Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laura Branigan CD/DVD release news (thanks sydneysean rage forum)

Hi everyone,

Soooo nice to see the ecstatic excitement of fans at various places throughout the Net and through communications such as email and messaging that we've received regarding the upcoming Warner Music Gallo Africa CD+DVD release Shine On!

This note contains the CD and DVD track listings, as well as additional comments of interest.

CD Track Listing

1. TI AMO

2. SPANISH EDDIE

3. SOLITAIRE

4. SELF CONTROL

5. GLORIA

6. CRY WOLF

7. MAYBE TONIGHT

8. SHATTERED GLASS

9. SHOW ME HEAVEN

10. THE LUCKY ONE

11. THE POWER OF LOVE

12. I FOUND SOMEONE

13. MOONLIGHT ON WATER

14. DIDN'T WE ALMOST WIN IT ALL

15. FOREVER YOUNG

16. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU

17. DIM ALL THE LIGHTS

18. GLORIA - DJ C RADIO EDIT

DVD Track Listing

1. SHATTERED GLASS

2. MAYBE TONIGHT

3. SPANISH EDDIE

4. THE LUCKY ONE

5. GLORIA

6. SELF CONTROL

7. DIM ALL THE LIGHTS

8. DIDN'T WE ALMOST WIN IT ALL

9. MOONLIGHT ON WATER

10. SOLITAIRE

Regarding the CD, it's an impressive 18-track digitally remastered collection strong in selection. It's noteworthy and great to see Forever Young, Laura's signature encore song which has been conspicuously absent from the last few greatest hits compilations, make a welcome return. There was an issue with the original pressing of the CD that warranted our request to have the product pulled, Warner/Gallo agreed, and is in the process of re-pressing it.

Now for the DVD... it certainly will hold a place of special honor in Branigan history, as it is a collection of almost all of Laura's music videos being presented for the FIRST TIME EVER ON DVD!!! Yes, as an astute fan reading down the listing, one would no doubt notice the conspicuous absence of the Cry Wolf video. The project concept for the DVD portion of Shine On was intended for it to include ALL eleven of Laura's Atlantic music videos. However, as Warner/Gallo was searching out the archived master recordings, they were able to find Beta tapes for all the videos, with the exception of Cry Wolf. Although there was a South African VHS video collection released some years ago that did contain the Cry Wolf video, VHS is not a suitable source for authoring onto DVD, as the quality would be rendered below standard. The Beta videos they retrieved are the best quality masters that they have to work with for sourcing onto DVD. The DVD audio portion has been remastered digitally to uplift sound quality, with the video portion being digitized as well for the best possible quality, as the video sourced from the original Beta tapes is non-digital. Obviously video technology has advanced a lot since the days when Laura filmed her videos, and Warner/Gallo has re-mastered the original source tapes the best that they can to improve overall quality.

Of course Other Half Entertainment was pushing for the complete, eleven video set on this DVD, so much so that we asked Warner/Gallo to place a re-order request into the tape plant in Europe that houses WMG master tape files to be absolutely sure as to whether or not the video for Cry Wolf was available. Warner/Gallo was prepared to re-author and re-press the DVD had they received a favorable response back the second time from the tape plant, but unfortunately they didn't. As late as this morning, we gave one final attempt to see if a source tape could be tracked down, but to no avail. It may be the case that the original Beta has been lost, or perhaps it was misplaced and may be located somewhere, maybe even a Beta tape of the video from a source other than the record company may come forward, sometime in the future, which we can only hope will occur. For now both Warner/Gallo and Other Half Entertainment accept that we tried our best to make the DVD a complete set of Laura's videos. So yes, it's disappointing to us and Warner/Gallo, and no doubt to the fans as well, but we mustn't let the omission of this one video be the ultimate focus and distract us from the groundbreaking release that this DVD is, nor prevent us from fully enjoying it.

Today we received the revised print files for our review and feedback, in preparation for the reprinting of the CD/DVD booklet, inlay, and promotional material. Don't want to give away all the specifics, but the product has a great presentation. The whole project is comely together nicely, and it's been a pleasure working closely with the project manager and other staff at Warner/Gallo as we are jointly preparing for product release. Other Half Entertainment cannot thank those working on this project enough for their diligence and desire to give us, the fans, the public, and most importantly our dear LB, a CD+DVD product worthy to bear the name Laura Branigan, and a crucial step forward in the continuance of the wonderful legacy that Laura has left each of us.

Kathy and Vince Golik
Other Half

Re: Laura Branigan CD/DVD release news (thanks sydneysean rage forum)

What I want to know is when is the Sweet & Sour DVD being released. Apparently at this stage it is just the CD.

The Laura Branigan CD/DVD set looks very good - she made for a very fine host in the May 1983 Countdown ep as well - one of the best 83 eps for sure.

As for the missing in action Sweet and Sour dvd......I still check the Ezydvd website all the time for it but to no avail.

It would appear the music copyright gremlins have struck again - or at least until the music clearances come through.

As soon as I can find any info on it I'll post it on here - I'm desperate it for it to be released as well !

I'd also love to see Australia You're Standing In It released onto dvd - some of their musical send ups were brilliant.

Is Laura Branigan Greatest Hits CD/DVD will be release in Australia?

