Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Jan 2 2010

The following is off the Rage website - they do listen to us:

January 2010 rage is going retro! Starting this Saturday night the 2nd January from 11:15pm rage brings you the first full episode of retro goodness playing footage that has not been seen since it was originally aired over 20 and 30 years ago!

The first episode of retro rage will include a Sunday Special Countdown from 1975 with ‘making of’ behind the scenes footage and interviews, a great episode of Rock Arena from 1984 featuring Suzanne Dowling as host (YAY) with a focus on Australian bands (surely that Dec 18 1984 episode that me and CJ have been pushing for), a Rock Arena Rock N Roll Ladies Special from 1983 featuring Kim Wilde, Wendy and the Rocketts, Nina Hagen and Rachel Sweet (an episode I mentioned and CJ was very keen on).

Also featuring will be amazing footage from 70s program Funky Road featuring live performances by Marcia Hines in Russia as well as lots and lots of live retro gold with performances by Simple Minds, Australian Crawl, Deckchairs Overboard and Geisha. (I'm very curious on the live performances of Deckchairs and Geisha - is it individual performances or from concerts???)

Re: Rage Jan 2 2010

So which 'Sunday Special Countdown from 1975' is this?

As I know there are only 4 1975 eps left in the archives, I'm curious as to what this is - unless it was a specially commissioned doco on the show...interesting.

Hopefully a few other eps get a look in as well - although there are 5 Saturdays in January this year so here's hoping for a another bumper year.

Patrick
The 1975 Countdown is probably from the show Weekend Magazine which had a special on Countdown
You can view a clip of this on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVv6xMXdsvY
Hopefully the ABC have an original copy and don't have to rely on an old TV recording but it will be great to see anyhow.
It may be something else as well, I don't know

Just checked out rage and OH MY GAWD!

Guru, the pushing from me and you for the OZ 1984 Rock Arena has proved well!

Also the 1983 Rock Ladies, always wanted to see this one since I saw it on a time code episode advertised on Countdown years ago.

The Rock Arena's are actually THE most exciting thing about this Saturday night so far!

I am also intrigued by this Gold Performances from Simple Minds, Deckchairs and Geisha, what on earth is that all about????

I do HOPE that there are more than just the ONE 1975 Countdown though!. I hope there are at least another 2 Countdowns to follow after the 1975 Episode.

LEast there is NO repeats so far, PHEW!

I have a feeling that this January is going to be even WAY better than the last.

Great stuff... Who ever runs rage these days are amazing. They have been liustening to us the whole year. Simple wonderful, where else do you ghet a show like that????!!!! NO WHERE!

Is Chrissy Amphlett with the Divinyls was featured in a Rock Arena Rock N Roll Ladies Special from 1983?

No,

Chrissy is not

Happy New Year everyone!
This weekend's playlist is up now and while I can give or take the 10-11am special,I wanna wait till Saturday night to see what I'm in for in full.Plenty of surprises,we hope.
Oh,and Jason-those Countdown Club newsletters were a great read and in great nick for something nearly 30 years old too.You've took great care of them.Thanks for putting them up for everyone to see!

Unfortunately we do not get the 1982 Eurogliders episode which featured Without You, but we do get one that they hosted in 1985, which is also a very good episode and featured Deckchairs and Geisha live so I guess that was those "live retro gold" performances that were mentioned.

But they have listened to us and will show Without You as an individual clip which is utterly brilliant - I just hope it is the clip and not the live Countdown performance but I think it will be as in brackets after it is (Independent) and not (ABC) so it should be the clip.

The 2 Rock Arena's are the highlights of the night, closely followed by the Sunday Spectrum and Flashez specials on Countdown.

Also unfortunate is the playing of the Oct 8 1982 Simple Minds Countdown as I have a timecoded copy of that but as it hasn't been shown before that is OK. The highlight of that is the rare Icehouse-Glam video.

Roland S Howard died yesterday so we get some of his clips but fortunately this special isn't as big as the James Brown special 3 years ago. The Mick Cocks clips will be shown on Saturday morning so won't effect the Retro playlist. Why do these people die in January?

Guru,

I can't find info on my Archives for the 1985 Countdown,
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Guys know more about this than me, but I think the 1985 episode might be archived as show no. 488 and dated 23/11/1985. The 1982 show appears to be show no. 348 and is listed as 10/10/1982.

