Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Live It Up:Australian Pop Of The 80's Vol.2

Hi everyone!
Those of you who loved "Counting The Beat:Australian Pop Of The 80's Vol.1" and need somethin' to fill the void now our "Countdown" fix from "Rage" is done for this year and this decade,look no further.Equally as good as "Counting The Beat"(despite some predictable selections,but there's a few that rarely make it onto 80's compilation CD's).Here's the tracklist-
CD 1
Live It Up-Mental As Anything
Girl On The Wall-Jane Clifton
After The News-The Reels
I'd Die To Be With You Tonight-Jimmy Barnes
Bad Habits-Billy Field
Young Years-Dragon
The One I Love-Mike McClennan
Two Strong Hearts-John Farnham
Words-Sharon O'Neill
I've Done Everything For You-Rick Springfield
Science Fiction-Divinyls
State Of The Heart-Mondo Rock
Some Kind Of Girl-The Cockroaches
Be Good Johnny-Men At Work
Waiting-The Dugites
Nobody Told Me-The Monitors
Bop Girl-Pat Wilson
The Party-Uncanny X Men
Two Faces Have I-Ol' 55
Hungry Town-Big Pig
CD2
He's My Number One-Christie Allen
Concrete And Clay-Martin Plaza
With Closed Eyes-The Expression
One Summer-Daryl Braithwaite
Love At First Night-Kim Hart
I've Been To Bali Too-Redgum
Motor's Too Fast-James Reyne
Blue Day-Mi Sex
Say I Love You-Renee Geyer
That's When I Think Of You-1927
Down On The Border-LRB
Gotta Be Wrong(Way To Love)-Dynamic Hepnotics
Carmilla-Jon English
If I Were A Carpenter-Swanee
Touch-Noiseworks
Winners-Moving Pictures
We Will Together-Eurogliders
Catch Me I'm Falling-Real Life
Bittersweet-Hoodoo Gurus
I Wish-Rose Tattoo

Cheers!

Re: Live It Up:Australian Pop Of The 80's Vol.2

COOL,

That is quite heavenly***

Um HELLO!

Kim Hart, The Monitors, Jane Clifton, Mi Sex = TO DIE FOR!... Can I buy this at JB???

Also, nice to see that my FAV Dugites track "Waiting" was included.

But I must ask, where is Beargarden?... where are The Venetians? ... HMMM

My fave Eurogliders track is on there too.."We Will Together"..song and video is the essence of mid '80s

I actually can't really watch the "We Will Together" video without feeling ill. Ugly Bernie and lovely Grace are literally having sex on that porch in that video. I am surprised that Countdown were allowed to play it!

I think it was a tad to personal for a pop video... It got a bit much seeing them 2 smootching in their video's, haha...

I am desperate for the "Without You" video, AMAZING!

Around that 1985 ers, I am a HUGE fan of Absolutely and City Of Soul...

I can't watch it without feeling blissful..not the part you mentioned lol..just the overall look of the video has a beautiful mid '80s feel. & i just love the song! better then Heaven imo.

Very underrated group are The Eurogliders

Indeed for sure that Eurogliders are underrated!

They are faborama ...

Hi Jason!
I picked it up from JB last Friday for $20.99.While I'm here,if you don't have "Counting The Beat:Australian Pop Hits Of The 80's Vol.1",would you like tracklist info on that?

Hey John,

I remember seeing the "Counting The Beat" compilation BUT can't remember what was on it. I am sure I loved some stuff on it. Please send a list here if you can!

Cool, will buy the new "Live It Up" one very soon!

How exciting, Kim Hart *** WOW!!!

Just noticed that it had The Expression on it, COOOOOLIES!

Wish so bad that it has "All I Do" by Brathwaite instead of the sickly "One Summer"... haha. OOPS!

My stereo had better watch out for Kim hart up FULL BLAST!

Anyone have the video to "Love At First Night"?

I WISH I DID!

Must add,

Forgot to say that $20.99 is MORE than amazing value for 2 cd's and some tracks that are impossible to get on cd!

Very impressive stuff, I can't wait to take this one home, can you tell I am excited???

