Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
COUNTDOWN March 20th, 1983 = WOW

Just finished not long ago and all I can say is WOW!...

Such a FANTASTIC Episode.

The Countdown made clip for "Whispering Your Name" from Ignatius and the Countdow set was FLAWLESS, SUBLIME and PERFECT *****

Re: COUNTDOWN March 20th, 1983 = WOW

That was a great episode and a brilliant clip for Whispering Your Name - much better than the official clip.

Loved the 1983 ep for sure - full of great tracks and Mr. Jones at his snide best - his quote on the US being the 'land of the rising gun' was great!

I should say I enjoyed the 1979 ep as well - the Donna Summer Hot Stuff segment was fantastic - with some interesting moves on display....

And how can I forget Ms Victoria Nicolls? Even though I wasn't too impressed by her garish green overalls she provided a touch of camp that you could not help but be amused by.

Molly's cardigan in that ep didn't look too bad - 'unique' would be a word for it!

As for Daryl Cotton...well I'm afraid I remember him for hosting that kids show during the 80's with Marty Monster than his singing, which is a bit sad really....

All up 3 great Countdown episodes - a very enjoyable night (apart from 'you know what' at the start!)

What ever happened to the Ignatius Jones solo album? It would have been a great listen. I have both 7" and 12" versions of his solo songs.

The computer set on this Episode was FLAWLESS!

The girl with the mo hawk on Whispering Your Name and Ignatius going sick in this video was THE best!

Much better than the real video.

I ADORED this Episode, so AMAZING!

And Ignatius with his Tears For Fears New Romantic "Mad World" dancing was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW....

And yes Patrick, 1979 bits were great!

I loved the same bits you did. I actually realized that I do have the 1979 Episode in timer code as well.

Such GREAT Countdown Episodes this January I MUST say. If the show was formatted better it would have been THE best January... Ah well .

Haven't watched the 1983 episode yet but LOVED the 1979 episode.

The interview with Victoria Nicolls was awesome with a few mentions of The Restless Years as expected. I never took much notice of her in TRY but she was quite the cutie! Her song wasn't too bad either,a pity she didn't continue with the music career.

XTC were great as well although the song wasn't one of their best.

I noticed Ignatius seemed particularly scathing about Men At Work - and during the bit where Molly interviewed Greg Ham over the phone was it just me or did Greg sound really arrogant about winning the Grammy??

Yes Jason I loved seeing Ignatius do his Tears for Fears 'Roland dance' - I consider that revenge for Roland's rudeness on the 85 Countdown a few weeks ago!

I also loved seeing the Monte Video clip - one of my fave tacky clips, a classic.

I noticed no-one's picked up on Paul McCartney not being yanked out of the July 1979 episode,unlike last year from the August 1982 episode where Take It Away was removed completely.

I'm definately very grateful none of the Countdown eps have been cut this year(from what I can tell).

I think there were 2 eps cut last year so to squeeze as many shows in one night - I know that August 1981 ep hosted by Dave Mason from the Reels was definately cut as well with the Top 10 removed entirely.

So given Paul McCartney wasn't featured in that Top 10 anyway, I assume it was more to do with Rage getting the scissors out than anything to do with Mr McCartney.

Yes, the Old Siam Sir filmclip was brilliant. It wasn't included in the 2001 Beatles Special although it was included in the 1988 special.

There was a brief section of it in the infamous 8 July 79 episode when Izzy went off his face.

Back to the Egg is one of my favourite albums of all time. I think that the 1978-1980 version of Wings was by far the best.

I like a lot of McCartney's tunes - many of his songs post-Beatles were quite experimental and still stand the test of time very well I think.

Back to the Egg was a great album - my fave song from that one is 'Goodnight Tonight'. A really interesting song structure-wise with a lot of musical influences within - jazz, techno, salsa, etc. The video for it is fantastic too - I remember watching it several times on Countdown and other shows of the era....the re-worked version of it on his latest Greatest Hits dvd is great too - plus you get 2 versions of it.

Another track I love is Band on the Run - such an unusual song - almost 3 songs in 1 really. It wouldn't surprise me if in fact it originally was 3 songs and McCartney decided to lump them together. Either way it worked very well.

I could drone on about McCartney for ages - but I think his work after the Beatles has been vastly under-rated and deserves their place in history.

It has been under-rated somewhat but when your work is compared to The Beatles it's always going to be tough!

Personally I prefer Maccas more whimsical beatle-esque songs like Uncle Albert but much of the Wings era stuff is excellent although without Lennons influence there is some dreck in there.

1985 is one of my favorites from the Band On The Run album.

Patrick
I'm definately very grateful none of the Countdown eps have been cut this year(from what I can tell).

I think there were 2 eps cut last year so to squeeze as many shows in one night - I know that August 1981 ep hosted by Dave Mason from the Reels was definately cut as well with the Top 10 removed entirely.

So given Paul McCartney wasn't featured in that Top 10 anyway, I assume it was more to do with Rage getting the scissors out than anything to do with Mr McCartney.

Both the Wings clip and Top 10 (which did feature a Paul McCartney clip excerpt) from the Countdown shows of last Summer were cut because of a record-company embargo placed on showing any Beatles/Post Beatles material. The licensing fees may have been prohibitive?

Moving on to late last year, the embargo was mysteriously lifted around the time the new set of Beatles re-issue Mono & Stereo CD's hit the market. A few Beatles clips started immediately appearing on some of the Rage guest slots and specials.

Jason "The Moderator"
The computer set on this Episode was FLAWLESS!

The girl with the mo hawk on Whispering Your Name and Ignatius going sick in this video was THE best!

Much better than the real video.

I ADORED this Episode, so AMAZING!

And Ignatius with his Tears For Fears New Romantic "Mad World" dancing was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW....

And yes Patrick, 1979 bits were great!

I loved the same bits you did. I actually realized that I do have the 1979 Episode in timer code as well.

Such GREAT Countdown Episodes this January I MUST say. If the show was formatted better it would have been THE best January... Ah well .

I totally agree - a brilliant episode. And what a host Ignatius Jones was - superb!! I under-estimated just how good he was!!

Was this the last Countdown that Ian Meldrum was 'hat free' until the last one in 1987?

Funny you should bring that up RJ as I was wondering which episode it was that Molly started wearing the hat full time.

I thought Molly had the hat going permanently from mid to late '82 so I was surprised to see him without it in that early '83 episode last week.

The hat was a permanent fixture in the latter half of '83.

Thanks Michael. I thought I also saw Ian Meldrum hatless in an early 1983 episode (hosted by James Reyne) as well.

Ah yes, the 27/2/83 episode. The first episode for 1983. I wonder why Countdown started so late that year? I am thinking maybe because of the bush fires and Ash Wednesday?

The only reason apart from the Ash Wednesday Bushfires is if by chance ABC regional was covering the 1982-83 Cricket season that year.