Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Jan 30 2010

ok not the official full length blurb, but a preview on the Rage site for the final week of retro:

For the last week of rage goes retro you are in for a real treat with lots of rarities from the archives, many not seen since they were originally aired! rage will be playing an episode of ‘Music Around Us: Pop Music’ from 1977, a Countdown Summer special ‘Studio 31’ from 1983 featuring loads of live performances from Kiss, Cougar, Village People, Adam & The Ants, Cure and more, as well as an episode of Countdown from 84, a 10.30 Slot from 2000 and a Rock Arena from 1985

The dreaded 10.30 Slot sadly makes an appearance - and this is meant to be retro?

Will be interesting to see the full details, but it appears this week will in some cases be just as disapointing as the previous weeks....

Re: Rage Jan 30 2010

Patrick,

Where are you finding this info?

I have refreshed all day and there is no sign of any info.

Ah dear, ANOTHER 10:30 Slot ? ! ? !

But WHY???????

And from the info you just posted, it seems ONLY 2 Countdown's??????

I looked again on rage and under January 30, it still has the 23rd?

I don't get rage, f u c k i n g nightmares man

Studio 31 is actually from 1982 - Feb 3 to be precise.

I am certainly looking forward to the 1984 Countdown if it is any of the following I would be happy:
March 4 (Elton John with Dear Enemy and Sandii & The Sunsetz live),
June 3 (Eurogliders live + Mi-Sex video 5 o'Clock),
Aug 19 (David Reyne/Takeaways),
Aug 26 (QED and Dropbears live),
Dec 2 (Models, Electric Pandas, Non Stop Dancers and Ganggajang live + Duran Duran, Sade and Alison Moyet interviews)

I suspect however that it is Sept 2 Jacksons Victory Dance competition that the ABC have obtained a TV recording of, as they no longer had it in their archives. If it is then the picture quality will be a bit down but I have no idea what is on that besides some dance competition.

As long as the 1985 Rock Arena episode is not Ganggajang again I will be happy - great to see Suzanne Dowling one last time.

The 1977 Pop Music item will be interesting enough to watch, unless they have the same sterile experts analyzing it as the New Wave one a few weeks back.

I wish the 10:30 slot could actually be played at 10:30 - then it wouldn't interfere with Retro.

Hope there are a couple of little goodies among them.

I can't find the info either but thanks for the brief insight Patrick.

I SOOOOOOOOO don't want the Victory Dance Comp!

Ahhh, I found the post from rage. 10:30 Slot AGAIN is just pure H E L L

Aside from the dreadful 10.30 Slot it all looks pretty good.

The Music Around Us 1977 special looks good. Also happy with both the summer special Countdown and an 84 ep. Rock Arena is always great. Throw in some Flashez and it's a great night post 10.30 Slot.

If only we could just have Countdown era shows I'm beginning to loathe the retro nights starting with all that crap,just shove them at the end of the night so we can ignore them!

I AM N O T HAPPY WITH ONLY 2 COUNTDOWN'S!!!!!

WHY ONLY 2 ??????

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the only thing I could find about this Saturday on the Rage site - I was desperate for any info as Rage have been VERY slow this week!

When the full blurb gets in we'll know the exact details...although I'm devastated the 10.30 Slot is on again - have we not suffered enough???

IF rage are going to play 90s 00s CRAP then I would think they would play
S H I T COVERY instead opf 10:20 Slot, go figure...

I really thought rage would have gone TOTALLY retro this last weekend with HEAPS of Countdown and Countdown Revolution and Rock Arena.

I can't believe how many more people are asking for things like Countdown Revolution, The Factory and Beat Box BUT rage insist to go all 90s/00s Alternative with 10:30 Slot!

They are such F U C K E R S !

Bloody hell, another 10:30 Should-Be-Shot

Rage's logic defies me.