Being the anally retentive individual I am I've noticed that when plotting broadcasts on perpetual calenders that often the summaries are dated the friday before the Sunday broadcast (is this right?). Was Coutdown always broadcast from January 1975 on a Sunday? I only ever seem to remember it it on a Sunday. Perhaps they were recorded on the previous Friday?

I won't be cheeky and copy the playlists in in case I'm wrong about the 85 episode. It's good to see another 1985 episode (this was my first year in High School and I'd only been seriously into music for a year or so).

Cheers,

Ron

CJ
Countdown Ep 488 Recorded Oct 15? Broadcast Oct 17 1985, Replay Oct 23 1985
SHOW HOSTED BY GRACE KNIGHT AND BERNIE LYNCH FROM BAND, EUROGLIDERS, AND INCLS REGULAR HUMDRUM SEGMENT AND UK, USA AND AUSTRALIAN TOP 5'S. MOLLY IV'S ANNIE LENNOX AND DAVE STEWART FROM THE EURYTHMICS RE NEW SINGLE, AND BERNIE AND GRACE RE NEW ALBUM, MUSIC CRITICS AND TOUR;CHARTBUSTERS:;READY FOR THE WORLD 'OH SHEILA';RED BOX 'LEAN ON ME';ICEHOUSE 'NO PROMISES';NEIL 'HOLE IN MY SHOE';HUMDRUM ITEMS:;JENNY MORRIS 'GET SOME HUMOUR';THE CHURCH 'ALREADY YESTERDAY';STUDIO PERFORMANCES:;AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'TROUBLE SPOT ROCK';DECKCHAIRS OVERBOARD 'WALKING IN THE DARK';GEISHA 'KABUKI';KIDS IN THE KITCHEN 'MY LIFE';VIDEO CLIPS:;PSEUDO ECHO 'DON'T GO';EUROGLIDERS 'CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU';ROSE TATTTOO 'BORN TO BE WILD';EURYTHMICS 'SISTERS ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES';GLENN FREY 'YOU BELONG TO THE CITY';FEARGAL SHARKEY 'A GOOD HEART';TOP TEN:;KOOL & THE GANG 'CHERISH';THE HOOTERS 'AND WE DANCED';PSEUDO ECHO 'DON'T GO';STEVIE WONDER 'PART TIME LOVER';TIME BANDITS 'ENDLESS ROAD';BOWIE/JAGGER 'DANCING IN THE STREET';JOHN PARR 'ST ELMO'S FIRE';JENNIFER RUSH 'POWER OF LOVE';UB40/CHRISSIE HYNDE 'I GOT YOU BABE';A-HA 'TAKE ON ME'

Rock Arena Dec 18 1984 hosted Suzanne Dowling
December 18 1984
THIS WEEKS FOCUS IS ON AUSTRALIAN BANDS.THE HOST SUZANNE DOWLING TALKS ABOUT THREE BANDS DURING THE SHOW,THE TRIBE(10.12),BEARGARDEN(19.26) AND THE MACHINATIONS(27.90).THERE IS A SPECIAL LIVE PERFORMANCE BY THE MACHINATIONS AT THE CHEVRON IN SYDNEY;ARTISTS:;PUNTER TO PUNTER 'PUNT,PUNT,PUNT'(0.15);I'M TALKING 'TRUST ME'(2.59);THE TRIBE 'DREAMS'(6.42);FLASH AND THE PAN 'MIDNIGHT MAN'(11.03);ROSE TATTOO 'FREEDOMS FLAME'(14.57);SCRIBBLE 'ADAPTABILITY'(20.17);
BEARGARDEN 'THE FINER THINGS'(23.37);MACHINATIONS 'JUMPING THE GAP'(28.53)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'AVERAGE'(32.59)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'MAN OVERBOARD'(37.20)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'EXECUTION (OF LOVE)'(42.55)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'PRESSURE SWAY'(47.03)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'NO SAY IN IT'(52.33)LIVE

