Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown Friday/Flipside

Having watched many a 1982/83 episode, there have been quite a lot of ads about Countdown Friday and Flipside.

I know there are a few of the Friday editions in the Rage archives - but do they all exist or only some?

As for Flipside - I'm assuming this was just another version of the Friday show or was it shown on another day - I can't remember that far back. Again does anyone know whether Flipside still exists in the archives?

How many editions of each were made and how many other Countdown 'side-projects' were there??

I'm in a very inquisitive mood today - seeing them listed has me curious!

Re: Countdown Friday/Flipside

Wasn't 'Flipside' where you could request a video to be played and you write it on the back of an envelope and post it to.... I remember in the mid 90's watching an episode from '82 or '83 and it said send your requests to....so for a bit of a laugh, I posted a request. Imagine the look on the faces of the poeple who now occupy that address. I know, I was being silly, but I wanted a laugh.

That was very devlish of you Michael - but amusing!

Yes I think you're right - Flipside was a request show - although I was wondering how long that and the Friday show went on for.

I'd also like to know how long the Saturday repeats lasted - the whole life of the show or just a few years? I remember it being repeated on a Saturday in the early 80's but not so during the later years...

Countdown Friday and Flipside were only short-lived - both were screened during 1982 and most of 1983 but were gone by the time 1984 came around. Countdown Friday doesn't seem to have very many surviving shows - one edition is listed as surviving in the database in the Countdown Yahoo group (as received from the ABC a number of years ago) whilst Flipside is not mentioned at all.

Fortunately I had a VCR back in 1982/83 and taped the Flipside request show a number of times. I kept all those tapes - must transfer them to DVD very soon. Some very rare clips never seen since from what I can remember.

Countdown Friday - a clips only show whereby a lot of material that could not be fitted onto the Sunday night show made it's appearance here instead.

Flipside - a request show. The persons name who made the request was usually flashed up on the screen during the clip from what I remember.

The Saturday repeats were a long-standing arrangement from the early years right through from what I remember. Don't think the last few years had them though I may be wrong.

Thanks for that info Brett - very interesting.

As you mentioned there doesn't seem to be many eps of Countdown Friday at all and none of Flipside which is a shame. Obviously both must have suffered from the infamous wiping practice.....or perhaps lost in the dark archives.

I definately recall the Saturday repeats from the late 70s' - early 80's but not so much in the latter years so I would presume they were stopped at some point.