Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wildcard 4 and Six Degrees winner's hour both scheduled for May 1!

Uh oh, being scheduled on the same date, this means the winner's hour is going to eat into Wildcard time!

I am truly afraid that the winner of the 6 Degrees competition (if it's not me or someone else from here/the Rage forum) is going to select common as muck/overplayed videos, and this is going to take the place of 15 Wildcard videos for the night. No! Why do Rage always have to do things like this

Re: Wildcard 4 and Six Degrees winner's hour both scheduled for May 1!

Bloody typical!
Wildcard only happens once a year,if we're lucky,so it's one of our only chances to see rare/seldom played videos.
The 6 Degrees winner's programming slot would be far better on a Saturday morning, since it's only an hour...

LOL, I got a "Please refrain from making threatening comments" remark from the Moderator on the guestboard... for kindly/jovially warning them, 'you DO realise there will be hell to pay from those who frequent this message board if an hour of Wildcard time is eaten up with common as muck/overplayed videos'. The Mod sometimes can be humourless.

They might as well throw an hour of Nick Cave onto the playlist for that night while they're at it.

"They might as well throw an hour of Nick Cave onto the playlist for that night while they're at it".

No doubt there will be some Nick Cave somewhere amongst the winner's playlist as well....

Here's what will happen:

Rage starts around 12 midnight:

1 hour winner's picks:

Into My Arms - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Around the World - Daft Punk
Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
Windowlicker - Aphex Twin
Shivers - The Birthday Party
Human Behaviour - Bjork
Electric Feel - MGMT
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Henry Lee - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds featuring PJ Harvey
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Everlong - Foo Fighters
Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
What a Wonderful World - Nick Cave & Shane McGowan
Tomorrow - Silverchair

4.5 hours of Wildcard, but including several clips that are NOT Wildcard material (i.e. Gen Y 'retro' classics from 2000/2001 that were aired many times as new/charting releases at the time, and 1 or 2 80s Madonna clips like 'Live To Tell' or 'Cherish'). Beginning at 1:10am (as the winner's picks ran overtime due to Windowlicker being 9 minutes long), so we have to sit up an extra hour waiting for it to start.

Wildcard finishes at 5:30am, followed by an hour of new release clips that have already been shown umpteen times over the last few weeks.

Sad, but quite likely to happen

NATHAN!

YOU ARE A CLASSIC!

That Playlist you just made up of what will be chosen is SO HALARIOUS. I think that list will be VERY ACCURATE TO WHOM THEY CHOOSE.

i DON'T GET WHERE WE PUT OUR PLAYLISTS OF WHAT WE WOULD CHOOSE????

I have a feeling that NONE of us will be chosen even though we are HARD CORE watchers!

I think from what rage edited out from your post "There will be hell to pay from regulars"... Was NOT a bad comment. You were just being realistic.
The rage Moderator really doesn't have ANY humour at all!

Spot on with your "winner's playlist", Nathan!

Although you forgot to include something from Radiohead...

Yeah, I don't get how we submit our list?? But no doubt it will be on the homepage soon. God, I hope you don't have to tweet your list! I'm out then.

Lol, yes Christina, I did forget Radiohead. It's funny; I had a mental blank when trying to think of their most-overplayed artist/clips. Probably because I try to block it out of my mind.

I do like some Radiohead, but yes they're rather overplayed.

I also didn't get enough Ostrayan JJJ pub rock in. I thought of adding some Grinspoon or Powderfinger.

Where does one post their list?

The most annoying thing is we don't actually know what rage have in their library?!?!?!

Very sad state of affairs, I WANT to WIN, if I don't I will CRY!

I better hurry up and start my band so I can actually program rage legit!

"I also didn't get enough Ostrayan JJJ pub rock in. I thought of adding some Grinspoon or Powderfinger"

You Am I and Jet seem to be other JJJ/Rage favourites...

^ Basically anything with:

1. guitars
2. a male lead singer who can barely sing
3. can be filed under 'alternative' or 'indie'
4. loved by JJJ/Richard Kingsmill
5. Australian - 2 bonus points
6. lack of commercial success but respected by 'serious' music 'critics'
7. that could be heard at the local pub

I always loved how Australian 'alternative' bands have such S H I T names such as You Am I, Powderfinger, Grinspoon, etc.

Oh dear, I need to eat my hat with this thread

I am so excited to see Voice of the Beehive on the Wildcard list. I hope it's not one of the 3 clips from their first album (which have aired twice in 2008 and 2009 anyway). I requested 'Monsters and Angels' on my Sepa-Rage list... still hoping to see it on Saturday morning, but if not, I'll settle for Saturday night (they would have to cut a couple from my list to fit it into an hour on Saturday morning). It'd be ace if they dug out another VOTB clip though (preferably 'Perfect Place').

The official blurb from Rage, which thankfully has The Monitors as CJ alluded to, is as follows:

"This week rage is scouring the vaults to see what unusual and underplayed gems have been lurking in the dust and debris. That’s right, the Wild Card Special is back!

For the fourth installation of Wild Card, rage has dusted off tunes by James, The Monitors , Billy Idol, Third Eye Blind, Voice Of The Beehive, Pet Shop Boys and Pat Benetar to name but a few, with plenty more in the bag to excite even the most hardcore of our obscure music followers!

What’s more, rage has found a bunch of clips that haven’t received enough attention over the last 5 or more years, so expect a sprinkle of more recent aces and oddities to be thrown into the mix, too!

As if that wasn’t enough, on Saturday morning from 10:00am rage will be airing the music selections of the 6 Degrees of Sepa-rage winner Nathan Robertson from Highton, VIC!

