Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horror Movie Clip from National Awards 1975?

I'm just curious about this footage. Has it been shown before? Also on teh opening credits before the Skyhooks performed Horror Movie, there were some little clips of acts that appeared to be from Countdown. Was this 'new' material not shown since it was originally aired.

I'm not sure if I could identify everybody at the start of that clip. There was ACDC and Farnham and so on, but there was also what appeared to be a girl group (?).

And what about that dork hosting the show? Who on earth was that?

Re: Horror Movie Clip from National Awards 1975?

Hi there,

This was a combination of two segments from the 1975 National Music Industry Awards broadcast (a music awards ceremony that was conducted around the time of the Moomba Festival).

I trawled through quite a few tapes for Retro Month this year (& presented this for consideration for broadcast), one of which was this awards ceremony show. The Skyhooks performance of 'Horror Movie' performed at the awards ranks as one of my personal favourites, easily the most 'out there' appearance by the band at the height of their success (or nearabouts)...I don't believe that this clip has been seen in full since its original broadcast.

On the same tape, just before the Skyhooks appeared, was something that caught my eye, a montage of clips that included material from the first (wiped) series of Countdown, this was a promo of sorts, slotted in between segments on the music awards program. Amongst the snippets you'll see from this montage are the Moir Sisters, Daddy Cool, Kush (featuring Jeff Duff), John[ny] Farnham and the best part is that there is a shot of Bon Scott in what is believed to be his first televised appearance with AC DC, making this footage truly historic. The bulk of these clips have not been seen since this broadcast.

cheers,
John ABC TV

Hopefully Rage will play the complete awards show soon

Great work otherjohn
Your delving into the ABC archives is really appreciated as we have seen some gems.
How is the 1978 Adelaide Festival Countdown coming along - have you managed to source a better audio track.

I totally agree OtherJohn - this is a fantastic clip of Skyhooks - the best clip of them I have ever seen -awesome stuff!!

And to think I was expecting to see the same old Countdown luna park "Horror Movie" when tuning in to the 10.00am retro segment yesterday.

This entire special is a MUST for Rage retro month - there must be other unique music performances from 1974/75 on the show as well. And the snippets of missing Countdowns!!

OtherJohn or GuruBob - do you have the line-up for the rest of this special?

Great work and what a treat it was to see this - well done - fantastic work OtherJohn - we cannot thank you enough (and to the Rage team for including it of course)

YES,

I liked the Horror Movie performance rage played on Saturday morning. It wea BLISS!

I think I may have to put in several requests for this awards show

Makes you wonder what other gems are lurking in the ABC archives.

OMG after I picked my jaw up off the ground...and got back on my chair, I sat there and watched through the intro bit several times...I was absolutely gobsmacked by what I saw. Incredibly precious...and yet another reminder of how much beautiful historic stuff was destroyed

The Skyhooks performance was equally jaw-dropping. I don't know what else is included on the show overall but from the small glimpse we saw of it, it looks like perfect and essential viewing for retro month. Could it be planned as a surprise in the final weekend ? I hope so...it looks truly amazing !

Many thanks to otherjohn for the info and for tracking this gem down...just awesome !

I would also like to give thanks for including that first clip as part of the "Rage" retro clips yesterday morning. What a treat for many of us. Would be exciting and fantastic if we could see complete shows from this period or otherwise any clips that are in existence still the next best thing. As I too admire our Australian music industry I would be happy to see any act although my particular interest is in Australian females from what I saw on the opening segment Debbie Byrne, Moir Sisters, Renee Geyer & Denise Drysdale (Ding Dong).

Please take this request into serious consideration as many on this forum would be very greatful in seeing these shows again. I can vaguely remember these award shows although I was only very small at that time. With Australia Day coming up this Tuesday any of these shows would fit very nicely in the final Saturday night "Rage" retro programming schedule.

Thank you again for including the "Skyhooks" Horror Movie clip. Wonderful stuff and very much appreciated by the many of us on here.

Just watched the 1975 Skyhooks properly now. I glimpsed through it yesterday.

WOW, that intro was RARE... And in GREAT condition... Where did it come from?... I am not a HUGE mid 70s Countdown lover BUT these Awards look GREAT!

