Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown Sept 21 1986 - Show 527

Jason (and anyone else who cares).

I have just gotten hold of the program run down for episode 527 from Sept 21 1986. I didn't previously have this and just checked the lists in your archive and couldn't find it there either.

ID: 550539 - COUNTDOWN;SHOW 527 - PROGRAM
recording date: 19-Sep-1986
duration: 57.18
summary: MUSIC PROGRAM FEATURING MIX OF LIVE BANDS IN STUDIO AND VIDEO CLIPS AND INCLUDING TOP TEN
personalities: IAN MELDRUM, MOLLY MELDRUM, COUNTDOWN HOST;GAVIN WOOD, COUNTDOWN ANNOUNCER;HOODOO GURUS, BAND;DAVE FAULKNER, LEAD SINGER HOODOO GURUS;THE REELS, BAND;DAVE MASON, LEAD SINGER THE REELS;DRAGON, BAND;JEAN BEAUVOIR, SINGER;WHITE XMAS, BAND;UNCANNY X-MEN, BAND;BRIAN MANNIX, LEAD SINGER UNCANNY X-MEN
shotlist: 00.00 OPENING TITLES;00.33 FF#1 VS HOODOO GURUS LIVE IN STUDIO PLAYING "POISON PEN";04.28 VS MELDRUM LINK AND IV FAULKNER RE USA TOUR;05.43 VS AUSTRALIAN TOP 5 INCL FF#7 EXCERPT VIDEO CLIP "I COULD MAKE YOU LOVE ME" BY WA WA NEE;06.07 FF#1 VIDEO CLIP "NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE" BY CROWDED HOUSE;09.52 BREAKER;09.58 FF#8 VIDEO CLIP "WHAT'S THE COLOUR OF MONEY" BY HOLLYWOOD BEYOND;13.10 BREAKER;13.16 FF#2 VS REELS LIVE IN STUDIO PLAYING "BAD MOON RISING";16.335 MS MASON INTRODUCES USA TOP 5 INCL FF#11 EXCERPT VIDEO CLIP "STUCK WITH YOU" BY HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS;17.01 FF#7 VIDEO CLIP "JUNGLE BOY" BY JOHN EDDIE;20.11 BREAKER;20.15 FF#3 VS DRAGON LIVE IN STUDIO PLAYING "DREAMS OF ORDINARY MEN";23.48 MCU BEAUVOIR INTRODUCES CLIP;23.56 FF#9 VIDEO CLIP "FEEL THE HEAT" BY JEAN BEAUVOIR, CA CU IV BEAUVOIR BY WRITING SONGS AND IMAGE;27.33 BREAKER;27.39 FF#4 VIDEO CLIP "CALLING" BY ROSE TATTOO;32.08 VS WOOD AT INFLATION NIGHTCLUB INTRODUCES CHARTBUSTERS INCL FF#5 EXCERPT CLIP "MISSIONARY MAN" BY EURYTHMICS, FF#5 EXCERPT JOHN JUSTIN PLAYING "FLASH KING CADILLAC" IN COUNTDOWN STUDIO AND FF#7 EXCERPT CLIP "MAD ABOUT YOU" BY BELINDA CARLISLE;35.06 FF#6 VS WHITE XMAS LIVE IN STUDIO PLAYING "PEARL NECKLACE";39.21 VS UK TOP 5 INCL FF#11 EXCERPT CLIP "DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY" BY COMMUNARDS;39.43 FF#1 VIDEO CLIP "PRESS" BY PAUL MCCARTNEY;44.05 VS MELDRUM REVIEWS ALBUMS INCL FF#11 EXCERPT CLIP "IN TOO DEEP" BY GENESIS AND FF#10 BEHIND THE SCENES FOOTAGE SHOWING MAKING OF FILM AT DISNEYLAND FEATURING MICHAEL JACKSON;47.59 FF#7 VS UNCANNY X-MEN LIVE IN STUDIO PLAYING "DON'T WAKE ME UP";51.25 VS MANNIX INTRODUCES TOP TEN INCL FF#4 EXCERPT CLIP "TOUCH ME" BY SAMANTHA FOX, FF#8 EXCERPT CLIP "GLORY OF LOVE" BY PETER CETERA, FF#2 EXCERPT CLIP "HIGHER LOVE" BY STEVE WINWOOD, FF#7 EXCERPT CLIP "THE DEAD HEART" BY MIDNIGHT OIL, FF#7 EXCERPT CLIP "I COULD MAKE YOU LOVE ME" BY WA WA NEE, FF#8 EXCERPT CLIP "PAPA DON'T PREACH" BY MADONNA, FF#7 EXCERPT CLIP "TAKE MY BREATH AWAY" BY BERLIN, FF#7 EXCERPT CLIP "TRUE COLORS" BY CYNDI LAUPER, FF#5 EXCERPT CLIP "DANCING ON THE CEILING" BY LIONEL RICHIE AND FF#4 VIDEO CLIP "VENUS" BY BANANARAMA

Re: Countdown Sept 21 1986 - Show 527

COOL,

Where did you get this?