HAHA

Hi again Jason!
Here's the tracklist for "Counting The Beat..."-
CD 1
Counting The Beat-The Swingers
True Love-Billy Field
As The Days Go By-Daryl Braithwaite
In Your Car-The Dugites
Jessie's Girl-Rick Springfield
Wait-Gyan
Made My Day-Tim Finn
Help-John Farnham
Can't Wait To See You-Eurogliders
Send Me An Angel-Real Life
Hot Town-Jon English
Compulsary Hero-1927
No Secrets-The Angels
The Night Owls-LRB
Miss This Tonight-Matt Moffitt
Dreaming My Dreams Of You-Colleen Hewitt
Falling In And Out-Mi Sex
My Baby-Cold Chisel
Maxine-Sharon O'Neill
Never Gonna Die-The Choirboys
CD 2
Singing In The 80's-The Monitors
One Perfect Day-The Little Heroes
Hold On-The Models
Lady What's Your Name-Swanee
Same Old Girl-Darryl Cotton
Cool World-Mondo Rock
Computer One-Dear Enemy
House Of Cards-Ganggajang
Overkill-Men At Work
Sweet And Sour-The Takeaways
Alone With You-The Sunnyboys
He's Just No Good For You-Mental As Anything
Sooner Or Later-The Innocents
I Am-Uncanny X Men
What About Me?-Moving Pictures
Strangers On A Train-The Sports
Soldier Of Fortune-John Paul Young
According To My Heart-The Reels
I Was Only 19-Redgum

Same deal as "Live It Up.."-some usual suspects there,but has a few that rarely get onto 80's comps.
Don't know what the chances are of both comin' out on DVD.Man,both have plenty of clips I've been chasin'.
Like Jane Clifton,The Monitors("Nobody Told Me"),Christie Allen,Kim Hart,Darryl Cotton,The Models,Rick Springfield("I've Done Everything For You"),Mondo Rock("State Of The Heart"),Uncanny X Men("I Am"),Redgum("I've Been To Bali Too"),Jon English("Hot Town"),Matt Moffitt,Mi Sex("Falling In And Out"),Swanee and Moving Pictures("Winners")
Far as I'm aware,its still available and might be at a cheaper price now than it was when I first bought it.
Hope this has helped-cheers!

Oops!
Left out Billy Field("True Love"),Ol'55 and The Reels("After The News")-sorry!

"Rain" by Dragon is on "Counting The Beat..." as well

Did it again-throw in Sharon O'Neill("Words")too.If I make anymore mistakes-I'm just gonna have to leave it for tomorrow to fix them up!

Soldier Of Fortune by John Paul Young = BLISS!

LOVE IT !

Sounds like a good compilation.

Videos are far harder to get onto dvd than music.

The rights issues for clips seem to have held up several dvds recently.

I've always disliked it when fans demand a certain video be put onto a compilation and the dvd producers end up putting some other song in its place due to copyright issues.

That's why seeing Countdown is great as they actually do show these videos or at least snippets of them - a real treasure trove for sure.

Demanding's one thing,but I wish they'd supply!!!

Some excellent songs and yeh videos are much harder to get. I can download many but some of the rarer ones are difficult to find. The Dugites In Your Car for eg would be virtually impossible to find unless someone uploads this comp

CTB is worth it just for One Perfect Day

Imagine if this "Live It Up" cd was turned into a dvd. Geez, that would be fantastique***

Hi Patrick!
Maybe I've took things the wrong way,but I was little p'd off by you sayin' you disliked those who demand certain videos for DVD release.
My wish for rare clips to be released on DVD's no different to anyone else's on this website,so I can't understand such a criticism-and I say this without bein' nasty or wantin' to spark a great debate on the subject.
Jason-saw a copy of "Counting The Beat.." at JB this mornin' and a little dearer than "Live It Up...".$27.99 from memory,but don't quote me on that!

Hi John

No what I meant was when fans demand certain videos, the dvd labels end up putting something else on contrary to fans wishes.

By all means anyone can ask for any obscure videos - makes things interesting.

If anyone took my comments the wrong way I apologise - fans should work together not in disharmony!!

Apology accepted Patrick!