VERY good for archival sake.

Skyhooks performance is just MAGNIFICENT! ... They so K I C K A S S on horrid Sherbet!

It was basically just an awards show, a bit like watching the Academy Awards as there are only a couple of performances and not as interesting as the Countdown Awards of the 80's.

1. ID: 272064 - NATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS 1975 - PROGRAM

recording date: 28-Feb-1975
duration: 52.20
summary: NATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS 1975. THIS PROGRAM WAS TELECAST LIVE FROM THE HILTON HOTEL. BRIAN MAY, THE ABC SHOW BAND, SKYHOOKS AND RENEE GEYER APPEARED. COMPERED BY KEN SPARKES

personalities: KEN SPARKES, COMPERE;LINDA GEORGE, SINGER;ROSS D WYLIE, SINGER/ MUSIC PROGRAM COMPERE;COLLEEN HEWETT, SINGER;MAC COCKER, 2JJ RADIO ANNOUNCER;ALEXIS KORNER,BLUES MUSICIAN;FREDDIE KING, BLUES MUSICIAN;JUDY STONE, SINGER;KERRIE BIDDELL, SINGER;ISSY DYE, SINGER/ENTERTAINER;JON ENGLISH, SINGER;IAN MCRAE, RADIO ANNOUNCER;JOHN O'DONNELL, RADIO ANNOUNCER;EDWARD WOODWARD, ACTOR;MICHAEL GUDINSKI, MUSHROOM RECORDS MANAGER/BAND MANAGER;BRIAN MAY, ABC SHOW BAND LEADER;MICHAEL LEUNIG, CARTOONIST/ARTIST

shotlist: 00.02 PAN FROM PEOPLE SITTING AT TABLE TO CENTRE STAGE;00.21 VS KEN SPARKES WELCOMES AUDIENCE AND VIEWERS TO THE NATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS, INTROS;00.58 VS PROG TITLE, ABC SHOW BAND PERFORM 'THEME FROM RUSH', SECURITY FIRM ARRIVE WITH A STEEL BOX CONTAINING AWARD WINNERS NAMES;02.56 VS SPARKES WELCOMES THE PRESIDENT OF THE MOOMBA COMMITTEE THE LORD MAYOR CR RONALD J WALKER (RON WALKER);04.00 VS AWARD FOR BEST COUNTRY ALBUM, PRESENTED BY LINDA GEORGE TO THE DINGOES SELF TITLED ALBUM, AWARD ACCEPTED BY MICHAEL GUDINSKI;05.59 VS AWARD FOR BEST FEMALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE PRESENTED BY ROSS D WYLIE TO RENEE GEYER FOR SONG 'IT'S A MAN'S WORLD';07.77 VS AWARD FOR BEST PRODUCER PRESENTED BY COLLEEN HEWETT TO ROSS WILSON FOR SKY HOOKS ALBUM 'LIVING IN THE 70'S';09.57 VS AWARD FOR BEST MALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE PRESENTED BY 2JJ ANOUNCER MAC COCKER TO STEVIE WRIGHT FOR SONG 'EVIE';12.26 VS MONTAGE OF PERFORMERS AND ID FOR THE ABC;13.14 VS SKYHOOKS PERFORM 'HORROR MOVIE' LIVE;16.57 VS SPARKES BACK ANNOUNCE SKYHOOKS, INTROS ALEXIS KORNER AND FREDDIE KING TO PRESENT THE AWARD FOR THE BEST INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE TO BRIAN MAY AND THE ABC SHOWBAND SONG 'RUSH';20.10 VS AWARD FOR THE BEST ALBUM SLEEVE PRESENTED BY JUDY STONE TO MICHAEL LEUNIG FOR CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND ALBUM 'WANGARATTA WAHINE';22.00 VS AWARD FOR BEST GROUP PERFORMANCE PRESENTED BY KERRIE BIDDELL TO THE MOIR SISTERS FOR SONG 'GOOD MORNING HOW ARE YOU?';24.21 VS MONTAGE OF PERFORMERS AND ID FOR THE ABC AND NATIONAL MUSIC AWARDS;25.06 VS RENEE GEYER PERFORMS 'IT'S A MAN'S WORLD' LIVE;28.41 VS AWARD FOR BEST ARRANGEMENT ACCOMPANYING A VOCALIST PRESENTED BY ISSY DYE TO PETER MARTIN FOR THE SONG 'MAMA'S LITTLE GIRL';31.38 VS AWARD FOR THE BEST ENGINEERED RECORDING PRESENTED BY JON ENGLISH TO IAN MACKENZIE AND ERN ROSE FOR THE SONG 'IT'S A MAN'S WORLD';35.27 VS AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO THE INDUSTRY PRESENTED BY SPARKES TO RON TUDOR (FABLE RECORDS);38.16 VS AWARD FOR THE SONG OF THE YEAR PRESENTED BY IAN MCRAE TO MIKE MCCLELLAN FOR SONG 'SONG AND DANCE MAN';41.47 VS AWARD FOR THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR PRESENTED BY JOHN O'DONNELL (RADIO 3XY ANNOUNCER) TO SKYHOOKS FOR 'LIVING IN THE 70'S ALBUM;44.38 VS SPARKES INTROS MICHELLE DOTRICE (SOME MOTHERS DO 'AVE THEM) AND EDWARD WOODWARD PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR THE RECORD OF THE YEAR TO STEVIE WRIGHT FOR 'EVIE';49.37 VS ABC SHOW BAND PERFORM 'MAIGRET';51.44 CLOSING CREDITS