Rock Arena Dec 27 1983 hosted Andrew Peters
December 27 1983 (Rock And Roll Ladies)
KIM WILDE FILM CLIP, CHEQUERED LOVE;
RTC;
DUGITES FILM CLIP, CUT THE TALKING (LONG VERSION);
WENDY AND THE ROCKETTS FILM CLIP, HAVE YOU BEEN TELLING ME LIES;
WENDY AND THE ROCKETTS FILM CLIP, YOUR PLACE OR MINE;
WENDY AND THE ROCKETTS FILM CLIP, PLAY THE GAME;
RTC;
THE TOURISTS FILM CLIP, DON'T SAY I TOLD YOU SO;
EURYTHMICS,LOVE IS A STRANGER;
EURYTHMICS FILM CLIP, SWEET DREAMS;
KIM WILDE FILM CLIP, KIDS IN AMERICA;
KIM WILDE FILM CLIP, VIEW FROM A BRIDGE;
KIM WILDE FILM CLIP, LOVE BLONDE;
RTC;
PAT BENATAR FILM CLIP, YOU BETTER RUN;
PAT BENATAR FILM CLIP,ANXIETY (GET NERVOUS);
PAT BENATAR FILM CLIP, SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT;
PAT BENATAR FILM CLIP, LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD;
RTC;
VANITY SIX FILM CLIP, NASTY GIRL;
NINA HAGEN FILM CLIP, AFRICAN REGGAE;
RACHEL SWEET FILM CLIP, VOODOO;
RICKIE LEE JONES LIVE, LAST CHANCE TEXACO

