Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Green flashes on 22nd July 1979 Countdown.

Although they don't happen often, has anyone else noticed these green flashes during this episode of countdown? I'm just trying to pair down if it is a reception issue, or whether the original countdown tapes have withered.

Thanks
Mark

Re: Green flashes on 22nd July 1979 Countdown.

Yes I noticed this too. I just put it down to the fact it has been copied a few times.

Is this due to them copying the shows from the original tapes to DigitalBeta? From memory I noticed this too on a 13th March 1983 episode that went to air back in January 2006, and this was on my first digital set top box. At the time, I was taping stuff from SD set top box to HighGrade VHS tapes.

Sorry to be technical again guys..hehe..

The green spots are not a reception issue - that's just the result of that tape having its recorded signal fading slightly due to age and improper storage/handling. In audio tapes you hear it as a split second period of no sound (a dropout) but in video you see it as those flashes. The fault isn't within the digibeta's though, it's there because the original tape when transferred had those problems appear and of course they made their way to the digibeta dub.

It's equivalent to the days of when your Hi Fi Stereo VHS VCR would lose the stereo audio track momentarily when playing back a tape.

Mark Chris
Is this due to them copying the shows from the original tapes to DigitalBeta? From memory I noticed this too on a 13th March 1983 episode that went to air back in January 2006, and this was on my first digital set top box. At the time, I was taping stuff from SD set top box to HighGrade VHS tapes.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, it's just faults appearing on the original tapes while they are being copied to digibeta. There's a 1980 episode with Cold Chisel's "My baby" halfway through and those green patches appear on that too.

Thanks guys for the response, this has been a great relief, the sutherland area of Sydney is plagued with reception issues with the digital telecasting.

I'm glad to know that it's the original tapes, and not my reception.