Here is the line-up – sadly only 2 Countdowns – March 4 1984 plus the Studio 31 Special. The Rock Arena features a Do Re Mi Special – and little wonder they are showing the “Music Around Us” Special as it features the Rage Team’s all time favourite band The Birthday Party!! Plenty of moronic drivel to ignore there.
At least the March 4 Countdown is an unseen one. As for 10:30 slot, well it looks as if it will be 1.25am before anything decent starts as it is a late start at 11.55 this Saturday night. Unfortunately Rage has had plenty of good feedback from the Twitter Generation concerning the showing of this sort of material so I would expect it to become permanent in future retro months. You have to remember, most of Rages year round audience love this stuff and they don’t use guestbooks to post messages any more – that is old hat – they use SMS, texting and Twitter to engage with like-minded Rage staff. Get used to it people – the way of the future. Anyway, here is the line-up -

rage goes retro ends with a bang this weekend with a Countdown episode from March 1984, hosted by Molly and Elton John, and featuring a segment on Michael Jackson. Included in this episode are studio performances by Dear Enemy, Sandii and the Sunsets and Elton John and video clips:

Queen 'Radio Ga Ga'
Hall & Oates 'Say It Isn't So' And Iv Re Music And Touring
Olivia Newton John 'Desperate Times'
Nena '99 Luft Balloons'
Billy Idol 'Rebel Yell'
Duran Duran 'New Moon On Monday'
Van Halen 'Jump'
Cyndi Lauper 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun'
Michael Wilder 'Break My Stride'
Michael Jackson 'Thriller'
Inxs 'Original Sin'
The Cure 'Love Cats'
Parton/Rogers 'Islands In The Stream'
Culture Club 'Victims'
Queen 'Radio Ga Ga'
Mondo Rock 'Come Said The Boy'
Pat Benatar 'Love Is A Battlefield'

Also showing is a not-to-be-missed episode of Countdown’s summer special Studio 31 from 1983, featuring interviews with Barry Humphries and Dame Edna and an array of live in the studio performances including:

Adam & The Ants ‘Antmusic’
Barry Humphries and Dame Edna ‘Every Mother Needs A Boy Like Elton’
Cheap Trick ‘I Want You To Want Me’
Cure ‘Primary’
Elton John ‘Song For Guy’
Foreigner ‘Cold As Ice’
Hall & Oates ‘Kiss On My List’
Ian Dury & The Blockheads ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’
John Cougar Mellencamp ‘I Need A Lover’
Kiss ‘Talk To Me’
Police ‘Walking On The Moon’
Ramones ‘Rock & Roll Highschool’
Smokie ‘Do It To Me’
Status Quo ‘Rockers Rollin'’

Adding to the excitement is a 10.30 Slot episode The Best of 2000 featuring crazy antics by Shaolin Kung Fu Monks and acro-act Legs On The Wall and some great live performances by noughties bands:

Regurgitator 'Freshmint'
Muse 'Uno'
Conway 'Radio Loves This'
Pernice And Orwell 'Hundred Dollar Pocket’
Spiderbait 'Scenester'
Kusus Ensemble 'Acha Agbekor'
Dirty Three 'I Really Should've Gone Out Last Night'
Rollins Band 'Illumination'
Wicked Beat Sound System 'I Don't Wanna Know'
Tonic 'Mean To Me'
Whitlams 'Time'
Hayes 'You Made Me Hard'
Teateagles 'Like No Other'
Walker And Davies 'Second Hand Luck'
Tumbleweed 'Planet Of The Weeds'
Splendid 'Come Clean'
Moses O'jah 'Yele Yele'

Suzanne Dowling introduces the Sydney Band Do Re Mi who perform live in a July 1985 episode of Rock Arena, and added to the mix are video clips by Dire Straits, Yello and Aretha Franklin:

Do Re Mi 'Valentine’s Day'
Do Re Mi I 'Cuttlefish Beach'
Do Re Mi 'Idiot Grin'
Do Re Mi 'Racing To Zero'
Do Re Mi 'New Taboos'
Do Re Mi 'Warnings Moving Clockwise'
Do Re Mi 'Everything's Over'
Do Re Mi 'Man Overboard'
Do Re Mi ‘1000 Mouths’
Yello ‘Vicious Games’
Stanley Clarke 'Born In The USA'
Dire Straits 'Money For Nothing'
Paul Young 'Tomb O Memories'
Aretha Franklin 'Freeway Of Love'

To top off this great mix of retro goodness, rage is also playing an episode of Music Around Us from December 1977 which follows the origins, present and future predictions of the ‘Pop Music’ phenomenon; catch this to see how we viewed the world of pop in the seventies!