Sunday Spectrum July 1 1979 - REPORTS ON THE MAKING OF AN EPISODE OF COUNTDOWN, TO CELEBRATE THE PROGRAM'S 200TH EPISODE

00.02.30 VS INTS ABC CONTROL ROOM, COUNTDOWN BEING RECORDED;00.02.41 VS INTS ABC STUDIO, RECORDING OF DRAGON LIVE IN STUDIO;00.02.56 MVU PAUL TURNER INTRODUCTION ANNOUNCES THE MAKING OF COUNTDOWN;00.03.02 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM, EMERY COUNTS DOWN;00.03.10 BLACK;00.03.21 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM,DIRECTOR'S ASSISTANT COUNTS DOWN;00.03.32 VS INTS ABC STUDIO,DRAGON PERFORMING ON STAGE, GIRLS IN AUDIENCE CLAPPING ALONG;00.03.44 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM, EMERY SPEAKS TO CREW;00.04.36 VS DRAGON PERFORMING IN STUDIO;00.04.40 MS SHRIMPTON WATCHING COUNTDOWN ON TELEVISION SCREENS, BACK TO CAMERA;00.04.44 MS PROF FLOOR MANAGER IN STUDIO;00.04.49 MS SHRIMPTON SEATED WATCHING COUNTDOWN ON TELEVISION, CHECKING NOTES;00.04.56 VS FLOOR MANAGER ENCOURAGING AUDIENCE TO CLAP;00.05.02 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM, IMAGES ON TV MONITORS;00.05.19 VS DRAGON PERFORMING IN STUDIO;00.05.49 BLACK, AUDIO V/O SHRIMPTON IV ON FIRST EPISODE OF COUNTDOWN;00.06.02 VS CAMERAMAN FILMING;00.06.10 BLACK, SHRIMPTON V/O IV RE COUNTDOWN IN COLOUR;00.06.28 VS INTS COUNTDOWN OFFICE, STAFF WATCH EPISODE ON TV;00.06.47 VS STAFF MEETING, SHRIMPTON AND EMERY DISCUSS CHROMA KEY, PRODUCTION STAFF TALK IN MEETING;00.07.59 VS JAMES IN MEETING,V/O IV RE WHAT TEENAGERS WANT;00.08.33 VS INTS HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM, TEENAGERS DISCUSS COUNTDOWN AND OPINIONS ON BAND IN COUNTDOWN COUNCIL PROGRAM;00.09.39 VS INTS COUNTDOWN OFFICE, JAMES READS MAGAZINE AT DESK, NOBLE TALKS ON TELEPHONE AND TAKES NOTES, JAMES AND NOBLE DISCUSS CHARTS;00.11.06 MCU JAMES IV RE CHARTS, BOZ SCAGGS;00.12.09 BLACK, AUDIO BOZ SCAGGS SONG;00.13.36 MCU JAMES IV RE COUNTDOWN ROLE IN HIT MAKING;00.13.54 BLUE;00.13.58 VS MELDRUM RECORDING HUMDRUM SEGMENT, RECORD REVIEWS;00.14.35 VS INTS MELDRUM AND EMERY DISCUSS PROGRAM IN OFFICE, V/O EMERY IV ON MELDRUM;00.15.15 VS INTS MELDRUM IN OFFICE MEETING WITH RECORD COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE ?;00.15.46 VS INTS MELDRUM LISTENS TO TODD RUNDGREN RECORD IN OFFICE;00.16.05 MCU MELDRUM IV ON TALENT BEING IN LOVE FOR MUSIC, NOT IN PRESENTING SKILLS, CRITICISED FOR SAYING EVERY ALBUM IS GOOD, QUESTIONS TOO LONG, RECORD PRODUCING CAREER;00.18.46 BLACK;00.19.14 VS INTS SHRIMPTON, EMERY, MELDRUM AND OTHER COUNTDOWN PRODUCTION STAFF AT ELO (AKA ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA) ALBUM LAUNCH FUNCTION;00.19.44 VS ELO ALBUM COVER;00.19.46 VS INTS OFFICE EMERY AND COUNTDOWN STAFF MEMBER DISCUSS ALBUMS IN OFFICE, NOBLE TALKS TO EMERY, EMERY V/O IV ON RECORD COMPANIES;00.20.47 VS INTS OFFICE EMERY TALKS TO PRODUCTION STAFF;00.21.01 VS INTS COUNTDOWN PRODUCTION MEETING, EMERY TALKS TO CREW, V/O EMERY IV RE TECHNICAL CONCERNS;00.21.47 VS INTS MEETING, NICHOLSON USING BUILDING BLOCKS TO ILLUSTRATE STAGE;00.21.53 VS NICHOLSON DRAWING SET DESIGNS AT DESK;00.22.05 VS NICHOLSON WALKS THROUGH ABC STAGING AREA, NICHOLSON TALKS TO SET BUILDERS, V/O IV ON SET DESIGN;00.23.04 VS INTS STUDIO, TURNER RECORDING INTRO;00.23.21 VS JONES AND CREW MEMBER WATCH SEGMENT ON VIDEOTAPE MACHINE;00.23.34 HA MCU EMERY AT DESK MAKING SHOT LIST, PLAYING SONG ON PORTABLE TAPE PLAYER;00.23.51 VS EXTS ABC BUILDING;00.23.54 VS STAFF MEMBER GREETS BAND DRAGON ? AS THEY PULL UP O/S ABC IN CAR, WALK INTO BUILDING;00.24.09 MWS INTS EMERY IN CONTROL ROOM;00.24.31 MCU ON AIR SIGN;00.24.33 VS EMERY ON STAGE DURING REHEARSAL, GIVES DIRECTIONS TO CREW;00.25.11 VS DANCERS REHEARSING IN STUDIO, CREW MOVE ON CAMERA CRANE;00.25.43 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM, CREW, EMERY;00.25.58 VS INTS MAKE UP DEPARTMENT, MAKEUP ARTIST APPLIES FOUNDATION TO MALE PERFORMER;00.26.09 VS FLOOR MANAGER ON FLOOR TALKS TO CREW IN CONTROL ROOM, CAMERAMAN WATCHING DANCERS BEFORE REHEARSAL;00.26.33 VS CAMERAMAN ON CRANE, WORKERS MOVE PROPS, CREW MEMBER EXPLAINS PROCESS TO TEENAGERS IN AUDIENCE;00.26.56 VS FLOOR MANAGER HOLDS UP CLAPPER TITLE BOARD;00.27.05 LA MCU ON AIR SIGN;00.27.07 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM, AUDIO CART MACHINE, AUDIO OPERATOR AT CONSOLE;00.27.11 MCU VISION MIXER HAND ON SLIDER;00.27.12 HA MWS AUDIENCE IN STUDIO;00.27.15 MCU EMERY CALLS TO ROLL TAPE IN CONTROL ROOM;00.27.17 MCU VIDEO TAPE MACHINE RECORDING;00.27.18 LA MCU ON AIR SIGN;00.27.19 BLACK, AUDIO DONNA SUMMER 'BAD GIRLS';00.27.50 VS MELDRUM IN OFFICE LOOKING THROUGH RECORDS WITH WOMAN;00.28.24 HA MCU VISION CONTROL BOARD;00.28.29 VS INTS STUDIO, CREW WALKS BEHIND AUDIENCE;00.28.33 VS INTS CONTROL ROOM, EMERY, DIRECTORS ASSISTANT COUNTS DOWN;00.29.10 BLACK, AUDIO RUSSEL MORRIS;00.29.52 VS INTS VIDEOTAPE DEPARTMENT, TAPE MACHINE ROLLING;00.30.03 VS INTS STUDIO, RUSSELL

Especially looking foward to the 1985 Countdown ep featuring Deckchairs Overboard's "Walking in the Dark" as it is one I have requested several times and I haven't seen it in a long time.
Other highlights are the Church's "Already Yesterday" and the Rock Arena "Rock and Roll Ladies" special, especially the Pat Benatar and Nina Hagen clips.
Shame "We Live For Love" isn't included though...

