasn't the Cold Chisel concert payed in 2008???

The 2008 Retro had a 1982 Cold Chisel concert, this one should be from 1980.

I had suggested 1/9/85 for 4 years but no one else supported it then and I didn't bother this year. I was happy to see that you suggested it, as well as Brett. I think I saw someone else had too so it might be 4 votes all up although as I hadn't mentioned it for over a year I don't think my vote had anything to do with it. It is a great episode and I am really happy to see it again after 25 years.

After recording Rage for the last 3 weeks I expect that I will stay up and watch it live this week. Looking forward to seeing the full playlist tomorrow.

I do hope Patrick gets something as well. I have been after the 1982 Eurogliders one for years that Patrick has also listed and as it has The Sherbs on it as well it might have been good for this week (I had even devised a Eurogliders theme for a couple of years but to no avail, they eventually just gave me the 1985 hosting episode and 4 individual clips). I had also suggested the following 2 that Patrick also had on his list
26/9/82 - Billy Field
19/6/83 - Bonnie Tyler

Brett had also voted for the Eurogliders and Billy Field episodes so those 2 episodes got 3 votes each by early November but have been overlooked. We'll have to give it another shot next year. Also that Rock Arena - Rock 'n' Roll Girls featuring Sharon O'Neill.

Considering that myself, Patrick and Brett had put in those suggestions in around October I would have thought at least one might get through.

You've done very well CJ. When we were putting in suggestions you were still saying than can play Recovery on Retro as you won't be watching due to the watermark. Then when you put in a late suggestion you get 3 episodes played....what's the secret? I'm sure Patrick would like to know.

John Moulis
Gee, they're showing a CD from Sept 1985 and again it's not the one featuring Molly hosting from a country rodeo, the episode I was requesting since 1993 (I gave up last year). They just don't want to show it for some reason. Perhaps it is because rodeos are now too politically incorrect for the leftist types who run the ABC. Oh well, at least we can be thankful they're not wasting this weekend with the infamous Big Day Out special, something we finally managed to get rid of after many years of campaigning.

Wow, that is a long time requesting one episode. Retro only started in 1993, did you request it when you saw they played a Countdown? How did you request back then, did you write in? It would probably have been appropriate this year with the floods at Rockhampton and Molly appearing there at the rodeo. I can't recall having seen it requested but then again my memory is like Swiss cheese - there are too many holes in it, particularly for someone who doesn't have the excuse of having drinking as a vice. What is your Rage Message Board user name? I'll back it for next year. Were you in that episode or was it just generally a favourite? All the clips on it are quite common apart from Julian Lennon but I can sit through anything from 1985 which was the last of the great years (1982-85) for me personally? There are other episodes from 1985 which also have common clips but I would like to see including those hosted by Koo De Tah, Kids In The Kitchen, Lyn Buckfield etc

I didn't start with suggestions until about 2000 but I can't remember exactly, all I know is that I had little success back then.

My biggest success came with the 1983 Christmas Countdown. After several years of no luck getting it played I suggested a Christmas theme with the 1982, 1983, 1985 and 1986 Christmas episodes (the 4 unplayed ones at the time) and they played the lot on the first night in 2009. I felt like a virtual guest programmer that night although I wouldn't have repeated the 1978 Countdown that they also showed.

I'd love to know for sure!

Seriously I'm happy that Jason, Guru and others have had some of their requests played. It's always great to see unaired eps shown no matter who's suggested them.

I still stand by my comments about the previous 3 weeks - they've been poor to say the least - but it's great to see some good episodes being played this Saturday.

I'm always happy to back up others who want certain eps in the Rage forum and I've been grateful to those who have done likewise for me - much appreciated.

Hopefully at least one of my requested eps will air in the final week - I would have thought I'd seen at least one given how often I've requested them - we'll see.

It would still be good to see some variety of eps too - again an 82/83 ep wouldn't hurt at all.

Fingers crossed I'll be a happy person when I see the list for Retro 5....

Patrick
I'd love to know for sure!

Seriously I'm happy that Jason, Guru and others have had some of their requests played. It's always great to see unaired eps shown no matter who's suggested them.

I still stand by my comments about the previous 3 weeks - they've been poor to say the least - but it's great to see some good episodes being played this Saturday.

I'm always happy to back up others who want certain eps in the Rage forum and I've been grateful to those who have done likewise for me - much appreciated.