Thanks heaps Guru for your awesome info regarding Laura Branigan

To Nicholas:
I have mine already but bought it overseas, and I see they didn't try to hard in finding Cry Wolf as I have it in great quality. Not a DVD Rip but certainly an extremely nice clean VHS Rip. I never noticed an email from these guys. lol.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Consider this in your batch Guru, along with her DVD

Guru, is this DVD in PAL or NTSC, do you know? Sadly it's not always obvious these days to tell (before viewing) by the country it was pressed in - e.g. I'm still grumbling over the Saint Etienne DVD I recently bought, made in the UK but in awful NTSC

The information I posted was just a cut and paste job from a press release I found. I don't know where the DVD is being produced, as far as I know only the US, Canada and Japan use NTSC but I may be wrong on this. It may be getting done in both formats (NTSC and PAL) as Laura was big in Europe with tracks such as Self Control and you would imagine that they would release it there at the very least.

It was good to get confirmation that Laura only made the 11 actual official clips as I wasn't sure on that.

I have 2 live performance videos - Live At Caesars (includes the only clip I have of Ti Amo) and Live At Atlantic City 1990 - and a couple of fan compiled DVDs including live performances on Japanese TV, Solid Gold etc. All up I have 50 different clips but some of her official clips were from US Pay TV so it will be good to have all without logos etc.

I am looking forward tio getting this DVD.

Self Conmtrol, Solitaire, Shattered Glass and Moonlight On Water is going to be HEAVEN on DVD!

Hi Nathan

My DVD is PAL mate, I am sure they all are.

guru bob
What I want to know is when is the Sweet & Sour DVD being released. Apparently at this stage it is just the CD.

I was wondering what was happening with this as well. Hopefully it'll be released before xmas.

This is what the message says under the Sweet and Sour OST on the ABC Shop website. Released 17 September 2010.

The most important line is the 2nd last line of the paragraph.

So hopefully we should have both by 17 September

The Soundtrack to the cult 80s ABC TV show Sweet and Sour is finally available for the first time in over 20 years and on CD! The show traced the first twelve months in the life of The Takeaways, a young novice band playing Sydney’s inner city pub circuit, starring Tracy Mann and David Reyne.

Some of Australia’s top artists provided their voice to the songs on Sweet and Sour including Deborah Conway, Sharon O’Neill and Ian Moss.

ABC Retail exclusive – 1 month

Released in conjunction with DVD

ISBN / Catalogue Number: 2721667

Thanks for that Lee.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Fingers crossed the complete soundtrack is on it.

I remember watching this show fondly back when it first came on and then as a repeat a few years later.

They should get the original cast back together for a DVD/CD launch - that'd be a great one to go to for sure.

Thanks for the info Lee, I was getting worried that they were going to shelve it again. Wonder what the reason is for the delay.

Thanks also for the offer of a copy of the Laura Branigan DVD, will gladly accept.

Patrick,
is any music video send-ups such as Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse Of The Heart here in Australia You're Standing In It long before The D-Generation, The Comedy Company, Fast Forward, The D-Generation's The Late Show, Full Frontal, Totally Full Frontal, Comedy Inc./Comedy Inc.:The Late Shift, Big Bite, The Chaser's War On Everything and Double Take?

Hi Nicholas

Yes Australia You're Standing In It used to do fantastic musical send ups - I particularly remember the one they did for Bonnie Tyler - was highly amusing.

I think a few of them were even shown on Countdown - I know one or two definately were in some of the 1984 eps. The characters Tim and Debbie certainly appeared on it a couple of times as well.

Hopefully the show will be released onto dvd sometime - I'm very surprised it hasnt. I vaguely recall it being released onto video quite sometime ago. Fingers crossed that and the Sweet and Sour DVD sees the light of day very soon.

The only release of Australia, You're Standing In It that I recall was a compilation video in 1996 that runs for 90 minutes (I have a copy). Similar to the releases they did for The Gillies Report, The Big Gig, The Late Show etc - just package deals. Would be good if they did a release of the whole series.

Gina Riley did the best musical send ups on Fast Forward....and Jane Turner as Alison (can't remember the surname) from the MTV Australia days in '87/'88. Alison was part of one of the morning radio breakfast crew here in Canberra just a couple of years ago. Always just wanted to ring up the radio station and talk to her about her MTV days on Ch.9. She also hosted a Canberra Current Affairs/Lifestyle show here in Canberra on Saturday mornings.

But Gina taking the P I S S out of Stevie Nicks, Paula Abdul, Dannii Minogue and Heart, to name a few, were the highlights of Fast Forward in 1990.

Hi Michael!
Alison Drower was her name and not a bad sort in her time too.

I remember the send-ups of MTV and music video send-ups with Gina Riley in Fast Forward, first there was on television that I saw, then there was on The Very Best Of Fast Forward that I bought from Screensound in Canberra and finally, there was all of Fast Forward DVDs includes the first four series that I bought.
My favourite is a send-up of the Divinyls' I Touch Myself which Gina played as Chrissy Amphlett where a send-up of Chrissy tells the viewers that she want to do it with Fred Nile. It's a joke mate.

Does anyone have the link to buy the Laura Branigan CD/DVD?

Why are people above talkign about Gina Riley?

This is a Laura Branigan thread FOLKS!

Anyone who has a link for the BEST place to buy Laura, PLEASE post here!

Here's a link to the CD/DVD on her site.

http://www.laurabraniganonline.com/main/dsg/dsg_best_12.php

You can buy it from her site. But there must be somewhere else. I noticed the it was made in South Africa.

Wiki: has this info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_On:_The_Ultimate_Collection