Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Rage Retro Week 3

Rage blurb for this week

WEEK THREE OF RETRO MONTH IS HUGE! Shows include:

Countdown from 1984 with clips by kiss, berlin & twisted sister and interviews with Boy George and Wham

An all Australian Countdown special from 1981 with live performances by the Divinyls, The Prefects, The Church, Icehouse & more.

Countdown from 1980 hosted by Daryl Braithwaite, with clips by the B’52’s, Madness and live performances by Daryl Braithwaite & The Reels.

A countdown End of the Decade special from 1979. This documentary style episode features interviews with stars of the era including david bowie, Olivia newton-john Bette Midler, Johnny rotten and many many more!

Rock Arena from 1986 featuring HUNTERS & COLLECTORS Live in the ROCK ARENA STUDIO and clips by STEPHEN CUMMINGS AND TIM FINN

Plus excerpts from recovery including live performances of They Might be Giants and Skunk Hour, an interview with Supergrass and a Marilyn Manson mini feature.

Re: Rage Retro Week 3

They have decided to repeat another Countdown, End Of The Decade, which was shown in 1994 and 1996.

On the plus there are 3 unrepeated Countdowns and a Rock Arena with Suzanne Dowling.

The unrepeated Countdowns are:
Feb 17 1980
Dec 20 1981
October 21 1984

Jason will probably upload the details of the Countdown episodes. Here is the info for Rock Arena:

July 22 1986
THIS WEEK'S SHOW INTRODUCED BY SUZANNE DOWLING FEATURES HUNTERS & COLLECTORS RECORDED IN THE ROCK ARENA STUDIO(22.01) AND VIDEOS FROM STEPHEN CUMMINGS AND TIM FINN ;ARTISTS:;STEPHEN CUMMINGS 'STUCK ON LOVE'(4.54);STEPHEN CUMMINGS 'SPEAK WITH FRANKNESS'(8.52);TIM FINN 'NO THUNDER NO FIRE NO RAIN'(12.30);TIM FINN 'SPIRITUAL HUNGER'(16.27);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'EVERYTHINGS ON FIRE'(22.01);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'IS THERE ANYBODY IN THERE?'(25.46);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'STUCK ON YOU'(29.44);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'RED LEATHER BELT'(33.00);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'BETTY'S WORRY OR THE SLAB'(37.37);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'DOG'(42.38);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'SAY GOODBYE'(46.02);HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'THIS MORNING'(51.04)

Cool. Sounds a **** site better than the last 2 weeks! :P

While it's great about the 3 unaired Countdowns and the Rock Arena, I'm concerned about the lack of 82/83 Countdowns being played. Fingers crossed they'll appear in the last 2 weeks of Retro.

So it seems that the KISS copyright embargo doesn't extend to the 1984 ep - or maybe it only went up to a certain year?

The End of Decade special has actually been shown 3 times - the other being in 1998. Although in 1998 this is listed under the 1980 repeat date and not 16/12/79 as in 94 & 96.

So once again - in this season alone - Rage have aired a Countdown for the 4th time!! And it's an ep that goes on for 90 minutes at that! I'm not particularly happy about that but what can one do?

Retro 3 looks ok but I hope Rage gets out of its 1980 rut soon - it's not a year I particularly embrace with much enthusiasm - I know others love it but I found that year very hit and miss - definately a 'take it or leave it' year to me.

ID: 214414 - COUNTDOWN 'END OF THE DECADE'

recording date: 15-Dec-1979
duration: 86.37
summary: MUSIC PROGRAM HOSTED BY MOLLY MELDRUM (WITHOUT HAT). THIS EPISODE IS A SUMMARY OF THE 1970'S. THE PROGRAME PROGRESSES THROUGH EACH YEAR OF THE DECADE BOTH MUSICALLY AND HISTORICALLY INCLUDING INTERVIEWS WITH SINGERS AND BANDS FROM THIS PERIOD FOCUSING ON WHO THEY BELIEVE WERE THE MAJOR INFLUENCES IN MUSIC DURING THIS TIME