Hopefully at least one of my requested eps will air in the final week - I would have thought I'd seen at least one given how often I've requested them - we'll see.

It would still be good to see some variety of eps too - again an 82/83 ep wouldn't hurt at all.

Fingers crossed I'll be a happy person when I see the list for Retro 5....

The only times I have ever had success at suggesting anything, I usually had to have a good reason why it should be played. Like in Retro 2008 when Rage were celebrating 20 years and I suggested a Rock Arena from exactly 20 years earlier on Australia Day and they went with it.

We will have to plan it for next year with the Eurogliders and Billy Field episodes as they have some great performances on them, just have to find a reason that will impress the Rage programmers.

Can't really say what my secret is!

It's rather interesting as I got about 5 Episodes played from my list last year and now 4 from this year. Also got about 23 video's from my list from Wild Card.

So I kind of feel like I have had the privilege of programming rage a few times now and I am DELIGHTED!

Maybe my secret is that I constantly bombard the message board and always have till they take notice of me and listen to suggestions. Even before the internet in the 90s I used to ring the ABC and get them to put me through to rage and I would call them up during November asking if they were playing Countdowns and I would bug them with suggestions!

It has been literally decades of non stop contact literally!

Also the fact that I paste my Countdown lists over and over and over. I remember in late 2009 for 2010 retro January the Moderator said that I didn't have to keep pasting my suggestions as they got them. I knew this BUT to get it through to them one must bother them constantly for results!

Another factor that may work in my favor is that I have a countdown website which may add to my seriousness of it all. Actually, it looks like they go to the dates in the Countdown Archives on my site with all the copying and pasting with info on the show. It's quite funny!

I don't know why rage are NOT mentioning the FANTABULOUS "Screams Of Passion" from The Family on the 1 Sept 1985 list. I have been DYING to get this video in decent quality, FINALLY it is coming. Price GENIUS production +

rage also don't list any info for the December Midge Ure 1985 episode. Real Life HERE WE COME :-)

Good suggestions there - I'll have to try harder next time it seems! I may start my requesting for next year a little earlier and keep on at them.

I think my bruised ego has settled a little now - although I'm still hopeful of a Retro 5 miracle - surely at least one of my requests will come through -it can't be said I haven't made enough noise this time either about what I'd like.

Never mind.....the 81 and 85 eps look fantastic so I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them. Well done to those who requested them and got them aired - may we continue to band together to ask for classic unaired eps of such a brilliant show!

Jason "The Moderator"

I think they have a love/fear relationship with you, to be honest! They admire your enthusiasm, dedication, and interest... but at the same time I think they are secretly scared of copping an earful from you on the forum if they do something wrong/not to your liking

Your persistence probably helps too... and your 'following' (people who agree with you) on the forum.

It's a pity you can't have some influence on Rage getting rid of the wretched watermark

I've had *some* success with Rage requests for particular clips in the past, and of course winning the 6 degrees comp... but I don't really request specific Countdowns (only the odd statement of wishing to see some later Countdowns and some Countdown Revolution), because I was too "young"/wasn't a die-hard dedicated Countdown viewer at the time (it finished really just before I started getting into music in a big way, though I definitely remember seeing some episodes in '84 and a few after that).

ohnoitisnathan
Jason "The Moderator"

I think they have a love/fear relationship with you, to be honest! They admire your enthusiasm, dedication, and interest... but at the same time I think they are secretly scared of copping an earful from you on the forum if they do something wrong/not to your liking

Hilarious, they may be a little intimidated by me, HE HE

Jason "The Moderator"
1987 Countdown's don't really do it for me. 1 or 2 would be ok but not much more.

Just 1 or 2 1987 eps would probably make Pat, I and a number of others happy as well Jason... but they aren't materialising!!!

I have again suggested the Aug 1 1982 Eurogliders, maybe if they get sick of me annoying them they will play it.

Guru Bob
I have again suggested the Aug 1 1982 Eurogliders, maybe if they get sick of me annoying them they will play it.

I have added the same request as well for the same show again in the Rage Guestbook - for Patricks sake especially I hope they play it in Week 5. As Sherbs appeared in this show our odds have improved somewhat I do believe!! There have been no 1982 shows so far either this Summer. I have mentioned all 3 Countdowns that Sherbs appeared in including 1980 and a 2nd 1982 show - none have ever been shown on Rage and all would be very welcome in the last week of this current Retro season!! If they show only one, then let us hope it is the Eurogliders one from 1982!!