This episode also features interviews with academics and members of The Birthday Party to name but a few, live performances by Fleetwood Mac and Ayers Rock, video clips by The Sex Pistols and much more!

rage goes retro starts at 11:55pm this Saturday on ABC1.

Don't forget to tune in for a teaser hour from 10am with tracks by Bonnie Tyler, Richard Marx, Paula Abdul and Laura Branigan, it will be sure to get you in the mood for the retro final later in the evening!

If that's the best of 2000 it says it all.

Well that would exclude me then as I don't Twitter anything - I prefer to be more in-depth with my praise or critcisms...or is that old fashioned these days??

Anyway, the list looks like a let down which is a reflection of this year's Retro season - it would seem what Rage promised didn't reflect in what they actually showed.

Plus Rage have been caught out telling fibs - the 10.30 Slot ep is a 'Best of 2000' - and yet using the moderator's own words in the Guestbook 'anything more than 10 years is considered Retro'. Well last time I looked the end of 2000 was LESS than 10 years ago and yet they're playing it - am I missing something here?

If this is the standard for future Retro years then that's a bit depressing - especially considering there are still about 180 Countdown eps to be shown.

Mmmm, the countdowns dont look too exciting to me.

Songs and clips/performances that I am quite familiar with.

Rock Arena will be good, as I liked Do Re Mi/Deborah Conway.

Complete S H I T !

I am happy about the 1984 Countdown but overall it is C R A P !

What a bad ending to a BAD January format.

Terrible, I really give up on rage ...

What's even sadder about this weekend's playlist is that quite a few clips on the Countdown/Rock Arena episodes have already been aired this retro month!

Queen 'Radio Ga Ga'
Nena '99 Luft Balloons'
Billy Idol 'Rebel Yell'
Mondo Rock 'Come Said The Boy'
Pat Benatar 'Love Is A Battlefield'
Do Re Mi 'Man Overboard'
Aretha Franklin 'Freeway Of Love'

I think Van Halen 'Jump' & The Cure 'The Love Cats' also appeared.

And we've already had a 'live' performances of Cyndi Lauper 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun'.

This has to be the most crap, poorly thought-out retro month in memory since I've been watching them. And so many repeats! Within the same month!

They've even found yet another excuse to squeeze bloomin' Nick Crapve on again. Bloody hell.

And yes, no doubt Rage have received lots of praise on their stupid twitter site from Y-Gen fans of Recovery/10:30 Slot.

Their most recent post asking if Toto's 'Hold the Line' is too daggy to air says it all. Isn't the whole point of retro month to bring out some of the 'daggy' stuff that is never otherwise seen on Rage?

Well this is the only glimmer of hope I have for this weekend (which I didn't see before):

'Don't forget to tune in for a teaser hour from 10am with tracks by Bonnie Tyler, Richard Marx, Paula Abdul and Laura Branigan, it will be sure to get you in the mood for the retro final later in the evening!'

I hope the Laura Branigan clip isn't just 'Gloria' again... hopefully it will be Self Control. And I hope the Bonnie Tyler clip isn't just the Countdown performance again of 'Total Eclipse of the Heart', even though I have the proper music video on an official DVD.

don't think rage are capable of playing anything than Gloria and Total Eclipse from both Laura and Bonnie. They are to dumb to even know anything else!

> don't think rage are capable of playing anything than
> Gloria and Total Eclipse from both Laura and Bonnie.
> They are to dumb to even know anything else!

TOUCHDOWN

So true, unfortunately

What I don't understand is the fact they've found and continue to find all this wonderful material, then it all gets transferred so the ABC can actually play said material - and then it just gets left on the shelf. I mean, what the...? So much effort in finding and transferring the material, then it just gets left there. Let alone the fact they now have 3 channels available to them with one going off air at 9pm each night. Sorry. With 3 channels, finding time to broadcast these gems should be easy.

