Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coming soon to countdownmemories.com

Hey all,

Just letting the regulars of my site know about some GREAT Updates coming up in January here on countdownmemories!

I have Volumes 01 to 11 of the 1982 and 1983 RARE COUNTDOWN CLUB Magazines to be put up on countdownmemories AND an interview I am doing with Annalisse Morrow (Lead singer of the GREAT Australian band, The Numbers)

STAY TUNED, not only are rage going Countdown in January but those updates and more are ALSO coming up in January. THE month for Countdown on rage and here on the net!!!!

Re: Coming soon to countdownmemories.com

Looking forward to it. Jason - do you think you could ask Annalise about her hosting duties on Countdown (Aug '82) Boy, did she struggle getting the words out - reading from the cue cards. I felt embarrassed for her, but it was a great performance from the band to kick off the show. I remember her being interviewed on the Midday Show with Kerri-Ann back in the mid 90's and she talked about her eating disorder. Not sure if it was a problem during her days with the Numbers or with the Maybe Dolls?

Michael,

I already have asked her about hosting Countdown and her struggle with it, hehe!

Yes poor Annalise seemed really nervous in her episode - but like everyone else who hosted it - good on her for doing so!

Your plans sound very interesting Jason - as I've never had the chance to see those items I'd be very keen on seeing them!

Great to see something new appear on this site, although I am just happy if the forum keeps ticking over.

Just out of curiosity, when are you updating the Countdown Re-runs on Rage section - it hasn't been done since 2004. I find your reference guide far easier to navigate than the Rage Playlists section.

Rage showed Countdown August 15 1982 on January 15 1995 but it is not on your list. I know the date is right as it has the Rage Top 50 straight after it.

Okay, I will add that Episode to 1995.

After the Updates I have mentioned are up I will get on to the Countdown Re-Runs. I know it needs to be done desperately as yes, they are more easy to go through than rage's set lists!

The Updates should be visable by the first week of January!......

Hey all,

The new "Countdown Club Magazines" page is up and ready to view.

Enjoy the look!

Just checked them out - brilliant stuff - well done jason!

I noticed a lot of the interviews were far more insightful than the ones in magazines today - a lot less 'fluff' and more substance.

The pics of Duran Duran, etc are great - especially loved the one featuring Tight Fit.

Plus I was highly amused to see that Glenn A Baker awarded the soundtrack to the Pirate Movie 4 stars - i actually remember seeing it when it came out.......what days they were!

Certainly whets the appetite for Retro season in just under a week's time - very nostalgic reading. If only i was old enough back then I would have joined the club!!

guru bob
Great to see something new appear on this site, although I am just happy if the forum keeps ticking over.

Just out of curiosity, when are you updating the Countdown Re-runs on Rage section - it hasn't been done since 2004. I find your reference guide far easier to navigate than the Rage Playlists section.

Rage showed Countdown August 15 1982 on January 15 1995 but it is not on your list. I know the date is right as it has the Rage Top 50 straight after it.

Just to add a bit of further info - there also must have been other Rage re-runs on Saturdays in January 1993 besides the very first one shown on Jasons pages here (16/01/93).

The reason I say this is that I have a videotape that has the colour show from 1st March 1975 (in very poor transmitted quality I might add), a show from December 1976 and the start of the Iggy Pop show from 1979 with Glenn Shorrock host. As these are all that is on the tape I cannot date it precisely but it will definitely be either 23/01/93 or 30/01/93 for sure.

Gurubob or anyone else - are you able to shed any light on this?

I agree,

as I remember watching Countdown on a Friday night believe it or not!. And I know this is a fact as I remember watching from night time till about 4.30 am on Sat morning. Remember seeing Eruption with "One Way Ticket" live in the studio Episode!

I remember being dissapointed by the NO 80s Episodes, then the next night or maybe week after I saw the Episodes listed as the first on my list, on a Saturday night in 1993!

Anyhow, I don't think our memories will be enough to put on paper!

I doubt it is actually from 1993 but then again I wasn't that regular at watching back then and may be wrong. The official 1993 programming was as follows:
2nd Jan Best of rage Special
9th Jan ABC TV Beatbox Special
16th Jan Countdown Special
23rd Jan New Release videos
30th Jan New Release videos

There is no show in existence from March 1 1975, this is probably the first show of 1975 hosted by John Farnham and opening with Skyhooks. Can you confirm what is on that March episode? There are only 4 episodes from 1975 surviving that I know of being Feb 22 (also shown as Jan 1 sometimes) hosted by John Farnham, Aug 31 Sherbet, Sept 7 Marty Rhone and Dec 15 Sherbet Special. If it is something else from 1975 I would love to get a copy and work it out.