I strongly believe we are on the right track here as the showing of these shows would nicely complement the Harvey James tribute for next week.

I have just also supported the August 1st, 1982 as well. I hope Patrick gets it! :-)

I welcome ANY un played 12982 Episodes as it's my FAVOURITE Countdown year. Would be nice to get a 1982 this month on retro 5 and the fact it has The Sberbs in it helps it to be considered. Not that I want it for The Sherbs BUT hey!

Thanks, Jason, Guru, Brett and everyone else - your support really means a lot.

As soon as your thread appears on the Rage forum I'll add my voice to it - once again!

It'll be nice to see at least one 82/83 ep in Retro 5 - I'm hopefully optimistic.

It seems if you ask often - and kindly - enough eventually it will get through....

Brett (2)
Guru Bob

I have added the same request as well for the same show again in the Rage Guestbook - for Patricks sake especially I hope they play it in Week 5. As Sherbs appeared in this show our odds have improved somewhat I do believe!! There have been no 1982 shows so far either this Summer. I have mentioned all 3 Countdowns that Sherbs appeared in including 1980 and a 2nd 1982 show - none have ever been shown on Rage and all would be very welcome in the last week of this current Retro season!! If they show only one, then let us hope it is the Eurogliders one from 1982!!

I strongly believe we are on the right track here as the showing of these shows would nicely complement the Harvey James tribute for next week.

Brett, I also saw that October 29 1982 episode featuring The Sherbs - Shapin' Up but decided against nominating it as Harvey left The Sherbs late in 1982 to join Swanee's band and he may not be on this. I don't know the exact time that he left though.

Guru Bob
Extremely happy with these Countdown selections. I had been asking for Sept 1 1985 for years for the Uncanny X-Men and Electric Pandas clips and Stu used to ask for Dec 1 for the really rare Real Life performance and since he hasn't crossed over to the new Message Board I have continued to request it on his behalf as I also want to see that.

These are 2 of the 4 episodes from 1985 that I have really wanted to see, the others being Time Bandits and Spandau Ballet.

We also get the 1981 episode that CJ has wanted.

I don't care what else they play for the night this is a great line up.

GTK ran until 1975 so I hope it is one of the later colour episodes, but even then Harvey wouldn't be in it.

For Cold Chisel I know they have the following concert in their archives

ID: 272068 - COLD CHISEL LIVE;NIGHTMOVES CONCERT
recording date: 07-Jun-1980
duration: 36.25

personalities: COLD CHISEL, ROCK GROUP;JIMMY BARNES, SINGER;IAN MOSS, GUITARIST;DON WALKER, KEYBOARDS;STEVE PRESTWICH, DRUMMER

shotlist: COLD CHISEL LIVE RECORDED PERFORMING AT THE MANLY VALE HOTEL FOR ABC PROGRAM NIGHT MOVES. PUT TOGETHER BY ENTERPRISE COLOUR VIDEO PRODUCTIONS AND WEA RECORDS;00.00 ID RECORDED LIVE AT THE MANLY VALE HOTEL JUNE 7TH 1980 FOR WEA RECORDS;00.08 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'CHEAP WINE';03.56 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'THE RISING SUN JUST STOLE MY GIRL AWAY';07.16 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'GOODBYE ASTRID GOODBYE'?;11.06 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'SHIPPING STEAL';15.08 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'CHOIR GIRL';18.09 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'STAR HOTEL'?;22.15 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'SET FIRE TO THE TOWN'?;26.08 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR';32.30 VS COLD CHISEL PERFORM 'GOODBYE ASTRIDE GOODBYE'?, BARNES IN THE AUDIENCE PASSES A BOTTLE, SPRAYS THE AUDIENCE AND HIMSELF WITH A BUCKET OF WATER DURING THE ENCORE

Guru, you are a deadset legend mate, and to think i even forgot to even look at the Rage site yesterday to see which CD episodes were going to be aired.

The hard "request" work has finally paid off!

Patrick
Good suggestions there - I'll have to try harder next time it seems! I may start my requesting for next year a little earlier and keep on at them.

I think my bruised ego has settled a little now - although I'm still hopeful of a Retro 5 miracle - surely at least one of my requests will come through -it can't be said I haven't made enough noise this time either about what I'd like.