shotlist: 0.00 OPENING TITLES;0.14 MS BOWIE, MELDRUM SPEAKS (OFF SCREEN) HOW WOULD YOU SUM UP THE MUSIC OF THE 1970'S?, BOWIE REPLIES RE SORT OF LIKE THIS;0.25 VS MCCARTNEY, TWO UNIDENTIFIED MEN SPEAK RE MUSIC OF THE 1970'S;1.00 GRAPHIC 'END OF THE DECADE' TITLES;0.14 VS MONTAGE B&W FTG VARIOUS MAJOR EVENTS OF THE 1970'S;1.55 MCU IV STINE RE BELIEVES THE BEATLES WERE THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON THE 1970'S;2.24 MCU IV ULVAEUS RE BELIEVES THE BEATLES WERE THE MOST IMPORTANT INFLUENCE ON ABBA, WRITING AND PERFORMING THEIR OWN MUSIC;2.44 MCU IV BAYER SAGER RE THE BEATLES WERE IMPORTANT BUT THE NEW GENERATION NOW DOES NOT KNOW THEIR MUSIC;2.55 MCU IV GIBB RE FASHION TRENDS THE BEATLES STARTED;3.20 MCU IV MCCARTNEY RE THE BEATLES WILL NOT GET BACK TOGETHER;3.38 LIB FF#1 EXCERPT 'LET IT BE' BY THE BEATLES;4.36 LIB FF#14 B&W EXCERPT 'STAY WITH ME' PERFORMED BY THE FACES (EX GTK EPISODE 519 & 484);5.01 VS IV STEWART RE FORMER BAND THE FACES, PREVIOUS ALBUMS, INFLUENCES FROM LIVING IN USA (BLOWS WHISTLE SUDDENLY), TOURING AND NEW ALBUM;8.27 CU NEWTON-JOHN ALBUM COVER;8.59 LIB FTG B&W IV NEWTON-JOHN RE HOPES SHE WILL NOT BE TIRED OF PERFORMING BY THE TIME SHE IS 30 YEARS OLD;9.24 VS IV NEWTON-JOHN RE CHANGES IN MUSIC THROUGH THE 1970'S, BECOMING BRAVER IN HER MUSICAL CHOICES, PERFORMING IN 'GREASE', INFLUENCE OF MUSIC BY BLACK PEOPLE TO 1970'S MUSIC, SINGERS BECOMING ACTORS, UPCOMING MOVIE 'XANADU';12.29 LIB FTG DADDY COOL PERFORMING 'EAGLE ROCK' AND GRAPHIC 1971 TOP TEN;13.15 BREAKER;13.19 VS B&W ALP 'IT'S TIME' TVC;13.50 MCU HA WAITS IV RE GLAD TO HAVE LIVED THROUGH THE 1970'S;14.09 MCU IV MEAT LOAF RE TURNED AWAY FROM MUSIC TO THEATRE DUE TO THE DEMISE OF ROCK AND ROLL IN THE 1970'S;14.27 MCU IV BAYER SAGER RE PEOPLE MORE SELFISH IN THE 1970'S;14.48 MCU IV VOLMAN RE DOES NOT LIKE THE MUSIC THAT CAME OUT OF THE 1970'S;15.07 MCU IV LEE JONES RE PEOPLE NOT INTERESTED IN FOLK MUSIC OR MUSIC WITH A SOCIAL MESSAGE ANYMORE;15.31 MCU IV MIDLER RE PEOPLE WHO HAD THE BEST VOICES IN THE 1970'S;15.42 MCU IV VOUDOURIS RE MUSIC OVER PRODUCED IN THE 1970'S;16.00 MS IV BUCKINGHAM RE LACK OF SOCIAL AWARENESS IN MUSIC NOW;16.16 MCU IV MIDLER RE CHANGES IN SINGING STYLES;16.23 MCU IV GABRIEL RE CHANGES IN MUSIC STYLES;16.43 IV ROTTEN RE RECORD SALES OF ARTISTS DEPEND ON WHO YOU KNOW;16.49 MCU IV MEAT LOAF RE VOLATILE NATURE OF ROCK AND ROLL;16.59 MCU IV CASSIDY RE THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE TO FULFIL THE DESIRES OF YOUNG PEOPLE;17.09 MCU IV SAYER RE YOU HAVE TO DEDICATE YOUR LIFE TO MUSIC TO REALLY ACHIEVE SOMETHING;17.28 MCU IV UNIDENTIFIED MAN RE INCREASING BAND OF SOPHISTICATION;17.37 MCU IV QUATRO RE DOES NOT BELIEVE IN DISCUSSING MUSIC IN TERMS OF DECADES, IT SIMPLY DEPENDS ON IF SHE LIKES THE MUSIC OR NOW;17.50 MCU IV MEMBERS OF THE KNACK RE BELIEVE THE 1970'S WAS A TIME TO SIMPLY GET OVER THE 1960'S;17.57 MCU IV RICHARD RE HE IS BOUND TO BE AN INFLUENCE ON THE 1970'S BECAUSE HE WAS PART OF THE 1960'S;18.14 MCU IV HARLEY RE NOT THAT HARD TO BECOME A ROCK AND ROLL STAR;18.28 MCU IV UNIDENTIFIED MAN RE FELT SIMILAR TO A TIN OF BAKED BEANS;18.34 MWS IV ROTTEN RE BANDS SOLD OUT FOR AN EASY BUCK;18.41 MCU IV STEWART RE MUSICAL INFLUENCES OF THE 1970'S;19.14 LIB FF#1 VS EXCERPT 'CROCODILE ROCK' PERFORMED BY JOHN;19.42 VS IV JOHN RE HAVING A BREAK FROM COMPOSING AND PERFORMING, WRITING THE RECORD 'EGO' ABOUT BANDS LIKE THE ROLLING STONES, 1970'S WAS A BIG MONEY ERA, MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR RECORD CONTRACTS, ERA OF MEGASTARS, TOURING WITH BANDS, HOW HE SEES MUSIC GOING INTO THE 1980'S;23.53 LIB FF#3 VS EXCERPT 'CROCODILE ROCK' PERFORMED BY JOHN;24.09 LIB FTG MCU IV MELDRUM RE NEED FOR A MUSIC PROGRAM ON TELEVISION;24.20 LIB FTG COUNTDOWN OPENING TITLES;24.31 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT HINES PERFORMS 'YOU' ON COUNTDOWN;24.48 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT UNIDENTIFIED BAND PERFORM ON COUNTDOWN;25.03 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT THE ANGELS PERFORM 'SHADOW BOXER' ON COUNTDOWN;25.17 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT COLD CHISEL PEROFRM 'BREAKFAST AT SWEETHARTS' ON COUNTDOWN;25.34 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT COUNTDOWN DANCERS PERFORM TO 'I WILL SURVIVE' BY GLORIA GAYNOR;26.05 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT MI-SEX PERFORM 'COMPUTER GAME' ON COUNTDOWN;26.20 LIB FTG VS EXCERPT CHEAP TRICK PERFORM 'DREAM POLICE' ON COUNTDOWN;26.37 BREAKER;26.41 MCU IV FERRY RE CREATING VIDEO CLIPS FOR SONGS;27.30 MCU IV BOWIE RE RISE OF VIDEO CLIPS;27.55 MCU

ID: 212478 - COUNTDOWN;SHOW 227 - PROGRAM Feb 17 1980

duration: 53.41
summary: THIS SHOW HOSTED BY DARYL BRAITHWAITE. MELDRUM HOSTS HUMDRUM AND INTERVIEWS BETTE MIDLER RE MOVIE 'THE ROSE', ACTING/RECORDING AND AUSTRALIA, MELDRUM ALSO INTERVIEWS RICHARD PARFITT OF STATUS QUO