There was also one for 1976

2. ID: 272066 - NATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS 1976

recording date: 03-Mar-1976
duration: 60.02
summary: NATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS 1976. THIS PROGRAM WAS TELECAST LIVE FROM THE HILTON HOTEL, COMPERED BY PETER REAGAN

personalities: BJORN ULVAEUS, ABBA SINGER;PETER REAGAN, PRESENTER;JULIE COSTA,QUEEN OF MOOMBA;MELANIE SAFKA,SINGER;SHERBET,ROCK GROUP;TONY HOGARTH,RECORD PRODUCER;JOHN PAUL YOUNG,SINGER;NEIL TOWER?,PHOTOGRAPHER;GRAEME WALKER,PHOTOGRAPHER;RON WAY,PHOTOGRAPHER;GRAHAM WALSH, JOURNALIST;NEIL JAMIESON,JOURNALIST;MICHAEL SHRIMPTON, COUNTDOWN EXECUTIVE PRODUCER;GARY ASHLEY,REPRESENTATIVE FOR PHILLIP JUDD;JOHNNY O'KEEF, SINGER;ROGER DAVIS,REPRESENTATIVE FOR JOHN SAYERS;BRIAN MAY,ABC SHOW BAND LEADER;RENEE GEYER,SINGER;LORRAE DESMOND,SINGER/ENTERTAINER;GARTH PORTER,RECORD PRODUCER;DARYL BRAITHWAITE,SHERBET SINGER;IAN MELDRUM,COUNTDOWN TALENT COORDINATOR;DON BURROWS,MUSICIAN;GRAEME NEWMAN,REPRESENTATIVE FOR SEBASTIAN HARDY;SLIM