Never mind.....the 81 and 85 eps look fantastic so I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them. Well done to those who requested them and got them aired - may we continue to band together to ask for classic unaired eps of such a brilliant show!

Patrick
The one difference I noticed with your suggestions as compared to the ones that Jason, Brett and I did was that you had just listed dates and the host.

Jason puts in the whole playlist and I had put down reasons next to each ep including the highlights, except the Eurogliders and Billy Field ones this year where I only named them just like you.

Maybe the Rage crew can't be bothered to find what is on an episode and will choose a suggested one based on either a good reason or if they can see the playlist and agree it is a worthy episode. They don't seem to care how many people nominate an episode if they don't know what is on it as they may not have time to research each one.

You certainly mentioned it often enough and as Brett and myself backed it then it couldn't have been for lack of mention.

I have gotten 5 Countdowns (counting the 3 this week - 20/12/81, 1/9/85 and 1/12/85) and a Rock Arena on so far this year and for each one of them I had put down a reason which I would think might be agreeable to the Rage programmers. Maybe that is the secret. As we have all again mentioned 1/8/82 Eurogliders with reasons this time, including The Sherbs, and even have the mighty CJ backing it as our secret weapon, hopefully that may see it through.

I had suggested 23/8/80 standby program to avoid repeats as it had 70's clips and hadn't been aired as an episode unlike all the 70's episodes - I got it played but then they still showed 3 repeats so I won't do that again. The 3/3/85 episode I nominated as a virtual Wildcard episode as it had many clips on it that don't get played often. A few weeks after I nominated it they had a movie soundtrack special and played Maria Vidal - Body Rock so I am thinking they checked out the clips on that Countdown ep and liked Body Rock. They then put Body Rock on the movie theme special and decided to play the episode as well.

If Rage don't like the reason it still won't get played. I had suggested 1/9/85 for years as I wanted the Uncanny X-Men, Geisha and Electric Pandas clips. As I was the only one mentioning it maybe Rage didn't think enough of my reason. Once Jason and Brett also mentioned it they may have reviewed their thoughts although I don't know how long they keep records of requests as I didn't mention it this year.

Jase from SA has mentioned the C*inkapook Countdown Revolution episode for years but Rage don't seem interested in that. Kyron, Nathan and a few others have requested 1986/87 Countdowns but have not named specific episodes so that may be the reason they have been ignored.

There are a few episodes that I have mentioned for years that haven't been played so I guess it is still ultimately up to the programmers as to whether they like the reason. For the 1983 Christmas Countdown I had to change the approach and suggested a Christmas theme instead and that finally got it over the line.

For next year we should all get together and select the episodes that would be most interesting to us as a whole and then nominate those with reasons, playlists and mutual support.

Yes we'll probably have to do that - if we keep on mentioning the same eps surely one day the message will get through?

I'm still hopeful at least one of my requests will finally see the light of day in Retro 5 - I'll put up my list once again in a last ditch effort.

Those suggestions sound good too - obviously I'll need to re-think my tactics for next time...I'm still pretty disappointed no 82/83 eps have been shown so far - seems a glaring oversight to me, but no matter.

I won't whinge too much now anyway, there's Retro 4 tonight to look forward to so that's certainly a cause for celebration - am excited about it and very happy everyone else's requests have gotten through this time...as long as I get my turn next year!!

Guru Bob
Kyron, Nathan and a few others have requested 1986/87 Countdowns but have not named specific episodes so that may be the reason they have been ignored.

I agree Bob, although if the RAGE team are after balance I think it would be fair that one would be played anyway.

In terms of possible candidates there are several that appear promising. In terms of selections based on hosts what about Dave Stewart (543), Cockroaches (545), Chantoozies (546) and Dave Dobbyn (560). I think we could give Warwick Capper a miss.

In terms of selecting episodes based on stand out performances there are a couple. What about the Hoodoo Gurus performing 'Whats My Scene' live in 551. Or even Redgum performing 'Roll it on Robbie' in 552. I actually thought that was a song about sunscreen until I was informed otherwise by my classmates.

Yes, we might have more pull if we all pulled in the right direction... if you know what I mean. I agree fully.