personalities: DARYL BRAITHWAITE, SINGER, COUNTDOWN HOST;IAN MELDRUM, MOLLY MELDRUM, COUNTDOWN CO-HOST;JOHN PAUL YOUNG, SINGER;RICHARD PARFITT, SINGER;BETTE MIDLER, ENTERTAINER;SKYHOOKS, BAND;THE REELS, BAND
shotlist: 0.00 OPENING TITLES;0.11 FF#1 VS SKYHOOKS PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'THIS TOWN IS BORING';3.59 MS BRAITHWAITE LINK;4.18 FF#2 VS CAPTAIN AND TENNILLE 'DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME' FILM CLIP;7.18 BREAKER CHARTBUSTERS;7.24 FF#3 VS EXCERPT RITZ 'LOCOMOTION' FILM CLIP;7.59 FF#4 VS EXCERPT KERMIT THE FROG 'RAINBOW CONNECTION' FILM CLIP;8.45 FF#5 VS EXCERPT FLYING LIZARDS 'MONEY' FILM CLIP;10.40 MS BRAITHWAITE LINK;10.57 VS MELDRUM IV MIDLER INC FF#6 EXCERPT FROM MOVIE 'THE ROSE';13.52 BREAKER;13.57 MS HEAD BOYS MEMBERS LINK;14.14 FF#7 VS HEAD BOYS 'THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME' FILM CLIP;17.25 FF#2 VS BRAITHWAITE PERFORMS LIVE IN STUDIO 'PROVE YOUR LOVE';20.01 FF#8 VS B52'S 'ROCK LOBSTER' FILM CLIP;22.40 VS BRAITHWAITE LINK;23.02 FF#3 VS STEVE FORBERT 'ROMEO'S TUNE' FILM CLIP;26.00 MCU BRAITHWAITE LINK;26.19 FF#9 VS THE REELS PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'PREFAB HEARTS';29.10 BREAKER;29.15 VS MELDRUM IV PARFITT RE LONG TERM SUCCESS, ROCK AND ROLL, NEVER CONFORMED TO TRENDS, INC FF#7 EXCERPT STATUS QUO 'ROCKERS ROLLIN' FILM CLIP, FF#7 EXCERPT STATUS QUO 'LIVING ON AN ISLAND' FILM CLIP;33.40 MS BRAITHWAITE LINK;34.04 FF#2 VS MADNESS 'ONE STEP BEYOND' FILM CLIP;36.03 BREAKER HUMDRUM;36.08 MS MELDRUM LINK;36.25 CU VOTING COUPON TEXT RE TV WEEK ROCK MUSIC AWARDS 1980;36.56 VS MELDRUM PRESENTS HUMDRUM, SPEAKS RE VOTING FOR AWARDS, MOTELS, NICK GILDER, TOM PETTY, INC FF#10 EXCERPT MOTELS 'TOTAL CONTROL' FILM CLIP, FF#11 EXCEPT TOM PETTY 'HERE COMES MY GIRL' FILM CLIP;39.43 VS MELDRUM IV BRAITHWAITE RE RUMOURS, CHANGING BAND NAME, NEW SONGS, INC FF#12 EXCERPT SHERBS 'NEVER SURRENDER' FILM CLIP;42.45 FF#13 VS JOHN PAUL YOUNG PERFORMS LIVE IN STUDIO 'HOT FOR YOU BABY';46.22 BREAKER NATIONAL TOP 10;46.30 FF#14 VS EXCERPT JUDY TZUKE 'STAY WITH ME TILL DAWN' FILM CLIP;46.53 FF#15 VS EXCERPT THE BUGGLES 'VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR' FILM CLIP;47.11 FF#16 VS EXCERPT THE JACKSONS 'BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE' FILM CLIP;47.30 FF#17 VS EXCERPT POLICE 'MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE' FILM CLIP;47.50 FF#15 VS EXCERPT KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND 'PLEASE DON'T GO' FILM CLIP;48.10 FF#2 VS EXCERPT CAPTAIN AND TENNILLE 'DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME' FILM CLIP;48.30 FF#7 VS EXCERPT QUEEN 'CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE' FILM CLIP;48.49 FF#2 VS EXCERPT MICHAEL JACKSON 'DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH' FILM CLIP;49.11 FF#18 VS EXCERPT COLLEEN HEWITT 'DREAMING MY DREAMS WITH YOU' FILM CLIP;49.30 MWS MELDRUM, YOUNG AND BRAITHWAITE CHAT, MELDRUM INVITES THREE GIRLS FROM AUDIENCE ONTO STAGE, THREE GIRLS DRESSED IN KISS COSTUMES WITH KISS MAKEUP, MELDRUM CHATS TO GIRLS;50.58 FF#19 VS EXCERPT RUPERT HOLMES 'ESCAPE' FILM CLIP AND END CREDITS

ID: 192235 - COUNTDOWN;AUSTRALIAN MADE IN 1981 - PROGRAM
Dec 20 1981 Summer Special No.2

duration: 55.18
summary: MUSIC PROGRAM FEATURING MIX OF LIVE BANDS IN STUDIO AND VIDEO CLIPS AND INCLUDING TOP TEN. COUNTDOWN SUMMER SPECIAL FEATURING AUSTRALIAN BANDS WHO HAD HITS DURING 1981 AND INTRODUCED BY MOLLY MELDRUM ON CHRISTMAS SET COMPLETE WITH TREE AND PRESENTS