Almost all the stuff seems it's all being transferred to digital betacam, a digital tape format - prone to dropouts and digital errors. I really hope with all this transferring that the tapes won't be getting errors all over the place before we have a chance to see them!

On the positive side, I have wanted rage to play the 1984 Countdown episode with Sandii live in the studio and Dear Enemy. Good episode...

If rage played 3 Countdown's this weekend the night would have been much better. Least I have another 1984 Countdown which is a good one to add to my collection.

A whole 12 months till more Countdown, how depressing.

Actually, I am starting to think that January's in the future will feature less and less Countdown and more 90s and 00s S H I T ...

Um.... HELLO!

Why hasn't rage put up the Playlists yet at 3:52 PM?????

I f u c k i n g hate there slowness this week. D i c k h e a d s!

I don't think they're doing it deliberately Jason...someone might be sick this week or on leave. They're ridiculously under-resourced as it is...yes they're running a bit later than usual but do they really deserve that ? Personally I don't think so.

I think they do deserve it.

It is 4:47 and STILL no Playlist!

I know for a fact that it doesen't take long to upload a Playlist they would have had planned for days.

It it totally unacceptable!

Okay, FINALLY up on there.

Um now.... to open the show is Duran Duran with "My Own Way" ?

Is this going to be the Countdown studio performance??????? Hmmmmm.....
I am very intrigued by this!

I don't mean to whinge BUT the 1984 Countdown starting at 5:15, are they serious ?

They're up. Looks like a late night for you Jason

I know,

Why one earth rage would play 10:30 S L O P at 3:30 am and Countdown at bloody 5:15 is beyond me.

It is totally ridiculous that we have to wait till 5:15 for the Highlight of the night... Ah dear...

There are actually some nice surprises like Gary Glitter interview, Melbourne Nightlife in the 70s and something on Mods... Hmmmm ***

Yeah. Most of the proper retro stuff has been quite good.

Do you think Rage beginning Saturday night's program with Duran Duran's 'My Own Way' followed by Studio 31 is a barb at Jason/others who have complained about Rage not starting with Countdown this year?

I KNEW the Laura Branigan track would be 'Gloria' yet again.

I know...

Such a pity that the Laura video isn't "Self Control" or "Solitare"
ARGH !

Sadly 'imagination' has been missing in action this year with dull programs replacing exciting ones.

The GTK bits look interesting and the Countdowns will be good of course.

But it's a great shame that more of those couldn't have been shown due to the 10.30 Slot, Recovery etc- shows which I've constantly said are NOT retro material. I find it hard to believe people have actually demanded to see them - whether via Twitter or elsewhere - taste is in the eye of the beholder it seems!

Never mind - I'll get my NO Recovery, NO 10.30 Slot and NO Dylan Lewis/Nick Cave email ready for next year.....

23:55pm
DURAN DURAN My Own Way (EMI)
COUNTDOWN Countdown Special - Studio 31 (1983) (ABC)
FRANK ZAPPA Interview With Frank Zappa (ABC)

1:00am
ROCK ARENA Do Re Mi Special - July 30th, 1985 (ABC)
GTK Interview With Gary Glitter (ABC)
GTK Vox Pops On Melbourne Night Life (ABC)
FUNKY ROAD Million Dollar Bill featuring Billy Thorpe (ABC)

2:30am
WEEKEND MAGAZINE News Story On The Mod's Nod (ABC)
GTK Cannabis Segment (ABC)

3:00am
GTK Interview with the Easybeats (ABC)
MUSIC AROUND US Pop Music (ABC)

3:30am
THE 10.30 SLOT Best of 2000 (ABC)

5:00am
SEVERED HEADS - live on Rock Arena Petrol (ABC)
COUNTDOWN March 4th, 1984 (ABC)
STATUS QUO Roll Over Lay Down (ABC)
MOTHER EARTH featuring RENEE GEYER Country Road (ABC)

I'm EXTREMELY happy that retro night is not starting with some 90's / 2000's rubbish but instead with a DD clip and a Countdown

The nights starting off with these horrible shows was my major gripe this year and it's been fixed with the 10.30 Slop going to 3.30. Although I'd much prefer it go to 4.30 with the 1984 Countdown at 3.30

The Weekend Magazine story and the GTK segment on Melbourne nightlife look particularly interesting.