Brett (2)
Looks like 3 UNREPEATED Countdowns which is very good news - they are - Episode 477 from 01/09/85, Episode 490 from 01/12/85 and Episode 292 from 12/07/81

It actually looks like none of this weeks countdown repeats have been repeated on RAGE.

The real episode 299 was repeated recently on the 31 January 2009. The first two 81/82 summer specials appear to be erroneoulsy numbered 299 and 300 (although both numbers were already used and the last regular episode for 1981 was 314). The other specials broadcast in early 1982 are numbered 3-8. I personally think numbering them all 314/1-8 would be more accurate.

I could be wrong (and please let me know if I am) but I think none of these countdowns repeated this week have been shown on RAGE. It appears only specials 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, have been repeated on the program. This will leave the Australian Made Special for Export (4) the only one not repeated after this Saturday?

Sorry, I'm getting anal again!

The only 1987 episode I'm interested in is the 16/4/87 ep with Molly hosting from the Underground Disco.

Sounds like an interesting episode with him chatting with some of the people on the dance-floor - would be good to see from a social historical perspective.

I know 1987 eps don't have many fans, but I think at least one should be shown sometime. I don't think any from that year have been shown for about 4 or 5 years now on Rage.

Kyron
Brett (2)

It actually looks like none of this weeks countdown repeats have been repeated on RAGE.

The real episode 299 was repeated recently on the 31 January 2009. The first two 81/82 summer specials appear to be erroneoulsy numbered 299 and 300 (although both numbers were already used and the last regular episode for 1981 was 314). The other specials broadcast in early 1982 are numbered 3-8. I personally think numbering them all 314/1-8 would be more accurate.

I could be wrong (and please let me know if I am) but I think none of these countdowns repeated this week have been shown on RAGE. It appears only specials 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, have been repeated on the program. This will leave the Australian Made Special for Export (4) the only one not repeated after this Saturday?

Sorry, I'm getting anal again!

Kyron
The 1981/82 Summer Specials were not actually numbered at all, other than Summer Special No.1, No.2 etc.
They were shown as follows:
December 20 1981 Molly (Summer Special #1 – Australian Made)
December 27 1981 Molly (Summer Special #2 - Clips of 81)
January 3 1982 Molly (Summer Special #3 - New Zealand Invasion)
January 10 1982 Molly (Summer Special #4 - Export bands)
January 17 1982 Molly (Summer Special #5 – The Tourists, touring bands)
January 24 1982 Molly (Summer Special #6 – Whatever Happened To)
January 31 1982 Molly (Summer Special #7 – Video Rock)
February 7 1982 Molly (Summer Special #8 – Studio 31 Best Live clips)

After tonight Rage will have shown all except for No3 and No4. I have a timecoded copy of No.4 which I can do a copy for you as I still owe you something from memory.

Bob,

They aren't numbered on screen but they are numbered in the archives.

The last propoerly numbered episode for 1981 appears to have been the James Reyne hosted 314:

Year: 1981
Date: 13/12/1981
Show no: 314

The first 2 summer specials are numbered erroneously as 299 and 300:

Date: 20/12/1981
Show no: 299

Date: 27/12/1981
Show no: 300

That was done although those numbers had clearly already been used:

Date: 30/08/1981
Show no: 299

Date: 06/09/1981
Show no: 300

Specials 3-8 were given individual numbers as well:

Year: 1982
Date: 03/01/1982
Show no: 3

Date: 10/01/1982
Show no: 4

Date: 17/01/1982
Show no: 5

Date: 24/01/1982
Show no: 6

Date: 31/01/1982
Show no: 7

The eighth Studio 31 special isn't listed at all online (an ommission?) but it was apparently screened on 03 February 1982 and repeated on RAGE last retro season.

Then the numbering appears to start again from 314:

Date: 14/02/1982
Show no: 315

The Top 100 1976 eps played across Summer 76/77 are similar in this nature. There are some other errors throughout 1982 with some eps given teh numbers 10, 19, 20 etc. Perhaps their broadcast conincided with some cataloguing?

The case appears to be that sometimes 'special' sets of episodes were not considered part of the normal sequence of episodes and were given numbers from 1 (?)

Yes, 3 and 4 haven't been repeated but I have an off air copy of the 4th special (although about 10 minutes was cut out when it was recorded on a home recorder). The quality is 'ok'. We might do a trade at some point as I have read about NZ Invasion episode and thought it sounded great.