personalities: MOLLY MELDRUM, IAN MELDRUM, COUNTDOWN HOST;THE DIVINYLS, BAND (LIB FTG);THE PREFECTS, BAND (LIB FTG);THE CHURCH, BAND (LIB FTG);BRODERICK SMITH'S BIG COMBO, BAND (LIB FTG);VERTICAL HOLD, BAND (LIB FTG);HEAVEN, BAND (LIB FTG);DARRYL COTTON, SINGER (LIB FTG);PETER CUPPLES, SINGER (LIB FTG);MI-SEX, BAND (LIB FTG);ICEHOUSE, BAND (LIB FTG)
shotlist: ALL LIB FTG;0.00 OPENING TITLES;0.14 MWS MELDRUM SINGS FIRST FEW BARS OF 'JINGLE BELLS' BESIDE CHRISTMAS TREE AND PRESENTS, SPEAKS RE CHRISTMAS SPECIALS, THEME OF SHOW IS 'AUSTRALIAN MADE IN 1981', AUSTRALIAN MUSIC SCENE AT HOME AND OVERSEAS;1.10 BREAKER;1.15 VS THE DIVINYLS PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'BOYS IN TOWN';4.05 VS THE PREFECTS PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'WAIT UNTIL MIDNIGHT';7.16 VS INXS PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'STAY YOUNG';10.36 VS EXCERPT 'WHO CAN IT BE NOW' FILM CLIP BY MEN AT WORK;11.25 VS EXCERPT 'COUNTING THE BEAT' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY THE SWINGERS;12.09 VS EXCERPT 'REPUTATION' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY WENDY AND THE ROCKETS;12.53 VS EXCERPT 'SPIES' STUDIO PERFOMANCE BY PLASTIC LOVE;13.39 VS THE CHURCH PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'UNGUARDED MOMENT';17.45 VS MONDO ROCK 'SUMMER OF '81' FILM CLIP;21.27 VS EXCERPT 'DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN' FILM CLIP BY RENEE GEYER;22.10 VS EXCERPT 'BESERK WARRIORS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY MENTAL AS ANYTHING;23.02 VS BRODERICK SMITH'S BIG COMBO PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'MY FATHERS HANDS';26.00 VS ROCK ALL OVER THE WORLD PROMO;26.44 VS VERTICAL HOLD PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'MY IMAGINATION';29.38 VS EXCERPT 'BUSTING LOOSE' STUDIO PERFOMRANCE BY MOVING PICTURES;30.22 VS EXCERPT 'SERIOUS WORDS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY SERIOUS YOUNG INSECTS;31.09 VS EXCERPT 'ONLY TIME' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY THE RIPTIDES;31.52 VS EXCERPT 'ALONE WITH YOU' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY SUNNYBOYS;32.34 VS HEAVEN PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'YOU'RE MY FANTASY';35.43 VS DARRYL COTTON PERFORMS LIVE IN STUDIO 'NICE GIRLS';39.46 VS EXCERPT 'AINT BEEN MISSING YOU' BY LYN VON HECKE FILM CLIP;40.36 VS EXCERPT 'MAYBE' STUDIO PERFORMANCE BY SHARON O'NEIL;41.27 VS PETER CUPPLES PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'FEAR OF THUNDER';44.45 VS MI-SEX PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'SHANGHAI';47.57 VS ICEHOUSE PERFORM LIVE IN STUDIO 'LOVE IN MOTION';51.20 VS COLD CHISEL 'NOTHING I WANT' FILM CLIP;54.34 BREAKER;54.37 MWS MELDRUM SPEAKS RE AUSTRALIAN MUSIC, THANKS TO VIEWERS FOR SUPPORT FOR COUNTDOWN AND AUSTRALIAN MUSIC, WISHES VIEWERS A MERRY CHRISTMAS

ID: 191079 - COUNTDOWN;SHOW 439 - PROGRAM Oct 21 1984

duration: 54.38
summary: MUSIC PROGRAM FEATURING MIX OF LIVE BANDS IN STUDIO AND VIDEO CLIPS AND INCLUDING TOP TEN

personalities: IAN MELDRUM, MOLLY MELDRUM, ABC HOST;BOY GEORGE, SINGER, CULTURE CLUB;MARILYN, POP SINGER, UK;HOWARD JONES, SINGER;LINDSAY BUCKINGHAM, SINGER;KISS, BAND;HUEY LEWIS, SINGER;SHEILA E, SINGER;CYNDI LAUPER, SINGER;JOHN CRAWFORD, BAND MEMBER, BERLIN;TERRI NUNN, SINGER, BERLIN;OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN, SINGER;BILLY IDOL, SINGER
shotlist: 0.00 MCU LAUPER OPENS SHOW;0.06 OPENING TITLES;0.31 FF#1 VS THE ANGELS FILM CLIP 'BETWEEN THE EYES';4.26 MWS MELDRUM, MARILYN & BOY GEORGE BURN A BOY GEORGE RECORD;4.47 VS NATIONAL CHARTBUSTERS INC FF#2 EXCERPT CLIP 'BETTER BE GOOD TO ME' BY TINA TURNER, FF#3 EXCERPT CLIP 'SOUL KIND OF FEELING' BY DYNAMIC HYPNOTICS, FF#4 EXCERPT CLIP 'THE WARRIOR' BY SCANDAL, FF#5 EXCERPT CLIP 'SEARCHIN' BY HAZELL DEAN;19.20 MCU SHEILA E INTRO'S SONG, CA FF#6 VS SHEILA E 'GLAMOROUS LIFE' FILM CLIP;13.46 BREAKER;14.03 FF#8 VS EXCERPT BERLIN 'DANCING IN BERLIN' FILM CLIP;14.55 FF#9 VS EXCERPT SKYHOOKS 'HORROR MOVIE' PERFORMING ON COUNTDOWN;15.39 FF#10 VS JONES PERFORMS LIVE ON SHOW 'LIKE TO GET TO KNOW YOU WELL';19.21 BREAKER;19.27 FF#11 TWISTED SISTER 'WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT' FILM CLIP;23.18 MCU BUCKINGHAM PROMO FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW;23.28 FF#12 VS BUCKINGHAM 'GO INSANE' FILM CLIP;26.14 BREAKER;26.21 MWS KISS INTRO SONG;26.34 FF#13 VS KISS 'HEAVEN'S ON FIRE' FILM CLIP;29.27 MCU LEWIS PROMO 10TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW;29.34 FF#14 VS HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'IF THIS IS IT' FILM CLIP;33.28 BREAKER;37.16 MCU 2S CRAWFORD & NUNN PROMO 10TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW;37.27 MWS MELDRUM SPEAKS RE CHARTS AND MUSIC;38.25 FF#14 EXCERPT VS AUSTEN TAYSHUS 'PHANTOM SHUFFLE' FILM CLIP;39.38 MWS MELDRUM, CA VS US TOP 5;40.27 MWS MELDRUM SPEAKS RE WIGS INSPIRED BY BOY GEORGE;41.39 MWS MCU IV BOY GEORGE RE RIVALRY BETWEEN DURAN DURAN AND CULTURE CLUB;42.38 MWS MELDRUM SPEAKS RE IV WITH WHAM;43.48 VS UK TOP 5;44.22 MWS MELDRUM LINK;45.20 FF#15 VS EXCERPT DURAN DURAN 'WILD BOYS' FILM CLIP;45.54 MWS MELDRUM RE MUSIC NEWS, CA FF#12 QUEEN 'HAMMER TO FALL' FILM CLIP;50.30 MWS NEWTON-JOHN PROMO 10TH ANNIVERSARY FILM CLIP;50.36 VS TOP 10 INC FF#6 EXCERPT 'DRIVE' BY THE CARS, FF#16 EXCERPT 'SHE BOP' BY CYNDI LAUPER, FF#17 EXCERPT 'CONTROL' BY DIVINE', FF#19 EXCERPT 'DANCING IN THE DARK' BY BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, FF#14 EXCERPT 'LEGS' BY ZZ TOP, FF#17 EXCERPT 'MISSING YOU' BY JOHN WAITE, FF#19 EXCERPT 'PRIDE' BY U2, FF18 EXCERPT 'GHOSTBUSTERS' BY RAY PARKER JNR AND FF#13 EXCERPT 'CARELESS WHISPER' BY GEORGE MICHAEL;54.28 MCU IDOL PROMO FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW

Oh dear,

The dreaded 1979 "END OF A DECADE" being played yet AGAIN! For the 3rd b l o o d y time!