Wild Card Special #4 is on rage from 11:20pm on ABC1 Saturday night."

As much as I like Billy Idol and Pat Benatar I hope they have rarities of those artists and not just common clips that have not been shown for 5 years. Definitely looking forward to Nathan's hour.

I will also be interested to see the new series I Rock on ABC 2 on Monday, sounds interesting enough to tune in, a modern version of Sweet & Sour by the looks of it.

Unlike Sweet & Sour,I Rock will probably get a quicker DVD release.
Also,there seems to be some confusion about what time Wild Card 4 starts.I've been seeing 11.45pm advertised,but if Rage are saying 11.20pm-bring it on!
Fingers crossed for Nobody Told Me being shown at long last!

I am NOT impressed by rage playing clips from 5 years ago!

How fricking SLACK!

And Billy Idol and Pat Benatar aren't exactly what I was expecting!...

I LOVE both but I was hoping for more obscure 80s!

Tomorrow night's playlist is FINALLY up and you should all be warned about 4 songs that appear twice-

January-Pilot
Imagination-Helen Reddy
Think Of Laura-Christopher Cross
I'm Not Scared-Eighth Wonder

I've made Rage aware of these errors and with any luck,maybe White Lies by Jason & The Scorchers will feature as originally promised a couple of months ago.
White Lies indeed!

We got Nobody Told Me-YOU F'N BEAUTY!!!

Jason-you've done well again.You got No Clause 28,Stay With Me Till Dawn,Body Language,Guilty(I think you were chasing that Classix Nouveaux clip) and Forbidden Colours

For me,the likes of Working Class Man and Flashdance are common as muck and Glittering Prize was shown in January

Quibbles aside,there's still enough in Wild Card 4 for me to get a hold of(I've never heard or seen the clip for Ant Rap before-should be interesting)

^ They spotted the errors and have amended them now. I'm glad they replaced one of the 'I'm Not Scared's on Saturday night with Space's 'Begin Again' (one of the ones I wanted most on my playlist but doesn't appear on Saturday morning) - I wasn't expecting them to though.

I'm stoked that Morgan McVey's 'Looking Good Diving' & Kim Wilde's 'Can't Get Enough (Of Your Love)' are appearing in the wildcard special. I would have requested those myself if I knew they had them. It just goes to show - Rage *can* usually get hold of a video if they really try. Stacey Q & Sam Fox are case in point. I'm very pleased to see a lot of pop/80s in the Wildcard playlist.

I got 18 clips from my request list!

I am SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nathan,

You and I did VERY well this weekend coming on rage!

Nathan,

Did you add in The The instead of Sabrina?

Guess they only have Boys it seems....

The The was on my original list. I didn't think I heard Sabrina mentioned when I asked the woman from Rage to read out my playlist on the phone on Wednesday. A bit disappointing it didn't show up, but I can't complain overall. I have a reasonable copy from a Showbiz VHS, so all is not lost.

But the The The video, I just checked, has thin horizontal bars top and bottom, which means rage will probably enlarge it to full widescreen . I've asked a contact to catch it in analogue for me just in case... Though on the DVD they send me, it might be in a non-tampered with ratio hopefully.

I'm happy to get a good copy of Deee-Lite's 'Runaway'. It has a 'fax orgy' lyric in it though... will be interesting hearing that in the G (or is it PG?) timeslot

Nathan,

Your programming was FAB... BUT I wish ur name wasn't on each clip, no offense!

Hopefully you get a copy from rage with the video's clean...

The The and Neneh Cherry was SOOOOOOOOO good!

Yeah the name on the screen for each clip wasn't necessary. Once at the very start (over the rage ad thing?) would have been fine. But nonetheless, it was still funny to see my name on the screen. Glad they left my surname off though at least - that would have taken up another line. Yes, hopefully the DVD is logo/title etc. free and has The The's video in its original ratio...

Well last night was certainly great - I don't think there'd be too many people unhappy about it.

Lots of variety and most importantly RARE clips that everyone asked for.

Plenty of highlights including Boy George's No Clause 28, Liza Minelli, Classix Nouveaux and of course Eddie Murphy - the list could go on.

Although I was disapointed at some common clips appearing like Sam Fox etc, Rage did a pretty good job in unearthing some classics.

I was a bit perplexed as to why Double Dutch was aired given the Malcolm McLaren special next week and some of the aspect ratios went a bit funny towards the end but overall this was probably the best Wildcard Rage have done so far.

Look forward to the next one - I wish Wildcard was on every month!

Played some great clips.

Rage buggered up Morgan / McVey though, it's Looking Good DIVING, not driving, and one out of the Stock Aitken Waterman vault.

Blue Mercedes was also a highlight, their Rich & Famous album is great.

Getting a clean Sex Crime [1984] video was awesome as well.

Yes, i know!

Seeing "Looking Good DRIVING" was a fricking NIGHTMARE. I ain't complaining, I am very over the moon they played everything they did. But the Driving was a bummer :-(

One of THE best PWL tracks EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a good nights viewing. It was great to finally get Classix Nouveaux 'Guilty', as i bought there first two albums on CD's not to long ago. Would love to see 'Einstein a go go' by Landscape on Rage one day.

I have the video for Landscape's 'Einstein a go go' .

Isn't it just MARVELOUS!

I am SO happy rage FINALLY played Guilty by Classix Nouveaux, it's beyond HEAVEN!

There first 2 albums are AMAZING!. Never Again is my FAV track by Classix.

Actually, their 2rd album ain't to bad. I have it on vinyl, some cool stuff on there as well!