The July 8 1979 Iggy Pop episode (which has Eruption - One Way Ticket but not live on Countdown, it was from a UK show I think maybe TOTP, Old Grey Whistle Test or maybe even Soul Train) was shown 4 times 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2000 - and I got sick of seeing it so often, the repeats in the 90's were ridiculous. There are 2 episodes from Dec 1976, the JPY hosted one was shown in 1997 and 1999 and the Sherbet/Daryl Braithwaite episode was shown 1995, 1996 and 2007.

Who knows, maybe they did show a few more episodes in 1993?? Interesting

guru bob
I doubt it is actually from 1993 but then again I wasn't that regular at watching back then and may be wrong. The official 1993 programming was as follows:
2nd Jan Best of rage Special
9th Jan ABC TV Beatbox Special
16th Jan Countdown Special
23rd Jan New Release videos
30th Jan New Release videos

There is no show in existence from March 1 1975, this is probably the first show of 1975 hosted by John Farnham and opening with Skyhooks. Can you confirm what is on that March episode? There are only 4 episodes from 1975 surviving that I know of being Feb 22 (also shown as Jan 1 sometimes) hosted by John Farnham, Aug 31 Sherbet, Sept 7 Marty Rhone and Dec 15 Sherbet Special. If it is something else from 1975 I would love to get a copy and work it out.

The July 8 1979 Iggy Pop episode (which has Eruption - One Way Ticket but not live on Countdown, it was from a UK show I think maybe TOTP, Old Grey Whistle Test or maybe even Soul Train) was shown 4 times 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2000 - and I got sick of seeing it so often, the repeats in the 90's were ridiculous. There are 2 episodes from Dec 1976, the JPY hosted one was shown in 1997 and 1999 and the Sherbet/Daryl Braithwaite episode was shown 1995, 1996 and 2007.

Who knows, maybe they did show a few more episodes in 1993?? Interesting

Hi Gurubob

The 01/03/75 is the Farnham-hosted show recovered on U-Matic tape by the ABC some time in the early 90's. I know some of the detail shown for this episode when screened always shows 22/02/75 (or 01/01) but I think that was the taping date rather than transmission date. The show was screened originally at Midnight on March 1 1975 to co-incide with the launch of colour TV (or possibly March 1 was a repeat from Feb 22?).

More importantly,the detail on the Rage site as you have shown only seems to indicate new release videos on 23/01 and 30/01 - I am 100% sure there was another round of Countdowns on one of those 2 dates. I will dig out the tape now and have another look. I definitely missed the 16/01 Countdown shows at the time as I did not know they were even on. Will be happy to dub a copy on DVD as well no problems so you can try to work it out as well. I am scratching my head - we must solve this mystery before Jason updates the Rage re-runs section of the site.

Regards Brett

Sorry Gurubob, Jason - I should have read Jasons posting as well. I think he could be right - the first round of Countdowns could well have been on the Friday night. I only remember throwing in a videotape as soon as it started just after midnight, and then the tape ran out around 4.00am just at the start of the Glenn Shorrock hosted show. Will give you more detail tomorrow or Friday. It was definitely 1993 though - there is no other year it could have been looking at my sequence of videotapes and episode order off Rage.

I know for a FACT that there was a bunch of 70's Countdown's on the Friday night.

I remember finishing for the week and getting home and watching rage and Countdown was on.

They played a very Early Countdown, the Iggy Pop Countdown and I think another one in between both of those. I still have my tape from 1993 with some of the Friday night stuff on it.

Then I used a different video for the Saturday night one with 1985 and 1986 Episode.

Yep, you're right Jason the other episodes must have been shown on the Friday night. I have the 4 80's episodes from 16/1/93 and these are the only first episodes I was aware of. The only times I rang up the rage line was on Saturday arvos to find out what was playing that night and that's how I knew that rage were playing Countdown. I never rang on the Friday night, as it was pretty much current alternative music vids of the time and it didn't interest me. And of course, we all know that the 1985 episode they played on 16/1/93 was May 5, not April 1985 as displayed on the TV screen. In the early days, rage often got the date wrong and often just had the month and year.

Glad someone else remembers the very RARE screening of Countdown's on a Fridat night!!!!!!!!!!

YES, rage DID SOMETIMES GET DATES WRONG, IT IS MORE THAN ANNOYING INDEED!