I mustn't complain as the 1984 Episode is another one I requested, so I have so far got 2 Episodes off my list.

Patrick, I agree. This whole 1980 Countdown patter is HELL! ... 1980 Countdown's are less than brilliant!

Where is 1982???????

I had a horrid feeling that rage would play the boring 1979 END OF A DECADE as last week's episode said next week. If ONLY they followed the same pattern with the 1985 Spandau ballet episode!

Least I am getting my 1984 Episode which I have requested for years, not bad having 2 Episodes from my request list.

Now Patrick, here's hoping for Spandau Ballet, 1985 for next week! CROSSING MY FINGERS HARD!

ROCK ARENA IS S H I T E this week!

Patrick)

Retro 3 looks ok but I hope Rage gets out of its 1980 rut soon - it's not a year I particularly embrace with much enthusiasm - I know others love it but I found that year very hit and miss - definately a 'take it or leave it' year to me.[/quote

Tell me about it Patrick, I am so OVER this 1980 business now, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!

The year 1980 was sort of an in-between music styles period. It got more intertesting from 1981 onwards, when the big UK scene started to happen and breathed some life back into it.

Totally agree Brett!

Yes well I'm certainly hanging out for some 82/83 ones and the Spandau Ballet/Timebandits 85 ep of course.

I'm just disappointed at the lack of variety with Countdowns so far. After Retro week 3 we'll have had 3 1980 eps, 2 81's and 2 1979 ones. Why not some others - even some 86/87 ones?? Where's the imagination?

Don't get me wrong - I don't begrudge fans of 1980 Countdowns, but I've found that year to be rather dull. The few exceptions are the Xanadu Dance Comp (because of that great Euro-disco dancer in it), the Village People ep and the one featuring the Ramones. The rest I can take or leave really.

For me, Countdown really fired up from about July 1981 onwards - when the new romantic era set in.

I've requested several times some eps to be played from 82 - 85 in the Rage forum but seemed to have been overlooked - hopefully some will surface soon as I want some EXCITMENT with the Countdowns!

And the less said about the repeated - for the 4th time!! - 1979 End of Decade special the better!

While I'm thinking of it - I wonder which episode will be edited this weekend?

First it was the 84 10th Anniversary special, then last week it was the Marc Hunter 1979 ep so one assumes an ep this week will meet the same fate?

At a guess I'd say the End of Decade special if it includes any Beatles or Kiss footage - I hope we see all Countdowns uncut but we shall see....

I'm very happy to see the Rock Arena with Suzanne Dowling. Not only Hunters & Collectors live in the studio but rare clips from Tim Finn and Stephen Cummings. I used to love all the live performances on Rock Arena from great Aussie bands and this is one of them. I had suggested this back when everyone was still boycotting due to watermarks so maybe it helped getting in early.

That's actually my 4th suggestion that the Rage programmers have gone with, I give a reason for each suggestion and maybe they agreed with some of them (then again it could be pure coincidence). After 10/3/85 and 23/8/80 last week, (although the latter of those was suggested to avoid 70's repeats which hasn't quite worked) they have gone with 20/12/81 (which I had suggested was suitable for Australia Day weekend as it is full of Oz acts, although they have gone with it a week early - so who knows) and Rock Arena 22/7/86.

I had suggested that they play unrepeated episodes from early 1980 to avoid having to repeat 1970's episodes as I consider 1980 to be more in line with 70's than 80's. They have ended up going with both so that hasn't quite worked out either. I am also of the same opinion as CJ and Patrick that 1980 and the first half of 1981 wasn't anything to write home about. If they are going to repeat 70's shows they probably could have shelved the 1980 ones but they are episodes I have not seen before and any unrepeated Countdown is a bonus.

Fortunately they played most of the better Countdowns pre watermark days as just about every episode that still exists to be shown has only one or two standouts on it.

Even though I love 1984 Countdowns there is not too much on this episode either as I am not sure there are any live performances. Howard Jones might be live but the description isn't too clear whether it is live on this show or a UK TV show. Would have been great if they had the complete performances of Warrior and Searchin' though as that would have given it a real 1984 feel (more so than KISS or Angels). I have never seen a clip for Searchin' other than live on TOTP so will be interested to see if there was a clip or is just TOTP. This will be one of the highlights of the night though as I could sit through anything from 1984, even if I have all the material, as the feel and the general vibe of the show was so tightly executed.

I am generally quite happy with their overall programming, we haven't had too much Recovery so it has been very watchable.

I ahve to say that over the years rage have played my suggestions of very good New Romantic era episodes from 1981 and 1982.

It seems they are trying to be more daggy this year?.. The 1980 episodes are ok up to a point but they are NOT 80s enough yet!

This weekend will be the 2nd 1984 Episode, if only the 10th Anniversary was NOT played and an un played 1984 ep was played, it would have made it 2 un played 1984's!

My FAVOURITE year of Countdown by far is 1982 and that fact there hasn't been any 1982 is just pure H E L L!

The only episode this week with some punch is the 1984 and to a point 1981 seems bearable!

Patrick
While I'm thinking of it - I wonder which episode will be edited this weekend?

First it was the 84 10th Anniversary special, then last week it was the Marc Hunter 1979 ep so one assumes an ep this week will meet the same fate?

At a guess I'd say the End of Decade special if it includes any Beatles or Kiss footage - I hope we see all Countdowns uncut but we shall see....