I have the performance of Feel The Heat by John Beauvoir somewhere from a friend. That would be from this show.

So this ep still exisits in the ABC?... Wonder why it wasn't in my Archives, go figure!

Does that mean that this episode is missing from the ABC archives?

Hi Guru Bob!
This episode looks a beauty-love to see this one again someday.Thanks for lettin' us know.

Actually, this one only has the video clip. The studio performance must be another episode...

Hi y'all

This episode does exist in the ABC Archives (several copies actually)

Thanks for teasing us "Other John"...

Several copies lying around the ABC isn't going to help any of us, if it isn't available.

It's a TOTALLY hopeless situation, archives being wasted and locked in the vaults to just die a lonely death!

Sorry, but it's the truth

The reason I mentioned this episode was that neither Jason - who had purchased all the Countdown program run sheets - or myself, who gotten them from a business partner of Gavin Wood, had that episode listing so I wasn't sure whether it existed or not. When I found it accidentally during a search I thought I would share the knowledge. All the other existing run sheets are in Jason's archives section of this site.

I have no information on episodes 240 (May 18 1980), 241 (May 25 1980), 279 (April 5 1981), 367 (April 24 1983), 368 (May 1 1983), 432 (September 2 1984), 515 (June 29 1986) or 520 (August 3 1986). I wonder if they all still survive?

Thanks for that data Guru. I wonder if otherjohn could confirm the existence of those other episodes in the ABC archives?

How should I'm going to go back in time by using a time machine, a VCR and a TV set and find episodes 240 (May 18 1980), 241 (May 25 1980), 279 (April 5 1981), 367 (April 24 1983), 368 (May 1 1983), 432 (September 2 1984), 515 (June 29 1986) or 520 (August 3 1986) by going to record the same eight missing/lost episodes on video?

Well if we're talking hypotheticals here...

If there was indeed a time machine - all one has to do is go back to the moment whoever demanded the tapes be erased and just say to them - 'Don't do it'!!

That way one saves on purchasing a VCR and hundreds of videotapes which would surely degrade thru too much travelling surely???

Seriously it's a tragedy the early shows got wiped and I do feel for 70's fans desperate to get them back again.

I'd know how I'd feel if the 80's ones were wiped and the 70's kept - I'd be shattered!

We discussed episode 527 Sept 21 1986 in 2009 so any information of interest should be in this thread - including the runsheet

They are probably playing it because it has the Reels live in the studio but I will enjoy seeing Hollywood Beyond and Jean Beauvoir clips.

Guru Bob
We discussed episode 527 Sept 21 1986 in 2009 so any information of interest should be in this thread - including the runsheet

They are probably playing it because it has the Reels live in the studio but I will enjoy seeing Hollywood Beyond and Jean Beauvoir clips.

Thanks! And your Reels theory is probably correct.

Do you know what's on the 1986 episode of Rock Arena airing, by any chance?

THANKS Nathan!!!!!!

Phewwwwwww, it's not bad. Could be worse ....

ohnoitisnathan

Do you know what's on the 1986 episode of Rock Arena airing, by any chance?

I don't have the runsheet for Rock Arena March 4 1986 but I imagine it will generally be a clip show with an artist feature as that is what they were doing at that time - there were often the odd rare clip thrown in so there might be an unexpected bonus.

very curious about the Rock Arena. They did play some very RARE more Alternative/Indie clips around the 1986 mark.

I HOPE their are some Dance videos in there, preferably Australian bands with hard to get clips!

Least we get ONE unrepeated Rock Arena this month xoxoxo

What will Suzanne be wearing

I have just realised, Rock Arena could be cut for Soccer, NOOOOOOOOOO!

So if anybody could tell me what the Bananarama clips are for on Saturday morning I would be grateful? I thought they might be hosting a show, but obviously not!!