Interesting selection on Rage for Saturday.

It wouldn't be too far out of the realms of possibility to assume that the programmers will be spreading out the 5 Eurogliders hosted episodes over the season? - there are 5 Saturdays this january after all.....

The archival sections on Countdown should be good as well - I guess that 1975 Weekend Magazine one may get a guernsey at some point this season as well - nice to see Rage trying to still be varied too - may they continue to do so !

I'm not thrilled at all (to put it mildy) at all the repeats of common/recently-aired clips on Saturday night in between Countdown/Rock Arena:

BOYS NEXT DOOR Shivers (Mushroom)
EUROGLIDERS Heaven (Must Be There) (Sony)
SIMPLE MINDS Don't You (Forget About Me) (Virgin)
KIDS IN THE KITCHEN Current Stand (Independent)
STEVE MILLER BAND Abracadabra (Polydor)
DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS Come On Eileen (Polygram)
ICEHOUSE Great Southern Land (Festival)
SURVIVOR Eye Of The Tiger (EMI)
DAVID BOWIE & MICK JAGGER Dancing In The Street (EMI)

WHY are Rage so unimaginative with choosing retro clips? They have a full vault of videos that are rarely/never seen, but they choose these safe options

I am pleased to see Transvision Vamp & Bananarama on Saturday morning though. I wonder which version of 'I Want You Back' it will be.

I am happy with the selection this Saturday night.

Yes Guru, we have the 1982 in time code but that is not rage's fault I guess.

Though I am loving the fact I will have Glam from that 1982 Episode without any timer code, HEAVEN!

The 1985 Episode looks good, love the KITK Performance of "My Life".

What I am NOT happy about is the retro video's played on Saturday night in between Countdown and Rock Arena!

Current Stand?... Heaven (Must Be There)?... We got both of them on the OZ 80s Special!

And Abrcadabra was a rare video to get but rage have played it heaps now. And Dancing In The Street by Bowie and Jagger, WTF????

To Guru. I am actually happy that rage are playing the actual video for Without You as it will be more complete if it isn't from Countdown. Unless they have take it from Countdown.

Overall I am happy about Retro 1 but the order is just crap. And the tribute is a pain in the ass in the beginning.

The Rock Arena Ladies is right at the end!... What a bummer.

Anyhow, bring on Saturday.

Hi Jason, The clip of the 'Icehouse' song 'Glam' on the 82 episode, is that the one without the image effects on it?

What do you mean image effects?

It's Iva with the headband on with all the make up in some studio looking brilliant.

And there are photos at one point like in a lab floating.

I am VERY excited I will be getting this video in digital stereo. The HARDEST Icehouse video to get.

BRILLIANT!

Hi Jason, I don't know what they call this effect. It was sort of the new video effect of the moment for a while. All i can say that it was sort of 'Phazzing and wavering' like effect with a jerky time delay effect added to it. But i remember that this clip was played once without all these effects added onto it. The clip was just a straight filmed video clip, like the one that you described with no enhancements added. I always liked that version. But i can't remember which music show premiered it. I think it was Countdown?.

Maybe Guru can help you with this one

Sorry, I have no idea. This is the only version of Glam that I have seen. It is such a rare video that I really wasn't expecting someone to suggest that there are 2 versions.

For some reason I thought the ABC had shown all the Flashez clips so needless to say I'm very happy to see one listed for the first night..and looks fantastic as well!

The Sunday Spectrum "making of" looks fascinating too.

Generally a fan of Rock Arena but aside from the Kim Wilde clips nothing much there interests me.

Really looking forward to seeing the Glam clip..Primitive Man has been a favorite for ages and Glam one of my favorites from it..don't recall having ever seen it

Bring it on!

Im hoping the Countdown version is the un-touched one.As all the other times that i saw in the 80's, it was the enhanced version. Why was a clip made for this song? as it wasn't a single or was it to be? It's not the usual flashy music video that Icehouse makes. The song did get quite a bit of radio airplay on tripleM in the 80's. The Primitive Man album is a very underated album.