I don't think KISS clip footage is what caused the problem, I think it was in relation to the copyright on the film/movie. Rage played a batch of KISS last June and there is KISS on the 1984 episode so it may be a different issue

I bet rage play the horrid END OF A DECADE first followed by the CRAP Rock Arena they chose. Knowing my luck, the 1984 episode and 1981 will be played in the end.

Oh dear, may I add the Rock Arena's this year are complete RUBBISH! ... I am so OVER the whole "LIVE CONCERT" Episodes! I want video's!

And PLEASE let this be the very LAST we see of 1980 Episodes of Countdown this January!

Hopefully the last 2 weeks see NO repeats and Non Stop 1981 to 1985 Countdown's!

It's SO bizarre that rage aren't pulling out the big name studio acts like Spandau Ballet, Nolans and Sheena Easton??? I don't get it!

guru bob
I'm very happy to see the Rock Arena with Suzanne Dowling. Not only Hunters & Collectors live in the studio but rare clips from Tim Finn and Stephen Cummings. I used to love all the live performances on Rock Arena from great Aussie bands and this is one of them. I had suggested this back when everyone was still boycotting due to watermarks so maybe it helped getting in early.

That's actually my 4th suggestion that the Rage programmers have gone with, I give a reason for each suggestion and maybe they agreed with some of them (then again it could be pure coincidence). After 10/3/85 and 23/8/80 last week, (although the latter of those was suggested to avoid 70's repeats which hasn't quite worked) they have gone with 20/12/81 (which I had suggested was suitable for Australia Day weekend as it is full of Oz acts, although they have gone with it a week early - so who knows) and Rock Arena 22/7/86.

I had suggested that they play unrepeated episodes from early 1980 to avoid having to repeat 1970's episodes as I consider 1980 to be more in line with 70's than 80's. They have ended up going with both so that hasn't quite worked out either. I am also of the same opinion as CJ and Patrick that 1980 and the first half of 1981 wasn't anything to write home about. If they are going to repeat 70's shows they probably could have shelved the 1980 ones but they are episodes I have not seen before and any unrepeated Countdown is a bonus.

Fortunately they played most of the better Countdowns pre watermark days as just about every episode that still exists to be shown has only one or two standouts on it.

Even though I love 1984 Countdowns there is not too much on this episode either as I am not sure there are any live performances. Howard Jones might be live but the description isn't too clear whether it is live on this show or a UK TV show. Would have been great if they had the complete performances of Warrior and Searchin' though as that would have given it a real 1984 feel (more so than KISS or Angels). I have never seen a clip for Searchin' other than live on TOTP so will be interested to see if there was a clip or is just TOTP. This will be one of the highlights of the night though as I could sit through anything from 1984, even if I have all the material, as the feel and the general vibe of the show was so tightly executed.

I am generally quite happy with their overall programming, we haven't had too much Recovery so it has been very watchable.

Thanks GuruBob - I think that 17/02/80 was one I requested in the Rage guestbook myself as this show has some rare studio & promo clips (and I know the Rage team love The Reels as well for some reason) - in particular The Headboys "Shape Of Things to Come" is a very rare promo for a late piece of UK punk-new wave and a vinyl 45 I purchased myself way back in 1980 although it barely charted. I also actually hoped for the show 2 weeks later where Judie Tzuke performed in the studio and another extremely rare overseas clip Charlie Dore Pilot Of The Airwaves was shown.

Not pleased to see the End Of The Decade Special with complete interviews - the most boring Countdown of all time - but happy that the other shows are NOT repeats!!

Out of all this, there is one GREAT thing so far, and although all the shows haven't been necessarily choice episodes, at least we now have a total of 7 un-repeated episodes that we didn't have at the end of last year - and still 2 more weeks left!

Sorry guru... BUT the Rock Arena you suggested is just terrible :-(

I requested the 1984 episode for one purpose and that is George and Marilyn. My copy is a dub that is crap so I need a nice copy of the interview :-)

I AM indeed p i s s e d off that this episode doesn't play the FULL Hazell Dean and Scandal :-(

That would have been AMAZING!

Jason "The Moderator"

Patrick, I agree. This whole 1980 Countdown patter is HELL! ... 1980 Countdown's are less than brilliant!

On Dec 27 you wrote in the "Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I thought..." thread

"And I agree, 1980 to 1984 are SERIOUSLY fabulous Countdown years!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL, so what happened in the last 2 weeks to get such a down grading for 1980?

I like 1981 to 1985 Countdowns and not 1980. I must have put 1980 down accidentally.

This retro month so far is so S H I T T Y

I also requested this 1984 below which in fact is BETTER than the 1984 they are playing for me this week BUT George ALWAYS comes first!'

*** 26/8/1984 ***
Show no:431
Summary: THIS SHOW IS LIVE FROM SYDNEY AND MOLLY PRESENTS HUMDRUM FROM PERTH LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
QED 'THIS ONE'
AVION 'STILL THE NIGHT'
DROPBEARS 'PROUD'
VIDEO CLIPS:
DIVINYLS 'GOOD DIE YOUNG'
SLADE 'RUN RUNAWAY'
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'DANCING IN THE DARK'
NIK KERSHAW 'I WON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN'
ZZ TOP 'LEGS'
CYNDI LAUPER 'SHE BOP'
TINA TURNER 'WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT' (ENDS SHOW)

I want this DESPERATELY for Q.E.D and DROPBEARS in the studio!

Hunters And Collector's live in 1986 is enough to make me want to slash my wrists :-( VILE

Not fair, I have asked for I'm Talking live on Rock Arena for 10 years. It just sux! ... I am sure I'm Talking are NOT bogan enough for rage!

If rage were playing nothing but 1980 Epsiodes of Countdown they could at least play Kim Hart with Love At First Night!

The problem with 1980 epsiodes is there were AMAZING things like John Foxx, Ultravox, Japan, Fad Gadget BUT these artists were only shown in Humdrum and not in full clips! All the daggy crap was more shown in full...

I LOVE the year 1980 for all the British underground New Romantic and German Synth Pop like Telex e.t.c...

Just not OZ stuff as much except things like The Reels, Kim Hart and more pop stuff

Jason "The Moderator"
If rage were playing nothing but 1980 Epsiodes of Countdown they could at least play Kim Hart with Love At First Night!