shotlist: 00.06 MCU BJORN ULVAEUS (ABBA) FROM STOCKHOLM, THANKS TO COUNTDOWN AND AUSTRALIA, GOOD LUCK TO THE NOMINEES;00.45 WS THE HILTON HOTEL, VO INTROS THE NATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS;00.51 VS OPENING TITLES , GUESTS AND CELEBRITIES ARRIVING, VO GUESTS FEATURED;01.44 VS AUDIENCE SEATED IN THE HILTON BALLROOM, VO INTROS HOST PETER REAGAN;01.58 VS PETER REAGAN WELCOMES GUESTS, INTROS THE QUEEN OF MOOMBA JULIE COSTA AND MELANIE SAFKA;03.48 VS SAFKA PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR THE MOST POPULAR GROUP TO SHERBET;05.29 VS SAFKA PRESENTS THE MOST POPULAR FEMALE ARTIST AWARD TO MARCIA HINES, AWARD ACCEPTED BY TONY HOGARTH;06.31 VS SAFKA PRESENTS THE MOST POPULAR MALE PERFORMER AWARD TO JOHN PAUL YOUNG;07.00 VS REAGAN INTROS SHERBET;07.17 VS SHERBET PERFORM SONG 'LIFE' LIVE;10.56 VS REAGAN INTROS SPECIAL AWARDS;11.34 VS NEIL TOWER? (PHOTOGRAPHER) PRESENTS THE HIGHLY COMMENDED POP PHOTOGRAPHER AWARD TO GRAEME WEBBER FOR HIS PHOTOGRAPH OF MARCIA HINES, AWARD FOR BEST POP PHOTOGRAPH TO RON WAY FOR HIS PHOTO OF JOE HASHAM;14.27 CA WINNING PHOTOGRAPH;14.31 VS REAGAN INTROS MICHEAL SHRIMPTON TO PRESENT THE BEST ALBUM SLEEVE AWARD TO PHILLIP JUDD FOR SPLIT ENZ ALBUM 'MENTALS NOTES', AWARD ACCEPTED BY GARY ASHLEY FOR JUDD;17.37 VS REAGAN INTROS THE INDUSTRY AWARDS;18.46 VS JOHNNY O'KEEFE TALKS ABOUT EARLY RECORDING DAYS AND PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR THE BEST ENGINEERED RECORDING TO JOHN SAYERS FOR 'LIFE', ROGER DAVIS ACCEPTS THE AWARD FOR SAYERS;21.27 VS REAGAN INTROS BRIAN MAY TO PRESENT THE AWARD FOR THE BEST ARRANGEMENT ACCOMPANYING A VOCALIST TO RENE GEYER FOR THE SONG 'HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION';23.59 VS REAGAN INTROS LORRAE DESMOND, IV RE HER WORK, PRESENTS THE BEST PRODUCER AWARD TO GARTH PORTER AND CLIVE SHAKESPEARE FOR THE SONG 'LIFE', ACCEPTED BY PORTER;27.03 VS RENE GEYER PERFORM 'HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION';31.05 VS REAGAN INTROS THE ARTIST AWARD, DARYL BRAITHWAITE, CURRENT KING OF POP PRESENTS THE AWARD TO IAN MELDRUM FOR A MAJOR CONTRIBUTION TO THE INDUSTRY;33.13 VS REAGAN AND DON BURROWS PRESENT THE AWARD FOR THE BEST INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE TO SEBASTIAN HARDY'S TRACK 'ROSANNA', ACCEPTED BY GRAEME NEWMAN FOR HARDY;36.00 VS JOHN PAUL YOUNG PRESENT THE BEST COUNTRY ALBUM AWARD TO SLIM DUSTY'S ALBUM 'LIGHTS ON THE HILL';38.16 REAGAN INTROS THE LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB);38.36 THE LITTLE RIVER BAND PERFORM 'CURIOSTY KILLED THE CAT';42.19 VS REAGAN INTROS IAN MELDRUM TO PRESENT THE AWARD FOR THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR TO FIRSTLY SHERBET 'LIFE' THEN LITTLE RIVER BAND'S 'LITTLE RIVER BAND ALBUM', SHERBET ARE STOPPED IN THEIR TRACKS AS THEY APPROACH THE STAGE;44.06 VS REAGAN APOLOGISES FOR A FALSE START RE ANNOUNCES LITTLE RIVER BAND AS THE WINNERS, THEY ACCEPT THE AWARD;46.07 VS COL JOYE PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR TO HARRY VANDA AND GEORGE YOUNG, AWARD ACCEPTED BY CHRIS? SURNAME UNKNOWN;49.08 VS REAGAN INTROS JOHN PAUL YOUNG;49.25 VS JOHN PAUL YOUNG SONG 'YESTERDAYS HERO' MUSIC CLIP, THEN LIVE, YOUNG'S PLAYBACK ENDS ABRUPTLY TO YOUNG'S SURPRISE;53.05 VS REAGAN INTROS JACK THOMPSON TO PRESENT THE AWARD FOR THE BEST GROUP PERFORMANCE TO LITTLE RIVER BAND FOR SONG 'CUROSITY KILLED THE CAT';56.04 VS THOMPSON PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR THE BEST FEMALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE TO MARCIA HINES FOR SONG 'FROM THE INSIDE', AWARD ACCEPTED BY TONY HOGARTH;57.42 VS THOMPSON PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR THE BEST MALE VOCAL PEFORMANCE TO JON ENGLISH FOR SONG 'TURN THE PAGE', AWARD ACCEPTED BY ALLAN SHEPHERD;59.36 VS THOMPSON PRESENTS THE AWARD FOR THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR TO SKYHOOKS FOR THEIR ALBUM 'ALL MY FRIENDS ARE GETTING MARRIED', AWARD ACCEPTED BY RAY EVANS;1.01.16 VS REAGAN CLOSER;1.01.35 VS SKYHOOKS MUSIC CLIP 'ALL MY FRIENDS ARE GETTING MARRIED', CLOSING CREDITS PART ONLY