I am looking forward to this Sunday Spectrum as well. It looks REALLY interesting and very full of information on Countdown.

I don't know how I will control myself during Rock Arena 1984, WOW!

And what will Miss Dowling be wearing? FAB!

By the way, doesen't matter why Iva made a video to "Glam". Just thank goodness there is a video to it. I always thought there was just ONE video to "Glam" but hey!... I don't care which one it is, so long as I get a crisp copy to add to my Icehouse archives!!!!!!!!!!!

Glam was the B side to Hey Little Girl so maybe they were planning to make it a double A side or they had received positive feedback from overseas where Hey Little Girl was Icehouse's first chart single in the UK and the DJs had a listen to the B side and liked what they heard. Who knows?

I am looking forward to getting a nice fresh copy of My Life by Kids In The Kitchen tonight. I have the very same Countdown performance in ****ty quality. SO it will be good to have it all new and in Stereo!

Would be nice to have the actual video to My Life though.

I am SPEWING that rage are playing bloody Current Stand later on. WISH they chose the video to Shine. It is beyond HEAVEN!

Thank goodness rage at least played the episode of Rock Arena with Say It a few years ago. My FAV KITK track and the video is SUBLIME!

The 1st hour was torture due to that Birthday Party performance being shown in full - I actually have the official video of that and I swear I will never watch it again for as long as I live. A clip or two would have sufficed particularly as it focused on Nick Cave and Rowland was only in the shadows. I didn't mind the These Immortal Souls and Rowland on the 10:30 Slot clips as that was interesting and I had not seen that before.

The next 3 hours were as good as I have seen on Rage Retro with that brilliant Dec 18 1984 Rock Arena and Suzanne looking as stunning as ever, The '85 Countdown is as good as any, Flashez and Sunday Spectrum were great rare glimpses into what it was like being there and seeing the clip for Without You topped it all off.

As I have seen the 1982 Countdown and the common clips I chose sleep as the next 2 hours were a bit of a lull.

Have just watched the Some Girls Rock Arena and that was another good episode, particularly liked the rare Wendy & The Rocketts clips.

Unfortunate that we missed seeing Funky Road with Marcia Hines, that sounded interesting. They should have left that in and dropped some of the clips. I presume that will air next week.

Aside from the Nick Cave stuff it was retro heaven for 4 hours or so,I even enjoyed the Rock Arena but that could be because I love looking at the gorgeous Suzanne Dowling

Retro 1 was BRILLIANT!

The parts that were AMAZING and consistent really were FANTASTIC!

I think the clips after SImple mInds and the long wait till the last Rock Arena and most of all the HORRIBLE start to Retro Month with the LACK of excitment of Nick Cave dragging on was a kick in the teeth.

Otherwise I was in some SERIOUS retro heaven last night.

Machinations live just ruin me, STUNNING!!!!!!!!!

And the behinf the scenes Countdown was SOOOOOO interesting. It was very cool!

And YAY, Without You clip FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and the Glam clip was awesome..

As mentioned, aside from the Nick Cave stuff, last nights retro was great. Always great to see the Rock Arena episodes and Suzanne Dowling. Good to have the 'Glam' music clip before someone stuck it through a vision mixer machine.

Last night wasn't a bad effort - although naturally I would have loved to have seen another Countdown ep thrown in!

The behind the scenes doco on the 1979 Countdown was very interesting - with more honesty in it than a lot of docos made these days. The Flashez one with brief but interesting.

I was actually hoping to see a cameo appearance from Black Bess - the famous audience member who attended almost every live Countdown...someone should track her down for an interview!

Presumably the 1975 Weekend Magazine doco on Countdown will get an airing sometime in the next couple of weeks - although it would have been a perfect fit for last night.

As I said they could have slotted in another ep somewhere - perhaps the unaired 1979 Daryl Cotton ep after the Spectrum show or maybe one of the other Eurogliders hosted show to compliment the 1985 one.

The 1982 Countdown was great - with the delightfully bizarre Trio, Yazoo and my fave Billy Joel song 'Pressure'. I loved the Glittering Prize clip as well - one of my favourite Simple Minds tunes. If you look closely at the clip, the guy playing the security guard is the same one who played the noise inspector in the Musical Youth clip for Pass the Dutchie. As Michael Caine would say 'not a lot of people know that!'