The problem with 1980 epsiodes is there were AMAZING things like John Foxx, Ultravox, Japan, Fad Gadget BUT these artists were only shown in Humdrum and not in full clips! All the daggy crap was more shown in full...

I LOVE the year 1980 for all the British underground New Romantic and German Synth Pop like Telex e.t.c...

Just not OZ stuff as much except things like The Reels, Kim Hart and more pop stuff

It was always difficult to get Music clips by John Foxx and Ultravox around that time. Videodisc played Foxx's 'Endlessly' and 'Dancing like a gun'( which they extended, as the offical clip finishes around a minute too early.) in full which was great. A year ago i stumbled upon a VHS John Foxx compilation at a record fair. As some guy wanted to sell his entire video music collection.

The 84 and 81 and Rock Arena episodes sound fantastic,

Shame there is another repeat, after all these years of taping, I would like a collection of all the countdowns left in the ABC archives....lol

Jason "The Moderator"
I bet rage play the horrid END OF A DECADE first followed by the CRAP Rock Arena they chose. Knowing my luck, the 1984 episode and 1981 will be played in the end.

Oh dear, may I add the Rock Arena's this year are complete RUBBISH! ... I am so OVER the whole "LIVE CONCERT" Episodes! I want video's!

And PLEASE let this be the very LAST we see of 1980 Episodes of Countdown this January!

Hopefully the last 2 weeks see NO repeats and Non Stop 1981 to 1985 Countdown's!

It's SO bizarre that rage aren't pulling out the big name studio acts like Spandau Ballet, Nolans and Sheena Easton??? I don't get it!

I have to disagree Jason, Hunters were a great aussie band, and I am sooo looking forward to seeing this Rock Arena. As long as it is Aussie stuff I am happy. The Kinks wasn't quite what I had hoped last weekend.

@ Stephen. I have the John Foxx VHS compilation. Got it back in 1997 at Cash Converters :-)

Just saying that I LOVE 1980 the year for music BUT Countdown didn't really get a lot of more obscure stuff till 1981. Anything they did get in 1980 was more played in bits and pieces in Humdrum rather than in full.

Regarding Hunters And Collectors, I LOVE there first 2 or 3 singles and that's it!. When they were Post Punk/New Wave with "Talking To A Stranger" they were utterly fantastic. After that they turned bogan.

The problem with Rock Arena episodes with live concerts is NO variety!... If rage played episodes with mixed videos with a mixed bag of artists it would be MUCH better!

I have a sneaking suspicion about which Countdown Rage will repeat next. Judging by their pattern thus far we've had the 10th Anniversary special, and next the End of Decade Special and I'm assuming they'll play another similar ep in the coming weeks.

What ep am I talking about? I refuse to name it here in case someone from Rage or someone here gets ideas and asks for it! But if it airs I'll scream!

Here's to some unaired eps soon - and 82/83 ones too !

Jason "The Moderator"

Absolutely agree, we had the kinks last week, and now a whole show on the hunters live, this has become rediculous! I would love to see more rock arena's with various videos, rather then live performances, as these bore me to the s h i t.

In relation to 1980, I actually love that year, but for others sake, I would agree that more variety in the years could be shown. 1980 was the year I got my first boombox, and remember taping heaps of stuff off the radio at the time, so I do have many fond memories of 1980, but having said that, I can appreciate that not everyone is into that year, and if the programming of rage was up to me, i would of certainly thrown more years into the hat.

Mark from 2PR FM
[quote=

Absolutely agree, we had the kinks last week, and now a whole show on the hunters live, this has become rediculous! I would love to see more rock arena's with various videos, rather then live performances, as these bore me to the s h i t.

TOTALLY AGREE!

I was SO looking foirward to some actual various Rock Arena's! It just S U X ... Just ridiculous :-(

Rock Arena from 1986 will be showing a Tim Finn clip for No Thunder, No Fire, No Rain - a song about the 1984 Bhopal Union Carbide gas leak which killed thousands of people. Will be interesting to see which clip it is. The first clip was in black and white and had quite a dark and morbid feeling about it. Sales of the song were slow and it was decided the clip might be the problem. A new upbeat colour clip was hastily shot and sent out. Both clips were shown on Rock Arena. Countdown had a live performance by Tim Finn of the song.

Tim Finn BORES the F U C K out of me when he is not with Split Enz!

Jason "The Moderator"

I would like to agree, but you've obviously missed his 1983 album "escapade", very good album indeed. It had "fraction too much friction", "made my day", "staring at the embers", "through the years", and the memorable "singing in the minor key", which he had a few problems performing with on the 1984 countdown awards, when apparently the onstage microphone screwed up. I have his "Big Canoe" album on CD from 1986, which yes, is boring as hell, and I think he still had an album in 1989, but can't remember, I know he had a single in May of that year with "how I'm gonna sleep".

I thought Tim's Escapade album was also great, I particularly liked Staring At The Embers and In A Minor Key.

The Tim Finn - No Thunder No Fire No Rain clip was one of the reasons that I chose that episode over others as I had been asking for that for a while as well. I had mentioned it when the Bhopal disaster 25th anniversary came last year as it is a great song and good clip.

While a few people did mention Rock Arena last year, no one suggested any particular episodes, other than Jason with the Japan episode and the 3 that I mentioned. Ultimately it comes down to the programmers as to whether they show a suggested episode or go their own way such as the Kinks concert.

Since the Retro season has started there has been a lot of support for the Rock n Roll Women episode that I posted on another thread and Scott has asked for an Oz Rock episode but I don't know if we have left it a bit late for those 2.

I was a big fan of Rock Arena during the Suzanne Dowling years and loved the live performances and the rarer clips that they would show. They were not concerts but in studio performances of about 5 tracks. I am certainly looking forward to this week.

Mark from 2PR FM
Jason "The Moderator"

I would like to agree, but you've obviously missed his 1983 album "escapade", very good album indeed. It had "fraction too much friction", "made my day", "staring at the embers", "through the years", and the memorable "singing in the minor key", which he had a few problems performing with on the 1984 countdown awards, when apparently the onstage microphone screwed up.

Sorry Mark, I also don't dig Tim Finn's "Escapade". I can't tell you how much I LOATH "Fraction Too Much Friction". Everytime I have to hear it it makes me want to pull my hair out!... "Made My Day" is so so and "Singing In The Minor Key" is also vile... OOPS!