The only downer up to 3.30 is the Frank Zappa interview ugh

No Flashez but I suppose we've had plenty of clips and two full eps already. But still with nearly 500 in the vaults a few more would have been good.

Not sure if this is the episode of Music Around Us that they will be showing but it seems to fit the description:

ID: 608047 - MUSIC AROUND US - SEGMENT - POP MUSIC

duration: 40.38
summary: MUSIC AROUND US EPISODE 'POP MUSIC' DOCUMENTARY RE ORIGINS, PRESENT STATE AND PREDICTIONS FOR FUTURE OF POP MUSIC

personalities: VICKI MOLLOY, ABC REPORTER;VIRGINIA DUIGAN, ABC REPORTER;PAUL DAINTY, MUSIC PROMOTER;JEFF DRESSING, LECTURER IN JAZZ;FLEETWOOD MAC, BAND;DEANE WELLS, TUTOR IN PHILOSOPHY;SUE MATTHEWS, ROCK CRITIC;IAN OLSEN, MEMBER OF BAND TRASH;ROWLAND HOWARD, MEMBER OF BAND TRASH;THE SEX PISTOLS, BAND;GEORGE DREYFEUS, CLASSICAL COMPOSER;AYRES ROCK, BAND;CHRIS BROWN, SINGER, AYRES ROCK;RED SYMONS, FORMER SKYHOOKS MEMBER;? RICHARDS, PROPRIETOR, THE TIGER ROOM;ROD STORER, PATRON AT THE TIGER ROOM

