Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roxy Music

I just read in the paper that Bryan Ferry has got Roxy Music back together and will be touring with Mondo Rock in February next year. Bryan also has a new album coming out in October. Thought i might pass this on.

Re: Roxy Music

Thanks heaps Jase

I wish Mondo Rock would bring out a DVD

Great news about Bryan and Roxy Music.
Used to love Roxy, especially in their early days.
Bryan has a new single out called "You Can Dance" which was featured on the Rage new releases last night.

Roxy Music are a great group - they were borne out of that early 70's period where fashion and music combined perfectly.

I particularly like their 1982 Avalon album - with the title song and More Than This on it - very stylish and well produced.

Their tour with Mondo Rock sounds good - especially if Ross Wilson sings their hits such as Chemistry - which would have to be my favourite Mondo Rock song.

Although one wonders if Ross will avoid singing Eagle Rock or maybe do a duet with Bryan Ferry on it as an encore?

So excited about this tour having never seen Roxy Music...and the fact Mondo Rock is the support act...just fantastic. I saw Ross a few weeks ago touring his excellent new album "I Come In Peace"...he did new stuff, Daddy Cool stuff & Mondo Rock stuff...just incredible. What a legend of Aussie rock & pop.

Now I just wish Sherbet would re-form and do something similar as the support act for another overseas headliner...can't quite think who though. Mondo Rock have made a great decision doing this !

How gorgeous!

I ache for Roxy Music +

I saw Roxy music when they were last here in 2002 ish?

They were AMAZING!

Bryan Ferry gave me an AMAZING look when he was ons tage as I was all Glam'd up!

I was a little upset as they didn't do Angel Eyes or Same Old Scene, my 2 FAV'S from Roxy!

Hopefully this time they will. Noi matter what I shall INDEED be attending this show!!!

Mondo Rock will be fun too!

@abbaluke.

Mondo Rock would be STUPID if they turned down such an offer. Imagine saying a big "NO" to supporting one of the most Lavish bands EVER, Roxy Music.

Mondo Rock should be feeling VERY priviliged for being asked to do this, WOW!

Hey, Sherbet did do a reuinion on the 1st Countdown Spectacular, did you miss it?

I think that may be the closet you will get.

At least at Roxy I will also enjoy the support unlike Pat Benatar, as i do indeed LOATH Bangles MINUS "Hazy Shade", "Be With You" and "GOing Down To liverpool"!

I was always a Bananarama fan for gal groups!

I agree with Patrick - Avalon was a brilliant album,the title track and "More Then This" are gorgeous songs. Such an influential band and along with Bowie and Kraftwerk among others had a massive impact on 80's music.

Is anyone aware if they are going through Ticketek or hideous Ticketmaster?

Apparentley on sale on the 25th, next Wednesday!

GEEZ, I can only imagine how much they are!

Avalon was such a cruisy, dreamy, atmospheric album - still one of my favs.
But I also love their earlier albums such as their very first self titled one, For Your Pleasure, Stranded and Country Life.
Very different from their later stuff but so unique and ahead of their time.
Their image was so camp and elegantly decadant back in their early days...

Early Roxy is miles away from the new age-y Avalon. Country Life especially is an art rock masterpiece and "Out Of The Blue" from that album is a particular favorite.

Yes, different ends of the spectrum - compare their early stuff to their "Avalon era" and you would think it was a different band.
"Out of the Blue", from Country Life , is amazing.
Other favs from that period are "Ladytron", "Chance Meeting", "For Your Pleasure",In "Every Home A Heartache" and "Mother OF Pearl".

Would be great to see Bryan GP Rage this time around when he comes out ...

Gold 104 pre-sale is on NOW

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=ROXYMARN11

log-in and pre-sale password is ROXY

Is Brian Eno are going to join the reformed Roxy Music with Bryan Ferry for their latest Australian tour with Mondo Rock in February next year?

Just found out Roxy Music have moved their Feb 26 show at Hope Estate to Newcastle Ent Cent,but without Mondo Rock as support.A bummer MR won't be playing,but with tickets still available,I'm seriously considering going.A good idea?
Christina-were you going in the first place?

John, wasn't intending on going but might reconsider.
Sometimes I think it spoils your memories of a band/artist in their heyday if you see them years later.
But this wouldn't be so much of an issue with a band like Roxy Music.

I also see that Gary Numan is back again in May, this time featuring earlier songs from the "Pleasure Principle"...I remember seeing him the first time around, back in May 1980 at the State Theatre in Sydney,and he was brilliant.