Jason "The Moderator"

Hey Jason,
I have a digital copy of Kim's Love At First Night performance from the VH1 Countdown Performances specials a few year back, if you happen to want it.

Cheers,
Sean

Before and After is my fav Finn album. Persuasion is actually one of the weaker tracks on it, which should give those who haven't heard it an indication of how brilliant it is.

He also made a strong contribution to Crowded House's Woodface.

I heard a recent recording on ABC radio one afternoon while washing the car and while he's arguably past his prime as a singer/songwriter, he sounded great to me.

Rage have just put up their list for Saturday night:

12:30 AM
COUNTDOWNFeburary 17th 1980 (ABC)

1:30 AM
HIPPIES WITH MONEY - THE EVERLY BROTHERSAugust 20th 1971 (ABC)

2:00 AM
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTSSexxy - Live On Recovery (ABC)

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTSTill My Head Falls Off- Live On Recovery (ABC)

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTSRecovery March 22nd, 1997 (ABC)

SKUNKHOURUp To Our Necks (Epic)

2:30 AM
SKUNKHOURBreathing Through My Eyes - Live On Recovery (ABC)

SKUNKHOURRecovery March 22nd, 1997 (ABC)

SUPERGRASSRecovery March 22nd, 1997 (ABC)

SUPERGRASSLenny (EMI)

SUPERGRASSMansize Rooster (EMI)

MARILYN MANSONRecovery March 22nd 1997 (ABC)

MARILYN MANSONDope Hat (Universal)

MARILYN MANSONTorniquet (Universal (MCA))

EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTENDie Interimsliebenden (Mushroom)

3:00 AM
SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEESPeek A Boo (Polydor)

SHARON O'NEILLWaiting For You (CBS)

COUNTDOWN21 October, 1984 (ABC)

4:00 AM
COUNTDOWN - END OF THE DECADE SPECIALDecember 16th 1979 (ABC)

5:30 AM
ROCK ARENAJuly 22nd, 198

For the 1980 fans, they can catch theirs early. For those wanting 1984 it's on at 3am. For all of those eager beavers wanting the End of Decade special (ie no one!) it's on straight afterwards.

Apart from the 84 ep there's not much for me to be thrilled about - this is shaping up to be the most boring Retro season on record...

It's complete S H I T!

yet when rage explain what is in their blurb they seem so excited???

Someone needs to give them a wake up call and let them know how UN THRILLED we all are!

I will be having hours of NOTHING to do.

After 1984 it's straight to bed for this boy.

As End Of A Decade is NOT making me burst with excitement at all!

It's straight to bed for me. I don't want to be up at 2am watching Marilyn Manson waiting for the good stuff. My HDD can get to work and I will skip to the good bits in the morning.

I hope Sharon O'Neill - Waiting For You is the actual clip. That is extremely rare from May 1981.

I was surprised about Sharon O'Neill.

This is rage's pathetic way of trying to please us, they are so sad.

I am excited by Sharon BUT gawd knows what I will do after the 1st Countdown till Sharon and the 1984 as I REFUSE to watch Marilyn Manson on Recovery followed by his video's. They are as retro as NOTHING!

I do like Dope Show BUT not for retro month! It is pathetic to say the least.

Guess I will just have to have a sleep then set the alarm to watch the 1984 Countdown...

rage retro 3 seemed ok when 1981 was going to be played and NOW it's pure torture.

Straight back to bed after 1984. END OF A DECADE can go and F U C K itself for all I care!

I just think its outrageous that the End of Decade special is played yet again and yet not one single person I can recall ever requested it in the Rage forum.

One assumes the missing 1981 ep will appear next week in addition to the - hopefully - 3 Countdowns to be shown then.

As I've said this Retro season has been shockingly dull - and the sad thing is it never needed to be like this - Countdown IS a fantastically exciting show but some of the eps aired so far haven't matched this reputation.

Rage MUST play some 82/83 eps soon!!!

B.O.R.I.N.G.!

The Rage programmers are so incompetent it's beyond belief.

I hope they get sacked after their horrid performance this year.

Marilyn Manson, Skunkhour, They Might Be Giants in Retro Month??

Utter CRAPORAMA!

At least they are still showing some Countdowns, by next year they probably won't be even doing that!

You may be right which is so why we want as many Countdown's as possible. Because as the year's go by Countdown will fade away more and more which rage have displayed this year!

NO effort at ALL is going into programming this January which is really upsetting me. The ABC have SO many GEMS stored away and retro month is supposed to be utter fun but instead it's just miserable!

guru bob
It's straight to bed for me. I don't want to be up at 2am watching Marilyn Manson waiting for the good stuff. My HDD can get to work and I will skip to the good bits in the morning.

I hope Sharon O'Neill - Waiting For You is the actual clip. That is extremely rare from May 1981.

I hope it's the actual clip as well. Like you i will let my HDD do the work.

pinkyblueskies

Marilyn Manson, Skunkhour, They Might Be Giants in Retro Month??

Utter CRAPORAMA!

At least they are still showing some Countdowns, by next year they probably won't be even doing that!

I can't understand the dogged determination they have in showing Recovery and The 10:30 Slot. The first year they showed Recovery there was a huge outcry on the Rage messageboard and it was dropped the following year. The year after that it was back again and despite a similar outcry it has stayed. I can only surmise that there is someone very senior at the ABC hell-bent on having Recovery and The 10:30 Slot go to air. It is especially puzzling because in the period between when Countdown ended and Recovery started - the late 1980s and much of the '90s - the ABC was showing The Factory which was a far better show than Recovery, and more in line with the spirit of Retro Month. I am yet to hear anybody refer to the Noughties - when Recovery and The 10:30 Slot screened - as a period to be looked upon fondly like the 1970s and 1980s. It was dominated by September 11, terrorism hysteria and John Howard. Enough said. It gives a new dimension to the phrase "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be".

Here, Here John!

Jason "The Moderator"

Telex was great Jason, their Disco Moscow was utter brilliance. Great synth sound. I also loved the band called Fake, they had an awesome hit called The Brick. Not sure it was big over here, but certainly in Europe.

Telex were one of the great unrecognised groups. Their version of Rock Around the Clock was better than Bill Haley's

1 2