shotlist: MOLLOY, INC FLICKS THROUGH ROLLING STONE BOOK HISTORY OF ROCK;REPORTER IV'S DAINTY RE LIFESPAN OF ACTS AND PROMOTERS;MCU IV PRESSING RE HISTORY & ORIGIN OF ROCK, PIANO'S INFLUENCE ON ROCK;FF#1 MUSIC VIDEO CLIP FLEETWOOD MAC PERFORM DON'T STOP THINKING ABOUT TOMORROW LIVE;MCU IV PRESSING RE ROCK DESCENDED DIRECTLY FROM RHYTHM AND BLUES, PRESSING DEMONSTRATES VARIOUS PIANO BASS LINES ON PIANO;FF#1 MUSIC VIDEO CLIP FLEETWOOD MAC PERFORM 'DON'T STOP THINKING ABOUT TOMORROW';MOLLOY;MCU IV WELLS RE POP IS A CULT, WAY FOR YOUNG PEOPLE TO EXPRESS REBELLIOUS SPIRIT, FIND SENSE OF IDENTITY;MCU IV DAINTY RE CYCLES OF ROCK MUSIC;FF#2 MUSIC VIDEO CLIP EXCERPT, THE SEX PISTOLS PERFORM ANARCHY IN THE UK;MCU IV MATTHEWS RE PUNK CREATED BY IMAGE MAKERS IN MEDIA, PUNK MOVEMENT A RESPONSE TO SOCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES;FF#2 MUSIC VIDEO CLIP EXCERPT, THE SEX PISTOLS PERFORM ANARCHY IN THE UK;WS EXT PUNK SHOP IN MELBOURNE CALLED TRASH;MCU IV OLSEN RE PUNK SCENE AMATEURISH IN AUSTRALIA, CLASSICAL COMPOSERS WHO HE ADMIRES;MCU IV MATTHEWS RE PUNK IMPLIES DESIRE FOR SOMETHING POSITIVE, AUSTRALIA'S SOCIAL SITUATION DIFFERENT FROM UK;MCU IV HOWARD RE PUNK MUSIC AND HIS OWN NEW WAVE BAND TRASH AND NAMES OF HIS SONGS;WS YOUTHS IN PUNK AND NEW WAVE CLOTHES WALK ALONG STREET;MCU IV OLSEN AND HOWARD RE SONG TITLES, INSTRUMENTS IN BAND;FF#2 MUSIC VIDEO CLIP EXCERPT THE SEX PISTOLS PERFORM ANARCHY IN THE UK;MOLLOY AT ROCKARENA CONCERT;MCU IV DAINTY RE ROLE OF PROMOTER IS TO FOLLOW TRENDS;MCU IV PRESSING RE WIRING DEVICES USED TO MEASURE RESPONSES TO MUSIC;MOLLOY;MCU IV DREYFEUS RE HAPPY BEING SERIOUS MUSICIAN;MCU IV MATTHEWS RE SELF DESTRUCTIVE DISPOSITION OF ROCK STARS;MCU IV DREYFEUS RE POP MUSIC REFLECTS WORLD OF TODAY;MCU IV MATHEWS RE POP MUSIC NOT TRITE BECAUSE IT IS ACCESSIBLE, CAN ACCOMMODATE ALL TYPES OF MUSIC, TODAY'S GENERATION GROWN UP IN ELECTRONIC AGE;FF#1 MUSIC VIDEO CLIP EXCERPT FLEETWOOD MAC PERFORM 'DREAMS';MCU IV DREYFEUS RE POP MUSIC OUTRAGEOUS;RTC;FF#3 VS AYRES ROCK PERFORM AT THE TIGER ROOM, MELBOURNE;MCU IV BROWN RE LIFE DIDN'T CHANGE WHEN BECAME ROCK SINGER;MCU IV SYMONS RE SOME PERFORMERS CAN'T SEPARATE PERFORMANCE ROLE FROM ROLE IN LIFE;MCU IV BROWN RE NOISE LEVELS;MCU IV SYMONS RE HEARING TESTS;FF#3 VS AYRES ROCK PERFORM IN TIGER ROOM;MCU IV RICHARDS RE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE TO SUPPORT ROCK INDUSTRY IN AUSTRALIA;MCU IV STORER RE SPENDS MONEY WATCHING BANDS, BUYING RECORDS;MCU IV BROWN RE VALUE OF;MCU IV STORER RE;MCU IV SYMONS RE LYRICS NOT ESSENTIAL;FF#3 WS AYRES ROCK PERFORM AT THE TIGER ROOM;MCU IV MATTHEWS RE PERMANENCE AND VALUE OF ROCK, SPONTANEOUS EXPRESSION;FF#1 WS MUSIC VIDEO CLIP FLEETWOOD MAC PEFORM DREAMS

I wish they had swapped the 2 Countdowns around. The 4/3/84 episode would have been awesome to kick things off. I think 'Studio 31' is a bit lame for a Coundown episode - a bit like screening another Countdown Awards...and why have they got the date wrong again for 'Studio 31' ?!?!?

It looks like in 2010 we have to start twittering and texting rage, cause I ain't gonna let Gen Y take over retro month in the years to come. Long Live Countdown and a ****load more episodes to come!

Oh yeah, Do Re Mi live on Rock Arena sounds great and am sure it will be.

Imagine in years to come, if they did a 'Recovery Spectacular' concert....god help us!

Well now, we started of with My Own Way Countdown performance. I certain someone should be very happy with that.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

rage are very nice to remember to play Duran for me. Very pleased!

AMAZING!

LOL sitting here at the puter with my back to the puter.

Shaun Cassidy just came on and I thought for all the world it sounded like Bob Downe !

Sitting here having a giggle now !

Shouldn't people's requests/comments in Rage's message board count more than what any in Twitter does?

You would think so,John but it would appear that the comments/suggestions on Twitter are now increasingly becoming higher priority to them than those on the Rage messageboard!

Sadly a sign of the times and also a reflection on the fact that there seems to have been a significant "changing of the guard" at Rage HQ,with a majority of younger staff replacing many of the older,original team.

This probably also explains their perserverance in playing so much Recovery and 10.30 slot this January, at the expense of Countdown, Beatbox and other older shows...