Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AUS 80's thiss wekkend on rage

WOW.

Matt Moffit with "MIss This Tonight" made it! ... On Saturday morning!

2 of my requests being

Pel Mel - No Word From China

AND

Machinations - Execution Of Love

ALSO made it!

AND oh my gawd, rage are playing VITABEATS Boom Box!!!!!!!!

Plus Dropbears, KOO DE TAH!, The Expression, The Reels, Boom Crash Opera with "Great Wall" my FAV!
And Dead Can Dance...

I am hoping Deckchairs Overboard is not the COuntdown one they always play, I want the actual video!

Pseudo Echo, Real Life and Kids In The Kitchen are VERY predictable tracks cxhosen, unfortunately!

As is with Wa Wa Nee, I SO want One On One, ah well..

I am still NEVER going to get Without You by Eurogliders or Serious Young Insects with Be Patient, sigh...

I KNEW rage would play bloody Heaven (Must Be There)!

Overall, a good night!

And Mentals selections ain't bad either ***

Re: AUS 80's this weekend on rage

YAY !!! Very happy some requests got through...

Some others that I'm interested in seeing are

Matt Finish - Always Another
Stephen Cummings - Backstabbers
Kids In The Kitchen - Current Stand
Little River Band - The Night Owls
The Expression - Small Brave Land

also...

Michael Hutchence - Rooms For The Memory

...which I've never seen or heard before, and I'm only aware of it as there was so much discussion about the fact it was excluded from the INXS special a few weeks ago...

There really are some gems and rare ones this week...can't wait

That AusMusic 80's night on Rage this weekend is better than anything I had hoped for. So many brilliant and rarely seen tracks have finally re-surfaced.

I requested Matt Moffitt - Miss This Tonight and they are playing it in the morning around the Request time, I wonder if my request wish has been granted. I did request it under my actual name so if it is the request it won't say Guru Bob, my alias will be blown.

A long weekend in front of the TV coming up. If this is what we are getting in November then how fantastic will January be.

Jason, I am hoping for the 1982 Eurogliders hosted episode of Countdown in January which has the clip for Without You on it. I had put forward a suggestion to put together episodes hosted by the Eurogliders as a theme and hope that Rage may consider this. I did suggest last year that they have a Christmas special so that we could see the 1983 Christmas episode and they did that so maybe I will have luck again.

Playing a few real gems in there, some i am interested in are:

MATT MOFFITT Miss This Tonight
MACHINATIONS Execution of Love
SPY VS. SPY One Of A Kind
VITABEATS Boom Box
GEISHA Part Time Love Affair
KOO DE TAH Too Young For Promises

Like what Jason said, pity they are playing common videos, would have been nice if they played these instead :

Wa Wa Nee - One & One or I Could Make You Love Me
Real Life - Openhearted or Catch Me I'm Falling [which they claim doesn't exsist in their library]
Pseudo Echo - Listening [U.S 87 Video clip]
Party Boys - Hold Your Head Up
Models - Hold On
Moving Pictures - Winners
etc etc.

Jason, maybe an idea, if we all suck up, demand etc etc for you as the maker of the Countdown site to guest program Rage, even if it was in January, "Fans Of Countdown", or something like that.

Imagine that, a full nights programming of clips we WANT to see played, not the common crap we get every 5 minutes on Music Max & VH1.

Stu, I LOVE your idea and I really WISH I could program one night at least in January!

I would cram in SOOOOOO much RARE 80's UK and OZ video's and HOT Episodes of Countdown!!!!!

Sigh...

Guru, no offence.

BUT if rage put your name on the bottom for Matt Moffit, i won't be happy. I want that video with as much clean as possible!

Glad that rage are playing my 2 requests "Execution Of Love" and "No Word From China"!!!!

Jason, how would you be, you can probaby fit in 15 or so video's per hour, say 6 hours worth, 90 Video clips!!!!!!!

Nice.

You mean 80's video's!.. NOT 90's! EWWWW

I still can't believe rage are playing Koo De Tah!

Would have LOVED Think Of Me the best, but one can't complain!

Least Koo De Tah made it!!!

Never thought they would out of ALL bands!!!!

I am still cut about Wa Wa Nee "Stimulation"... Anything but Stimulation would have been better.

And as far as PSeudo, HOW RIDICULOUS! Funky Town????!!!!! REALLY, how lazy is that ****!

I really wanted Shine from Kids In The Kitchen was well..

Overall, there are some gems there though, there is also some crap to, hahaha...

But here's to rage, some of THE best AUSTRALIAN Music video's and tracks from the 80's this weekend. No where else in the world would we get this opportunity to see some really RARE AUS 80's stuff.

Geez, the 90's next weekend are going to be ABSOLOUTELY DULL in comparison to this weekend!!!!!!