Perhaps within a few years both of those remaining specials will be shown? Here's hoping.

Oh I see you mention the odd numbering. Yes, my point is that its untidy. There are a number of episodes with the same numbers or officially numbered out of sequence. It's a shame that it wasn't tidied up at some point.

That's why I was suggesting 91/4, 91/5, 91/6 or 314/1, 314/2 etc. Or even in some cases 495A and 495B for some other strange labelling errors.

I realise that 99.9% of people don't give a toss about such things... unless you suddenly want to find something in a hurry and you can't or can't be sure what a unit is without viewing it.

Kyron
For some reason the ABC only numbered the standard programs, as you observe the Summer Specials are not included and neither are the Countdown Awards - I can only assume they know why they do that.

The numbering of 10,19 and 20 in 1982 was for the Countdown Friday episodes. This was a separate show and had it's own numbering. It was hosted by John Peters as was Countdown Flipside the following year. They carried the Countdown brand but were different shows although they used live Countdown clips as well.

You are probably right that they should number them as you suggest.

Bob,

There are numerous clear errors in their archiving. The whole point of decent archiving I would think is to facilitate the location and navigation of a source and place its position in the wider run for continuity purposes.

Okay so some of those episodes mentioned in my previous post belong to a sister show, the summer specials don't and their numbering is repetitive and gives no real sense of their position in the sequence of the episodes.

Here are some examples:

Show 37 is listed as 329.

Show 138 is listed as 209.

Show 186 is listed as 155.

There are two episodes listed as 253.

The show listed as 241 is actually 277 (although there is already another episode with that number and it should arguably 277A).

There are two shows 299 and 300 as mentioned. The second two are the first two 81/82 summer specials.

Show 324 is listed as 539.

There are two shows marked 359.

There are two episodes labelled as 495.

The awards are another can of worms but are labelled variously.

These are just the ones I can see listed in my inventory I'm sure there are others.

I don't think there's a logical reason for any of these errors. I don't think there's a biblical rule that once an archival number is given it must remain that way forever.

Brett (2)
Looks like 3 UNREPEATED Countdowns which is very good news - they are - Episode 477 from 01/09/85 (edit)

Countdown 01-Sep-1985

POINTER SISTERS 'DARE ME' FILM CLIP
UNCANNY X-MEN 'STILL WAITING' FILM CLIP
HOOTERS 'ALL YOU ZOMBIES' FILM CLIP
GEISHA INTRO SONG
GEISHA 'RAINY DAY' FILM CLIP

CHART BUSTERS INC FF#4 EXCERPT 'ANGEL' BY SPANIARDS, EXCERPT 'BOY WHO CRIED WOLF' BY STYLE COUNCIL, EXCERPT 'LIFE IN ONE DAY' BY HOWARD JONES, EXCERPT 'IN TOO DEEP' BY DEAD OR ALIVE

BRYAN ADAMS 'SUMMER OF '69' FILM CLIP
ELECTRIC PANDAS 'MISSING ME' FILM CLIP
PHIL OAKEY & GIORGIO MORODER 'GOODBYE BAD TIMES' FILM CLIP
CUMMINGS INTROS SONG
CUMMINGS 'WHAT AM I GOING TO DO' FILM CLIP
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'POWER OF LOVE' FILM CLIP
MADONNA PERFORMS 'DRESS YOU UP' FROM LIVE AID

NATIONAL TOP 10
'LIVE IT UP' BY MENTAL AS ANYTHING
EXCERPT 'MONEY FOR NOTHING' BY DIRE STRAITS
EXCERPT 'ALL YOU ZOMBIES' BY HOOTERS
EXCERPT FROM 'ANGEL/INTO THE GROOVE
EXCERPT FROM 'YOU'RE ONLY HUMAN' BY BILLY JOEL
EXCERPT 'CRAZY FOR YOU' BY MADONNA
EXCERPT 'LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN' BY THE DREAM ACADEMY, EXCERPT 'THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL' BY EURYTHMICS,
EXCERPT FROM 'OUT OF MIND, OUT OF SIGHT' BY MODELS AND EXCERPT WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HERO' BY TINA TURNER
DAVID BOWIE/MICK JAGGER 'DANCING IN THE STREET' FILM CLIP

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone still have this episode?
I'm mostly only looking for the Geisha clip, but I'd be happy to have a copy of the whole episode too.