I also noticed that the clips from Kids in the Kitchen thru to Cheap Trick were all taken from the Top 10's of both Countdown's. 6 of them featured in the 82 ep whilst 3 were from the 85 one. Maybe this is the format Rage will be going with - although I'd rather see some more rare shows put in if possible.

And I agree with those saying about Nick Cave - I know he has a massive fan-base but his inclusion last night was out of place and not befitting the theme of Retro January - hopefully this will prove to be an early blip.

Overall not a bad night, but i await to see more Countdowns and unusual shows deserving of an airing!

Overall, last night was GREAT.

I think along with the hour and a half of Nick Cave and co torture really ruined Retro 1.

From the first Rock Arena onto the Countdown's thpugh, it was pure BLISS!

Though I did like the 1985 Countdown I think that Episode could have been saved till maybe week 3 or so.

I just wish instead of rage playing those looooo0ng brackets of videos that they could just play about 3 video clips in between then even put 5 miutes of a segment from Beat Box e.t.c... Just to keep the flow and excitment up.

After the FABULOUS 1982 Episode which in my opinion should have been the first thing played for the night it got a bot dull. Loved that rage played Simple Minds with Chelsea Girl as the promo is NOT on the Simple Minds DVD...

The waiting for the last Rock Arena was just dragging on. In theat time another Epsidoe of Countdown would have fit in VERY nicely!

I hope rage dont just play 3 Countdowns a weekend with LOADS of video clips in between. As many Countdown's and Rock Arena's plus little Flashez bits and little surprises the BETTER!

THE best video clip rage played in between last night was without a doubt "Without You" from Eurogliders. They are the RARE promo video's I want rage to concentrate on!... NOT things like Eye Of The Tiger!. If they continue with this whole playing clips from a Countdown Top Ten it will be VERY boring as Top Ten's are WAAAAY to commercial and safe!

****! Just watched the Deckchairs Overboard clip,"Walking on the Dark" on Countdown and realised that it wasn't the clip I've been wanting to see after all -must have got my songs mixed up!
I actually found that one quite boring.
The clip I remember was often played back in the early days of Rage and featured Cathy McQuade singing. It definitely wasn't "That's the Way" but was such a good song.
Can anybody help me out as to what it might be?
(It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out!)

Here is a You Tube link to the actual video to "Walking In the Dark" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj2Cpcipp58

If you have a look on YouTube - just type in Deckchairs Overboard - there are clips for That's The Way, Shout, Walking In The Dark and Fight For Love.

You may be thinking of the original version of Walking In The Dark as the version you saw last night is the 2nd version. They had originally released it in June 1984 and it was shown live on Countdown July 1 1984.

If it's the Fight For Love clip you are after I can help as that is my clip.

Thanks for the info,guru and Jason.
I had a look at all the clips you mentioned on YouTube and sadly,it's none of them.
The clip I'm thinking of was set outside at night and featured Cathy on lead vocals,walking along.
That's all I can recall about it as it was quite a while ago- I just remember seeing it on Rage a few times in the late 80s.
Perhaps it may have even been her by herself, post Deckchairs?

Quite a mystery really....

I saw one of the Rock Arena episodes about female rock singers in Rage on TV in the early morning and during watching the clips by female rock singers, I wonder if I'm going to dream about being as a gentleman and dress up as Rod Taylor's character, Scobie Malone from the 1968 movie, The High Commissioner wearing a suit and a bow tie and appear in whether could it be going out with Wendy Stapleton in the film clip of Wendy and the Rocketts' Play The Game, being in a limousine with Annie Lennox in her blonde wig in the video clip of Eurythmics' Love Is A Stranger, hop in a car with Kim Wilde in the video clip of Love Blonde and doing with Vanity in the video clip of Nasty Girl, what's do you think? I'm just a dreamer.

Was that Sandi Chick (yes, that is her surname) in the video for Scribbles 'Adaptability' on the Dec '84 episode of Rock Arena? Sandi did lead vocals on the Rockmelons first single 'Time Out For Serious Fun' in early '85.

Hi Michael!
It was indeed Sandi Chick.She also pops up in In My Life by Divinyls and I'd Die To Be With You Tonight by Jim Barnes.
Haven't heard Time Out For Serious Fun since about the time it was used as the theme song for the show of the same name that had the most beautiful Kate Fischer involved(mid '90's from memory).