Let's see... Machinations or Silverchair????

HMMMMMMMM< hahahahahaha

Jason "The Moderator"
You mean 80's video's!.. NOT 90's! EWWWW

YES! Definatly 80's....typo.

There are 2 versions of Stimulation. Wonder which one we'll get.

Really?

2 video's?

Explain???

Does one have more Black & White footage than the other????

I have one of them on a DVD Compilation called "Pop Never Looked So Good" I think.

Which also has TIme Bandits and Til Tuesday on it...

Great to see Deckchairs Overboard included but I would have loved to see the clip for "Walking in the Dark",(or could have been "Carried Away") instead-vaguely remember seeing it played back in the early days of Rage. Such a good song!

Overall a great playlist but it would have been nice to see some less commonly played clips from bands like the Church and Divinyls-much as I like UTMW etc they've been done to death....

Version 1 of Stimulation is the original one that was played when it came out and only featured Paul & Steve. Version 2 is similar to I Could Make You Love Me in that it is mostly a performance clip featuring the whole band.

I knoiw that "I Could Make You Love Me" is alive video, taped it from Sounds in the 80's.

NOW, Stimulation. Are you saying that there is a video with just Paul and Steve with none of the female's in it???????

If so, I have NEVER seen it AND when rage last played it, it had the one with the girls in it...

The whole band performance version has snippets of the original clip in it and little black and white bits with Paul dancing with a girl who is also in the original clip.

Can only find the original clip on youtube which has Paul, Steve and a couple of girls. I recorded the other version off AMV in 2001 which has the whole band which if i remember one of them was Paul's brother

I have a copy of the 2nd clip on a promo video from Germany - CBS May 1987 releases. The 2nd clip was the international release video version.

I have only ever seen Rage play the original version.

There are also 2 versions of Suger free, the normal Aussie clip, and i guess the other was American made?

I have them both somewhere.

I assume we also know that there are 2 video versions of 'Sugar Free'? I have both. I prefer the original, which was shown on Countdown in the day and it's on a Sony compilation DVD.

I hope these rare vids, being played tonight, are the actual clips. I hope they don't take the live performance of a Countdown episode. I know they did that with one song last time, but they didn't mention that on the playlist. I see they have Jenny Morris' 'She Has To Be Loved' taken from Countdown Revolution. I just hope 'Boom Box' and others aren't Countdown performances.

With 'Miss This Tonight' do you think they took the video from the Countdown episode? Remember when they got Jacko's 'I'm An Individual' from Countdown and played it and they have done it with one or two since. But hey, at least they are tapping into more of the Countdown Archives and hopefully the rage crew are discovering more gems from Countdown episodes and hopefully they will play some great episodes in January.

Generally I think Rage have had a fantastic 2009 - one of their best years in ages.

I'm not sure whether this is due to new staff coming in or a new way of thinking but I - and I know everyone else - am loving it very much.

I reckon I can trace this 'new Rage' from mid last year when the guest programmers stoppped being from 'R & B, Hip Hop groups'. Not that they're completely awful but a wider variety as Rage have shown this year is what's needed to bring back some excitement and unpredictability to a long running show.

Tonight's special looks very appealing indeed and one hopes next Retro January will spring some very pleasant suprises....

Michael,

rage didn't take Matt Moffit from rage as you can tell, because the clip has the full fade out and very beginning...

An improvement on the first Oz music special.Glad to see a handful of my requests made the cut,but a little miffed they went for obvious choices with certain artists(too many to mention).

How could I forget Execution Of Love by The Machinations?Haven't seen that in decades and how gorgeous did Naomi Star look(the singer,not the other lady in the clip)?

Speaking of Naomi Star,can anyone shed some light on what happened to her after her time with the Machinations?I love her work on Big Music-top stuff!

Patrick
Generally I think Rage have had a fantastic 2009 - one of their best years in ages.

I'm not sure whether this is due to new staff coming in or a new way of thinking but I - and I know everyone else - am loving it very much.

I reckon I can trace this 'new Rage' from mid last year when the guest programmers stoppped being from 'R & B, Hip Hop groups'. Not that they're completely awful but a wider variety as Rage have shown this year is what's needed to bring back some excitement and unpredictability to a long running show.

I think you're right there - I've noticed a big improvement in Rage since around mid 2008, when the first Wild Card special aired. They seem to be digging more into their archives to dig out rare/less-common videos, which is great. There is still room for improvement though - often to me their choices seem somewhat lazy (e.g. airing Divinyls 'Pleasure and Pain' for the umpteenth time on the Oz 80s special rather than something rarer by them). Also, they seem to be taking our suggestions more on board than they have in the past.

I think some of the random specials have helped vary things up as well - e.g. the Let's Dance special - rather than guest programmer after guest programmer every week.