If I am not mistaken I think the opening and Skyhooks clip of "Horror Movie" came from "National Record Industry Awards Show" in 1975. It would have to of been as the ABC telecast it back then and the "TV Week King Of Pop Awards Shows" from memory during the 70's were usually shown on channel Ten or on a commercial station anyway. These shows are the equivalent prob to the "Countdown Awards Shows" of the 80's and to what the "Australian Music Awards" & "Aria Awards" during the 90's and now probably are to what they were then in that they recognise the excellence in our Australian Music Industry".

I would love to see any of these shows in complete form again and I am sure I would not probably be alone judging from the response to that clip shown on the "Rage" retro music programming at 10am yesterday morning. Definitely shows to be screened again as it has been far too long a wait.

Thanks muchly, I'm glad you all enjoyed these wonderful excerpts (good on the Rage folks for adding them!)... such a thrill to see the footage. There are a few items in this awards show (& the following 1976 awards ceremony) that are interesting & possibly worthy of consideration for a Retro Month presentation sometime in the future.

Being awards ceremonies, there are the usual "the award for..." awards handouts/acceptance speech elements that may not be everybody's cup of tea (though I must admit I find that sort of thing fascinating) but certainly a few musical performances & the occasional overseas TV luminary making a cameo for an award presentation that makes for some great, watchable TV history.

Thanks for your comments Guru Bob...re: the Adelaide Festival 1978 ep, there is breakup of the picture at junctures of every 1-4 minutes which at this stage doesn't allow for a broadcast as the picture breakup as severe as I have seen in an archival tape (domestic off-air recordings I've seen have seen hold their picture better than this - the tape in the archives looks to have been a backup of a live performance). That said, with the development of software restoration tools, who knows what is possible in the future?...it would be a nice ep to re-broadcast one day...

I did try to find a better copy of the 1978 ep by organisng a search of the Melbourne Archives but alas, all we are left with is the picture damaged copy...I will check to see if a watchable excerpt can be considered for presentation in the near future.

Cheers,
John ABC TV

I'd love to see that 1978 Adelaide festival one sometime - would be very apt to air during January when its so near the festival itself here.

Given that the Retro season began with 2 Countdown mini-docos from the 70's I'd still like to see that Weekend Magazine one detailing the 50th show - would be an interesting if small substitute than repeating another 70's ep.

Those awards and classic archival footage is definately something Rage should play more of during Retro season - items BEFORE 2000 and things not many may have seen since their original airing.

Must admit I would be far more interested in watching these awards shows, even with a lot of speeches, compared to the common clips they used as fillers in the last few weeks. A much more interesting bit of retro TV.

Same here the complete 1975 and 1976 awards shows would be excellent additions to retro month.

A shame about the 1978 episode but hopefully it'll be restored and aired sometime in the future.

It's impossible of course to develop an informed opinoin without having seen the 75 or 76 awards ceremonies but the Coutdown Award shows shown have all been very entertaining. There are great performances as well as banter and carrying on between those on stage.

I don't think RAGE should underestimate the attention span of the majority of the audience of these retro months. I hazard a guess we are mostly later Baby boomers, Gen xers and older Gen Y's with personal experiences of the world pre1989 and we can enjoy the historical/cultural value of the material. We're not all watching so we can shake our booty.