Hi Christina!
Got my Roxy Music ticket this morning.Won't say how much it cost,but I'm not far from the front and fingers crossed I'll get my money's worth.

Hope so ,John !
Fingers crossed they play all their earlier stuff like Ladytron, Mother of Pearl, In Every Home a Heartache, etc.
So tickets were exy then?
Make sure you give us a review of the concert afterwards.

I am seeing Roxy Music on March 3rd and CAN"T WAIT!

I last saw them back in 2001 and they were FAB!

Only thing is they didn't do any tracks I wanted being:
Same Old Scene
Angel Eyes
More Than This
Over You

:-(

I HOPE SO MUCH THEY DO THESE TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am off to see Roxy is March, Grace Jones in April and Gary Numan in May. NOT BAD :-) *** Talk about 3 quality shows :-) :-) :-)

Oh, I love those songs, as well as Same Old Scene and Both Ends Burning - hope they do them for you this time around ,Jason.
Gary's should be a lot better than last year as he's featuring a lot more of his old stuff...

To anyone who's interested-not long back from seeing Roxy Music live.Roxy Music-thank you,thank you,thank you!You cheered me up big time after the crap week I've had this week.One of the best shows I've ever been to.
A 10 piece line-up,a big screen projecting all sorts of weird & wonderful images(apart from the band onstage),2 female dancers who appeared off & on in various costumes,and a cameraman documenting the show(don't ask if the show I was at will be a DVD release in the future.If it does,look out for a tall goose up the front on the right hand side wearing a loud shirt and playing air drums).Being a latecomer to appreciating Roxy's music,there was a couple I wasn't familiar with(Jason-you might be able to fill in the blanks after you've seen them),but here's what I was familiar with....

Virginia Plain
Do The Strand
Editions Of You
In Every Dream Home A Heartache
For Your Pleasure
Street Life
Prairie Rose
Love Is The Drug
Let's Stick Together
My Only Love
Same Old Scene
Jealous Guy
Avalon
More Than This
The Main Thing
Tara

Plenty of souvenirs available,but the ones I scored were shirts with the front covers for For Your Pleasure and Country Life on them.Tried scoring a Roxy set list,but to no avail.
Trust me Jason,and anyone else on this forum who's going to see Roxy-you'll be blown away!

Make that 11 piece line-up,and the other songs I weren't sure of before look to be...

2HB
If There Is Something
Just Like You
Like A Hurricane

OMFG, Roxy do Same Old Scene and More Than This

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a great concert, John.
Good to hear they played such a wide selection of their songs...but then again, they've got so many to choose from.
Do you remember if they played Mother of Pearl, Out of The Blue and Ladytron?
Great that they included For Your Pleasure and In Every Home a Heartache.
I saw an interview with Bryan the other day and he said that IEHAH is probably his very favourite Roxy song to play live.

Hi Christina!
No Mother Of Pearl,Out Of The Blue and Ladytron I'm afraid.As well as those 3,I was expecting Re-Make/Re-Model and Both Ends Burning too,but not to be.
The surprises for me were Same Old Scene,More Than This and The Main Thing.
The Main Thing was the opener and For Your Pleasure was the closer.
Everyone onstage was in top form,money well spent and you should've been there!

Surprising they didn't play Ladytron and a shame they left out Mother of Pearl, two of my very fave Roxy songs.
But I guess they can't play everything.
An interesting choice, closing with For Your Pleasure - very eerie and atmospheric and quite downbeat. I love this song but thought they would have chosen something more upbeat perhaps.
Anyway, John, sounds like a brilliant show.
Yes, I should have been there!

Got my hands on last Saturday's setlist from Roxy's official website,and here it is in full(oh,and apologies for middle aged moments in previous posts)-

India(Tape,for walk on)
The Main Thing
Street Life
Pyjamarama
Prairie Rose
If There Is Something
More Than This
Jealous Guy
Like A Hurricane
2HB
In Every Dream Home A Heartache
Tara
Bitter Sweet
My Only Love
Same Old Scene
Virginia Plain
Love Is The Drug
Editions Of You
Do The Strand
Avalon
Let's Stick Together
For Your Pleasure

HEAVEN!

They start with the beautiful 'INDIA' which is GORGEOUS!

Same Old Scene and More Than This confirmed, PHEW!

Only gripe I have is no Angel Eyes :-(

The Main Thing is also there which is PURE S E X !