Ha Ha

This episode was shown on my 19th Birthday. Memories....or not!

Lee
So if anybody could tell me what the Bananarama clips are for on Saturday morning I would be grateful? I thought they might be hosting a show, but obviously not!!

Probably 'Venus' being #1 on the 1986 episode.

I don't think there will be interview excerpts from The Meldrum Tapes, as I re-watched that last night and it is probably from later on, as they play 'More Than Physical' at the end, and that wasn't a released as a single here until November 1986.

Show not shown due to soccer running overtime. Did any state anywhere actually get to see it, I can only speak for Melbourne so far. Only chances maybe Adelaide or Perth given the time difference although generally the same Rage broadcast goes out everywhere.

Bummer.....

I quite enjoyed that episode.

Rare clips from Hollywood Beyond, Jean Beauvoir, Rose Tattoo and Paul McCartney. Uncanny X-Men were great live and good to see Dragon and Hoodoo Gurus as well.

Couldn't remember White Xmas or John Eddie at all, although after seeing them again after 29 years there is probably a reason why I forgot them.

Great way to wrap up Retro season. Thanks to those that petitioned for this episode to be shown.

'John Eddie' or should we say 'George Michael'! WTF was going on there? At first my brother thought it was Glenn Robbins trying to be a pop star.

Wasn't White Xmas studio performance of 'Pearl Necklace' shown on a Countdown episode last year or the year before? Maybe it was the clip or a different studio performance?

and yes...The Reels were on this episode. Loved how slow and melon collie the song is and Dave looking spaced out and the audience is clapping so fast like it's an upbeat pop song!

I always thought the video for 'Feel The Heat' had excerpts of the movie 'Cobra' with Sly Stallone. It's on the movie and always thought it was written for the movie?

Hey Jason, are you going to put together the playlist for 21/9/86 episode and add it to your archives page?

Thought I'd type it up and post it :

Year: 1986
Date: 21/9/1986
Show no:527
Summary:HOSTED BY MOLLY. MOLLY INTERVIEWS DAVE FAULKNER FROM HOODOO GURUS RE US TOUR. DAVE MASON FROM THE REELS INTRODUCES THE US TOP 5. BRIAN MANNIX FROM UNCANNY X-MEN INTRODUCES THE NATIONAL TOP 10.
STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
HOODOO GURUS – POISON PEN
THE REELS – BAD MOON RISING
DRAGON – DREAMS OF ORDINARY MEN
WHITE XMAS – PEARL NECKLACE
UNCANNY X-MEN – DON’T WAKE ME
VIDEO CLIPS:
CROWDED HOUSE – NOW WE’RE GETTING SOMEWHERE
HOLLYWOOD BEYOND – WHAT’S THE COLOUR OF MONEY (CHARTBUSTER)
JOHN EDDIE – JUNGLE BOY
JEAN BEAUVOIR – FEEL THE HEAT (INCLUDES INTERVIEW) (CHARTBUSTER)
PAUL MCCARTNEY – PRESS (CHARTBUSTER)
ROSE TATTOO – CALLING
TOP 3 SONGS HAPPENING ON THE DANCEFLOOR:
GAVIN WOOD INTRODUCES FROM ‘INFLATION’ NIGHTCLUB, KING ST. MELBOURNE.
EURYTHMICS – MISSIONARY MAN (EXCERPT) (CHARTBUSTER)
JOHN JUSTIN – PINK CADILLAC (EXCERPT)
BELINDA CARLISLE – MAD ABOUT YOU (EXCERPT)
HUMDRUM:
PAUL MCCARTNEY – PRESS TO PLAY (ALBUM REVIEW)
GENESIS – IN TOO DEEP (EXCERPT)
BEHIND THE SCENES FOOTAGE SHOWING MAKING OF FILM AT DISNEYLAND FEATURING MICHAEL JACKSON (NEWS FOOTAGE FROM CH.9)
NATIONAL TOP TEN:
10. TOUCH ME (I WANT YOUR BODY) – SAMANTHA FOX
09. GLORY OF LOVE – PETER CETERA
08. HIGHER LOVE – STEVE WINWOOD
07. THE DEAD HEART – MIDNIGHT OIL
06. WA WA NEE – I COULD MAKE YOU LOVE ME
05. MADONNA – PAPA DON’T PREACH
04. BERLIN – TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
03. CYNDI LAUPER – TRUE COLORS
02. DANCING ON THE CEILING – LIONEL RICHIE
01. BANANARAMA 'VENUS'