Try YouTube, they're show Australian music video clips from the past.

Australian record stores are TOTALLY hopeless!

NO Live It Up cd at 2 JB'S today and nowhere to be found!

Chaos music is where I shall get my copy online, they send me my Real Life "Heartland" on cd after 2 days and The Reels. They are a good company indeed!

Hi Jason!
Just to let you know "Live It Up..." is out there-saw it today at JB Hi-Fi Glendale,along with "Counting The Beat..."(which they had for $20.99-cheaper than it was when I got it from there a couple of years ago.Never mind-got it and that's really all that matters),but if you've got it already,forget what I've just said!

Hi everyone!
I've a feelin' I've implied the likes of "Nobody Told Me" and "Girl On The Wall" are makin' their first appearances on an album like "Live It Up...",so I wanna clear things up-
"Nobody Told Me",I first go on "Living In The 80's" Vol.2(which sadly,didn't have as many volumes as the "Living In The 70's" CD's did-2 was as far as they got coverin' the 80's.Pity really!),while "Girl On The Wall" I got on an absolute cracker of a 2CD set Raven released called "Cool World:41 Essential Australian Rock Singles 1976-1986".
Apologies if I've been misleadin'
P.S.Correct me if I'm wrong,but I read somewhere(might've been from an '85 issue of "Rolling Stone") at the time of "We Will Together",Grace was seein' Crispin Akerman,the other guitarist and not Bernie Lynch.However,you're right 'bout the cringe factor with the clip-the look on Grace Knight's face when it was shown during her appearance on "Spicks And Specks" a couple of years ago said it all!

Hi Jason!
Have you picked up "Live It Up.." and/or "Counting The Beat..." yet?

In relation to live it up, can some of you guys tell me what the sound quality is like. Are they actual masters from the original tapes, or crappy copies from vinyl.

I recently bought Pseudo Echo's "Autumnal Park" from America, but the restoration was adhorridly shocking, as they simply played the vinyl record and burned it to disc. It was a genuine disc from Amazon. The sleeve work, cover, and the actual disc were professionally made, but the actual audio was so bad, like the stylus was worn and the vinyl not cleaned properly.

In particular with "Live it up", what's the quality like with Ol' 55's "two faces". Mike McClennon's "The one I love", The Monitors "Nobody told me", and Jon English's "Carmillia". Do they sound like they came from master tapes, or transferred vinyl?

Also, someone mentioned that Real Life's "Heartland" has been released to CD. Again, from the master-tape or from vinyl?

John,

NO!!!... I have been to many JB's and to Sanity and nobody has it! ,,, ARGH! Hopeless I telly you!
I will get it from Chaos Music online, they have it and deliver in 2 days!

Mark: Okay, Brian Canham told me that the MAster Tapes for Autumnal Park have been destroyed or lost. They actually got a sealed vinyl copy of Autumnal PArk and used that. You can tell on sections that it's from vinyl with some crackling. But hey, we must take what we can get.

I FINALLY got Real Life's "HEartland" on CD 2 weeks back from Chaos Music website. That one sounds more like Master than Vinyl. Only costed $25.00 with shipping and they are in Melbourne!

Hi Mark!
To these ears,it doesn't sound like the tracks on "Live It Up..." have been transferred from vinyl to CD

Thanks for the info. :) :). What a shame about Pseudo Echo's first album. I've think that somehow many master tapes got lost from 80's artists, as I do have other CD albums in my collection that sound like they come from vinyl. I guess considering the situation, they haven't done the sacreligious thing of applying "denoising" effects, in order of trying to remove extra noise. I've gottta give credit where due, and say it is one of the better vinyl to CD albums I've got.

Though not all, many of the tracks on the "Living in the 70's" discs from the nineties were very heavy on the "denoising" filtering, which made many of the tracks sound watery.

Knowing that now, I'll try ordering a copy of "Heartland" and "Live it up" at my local JB. Thanks

That's a shame about the PE album. Amazing that a master tape for a classic album can be destroyed or lost.

Music Stores here in Canberra are **** as well (including JB). The 'Live It Up' CD is nowhere to be found here. I will order it online too. However, they seemed to be stocked to the ceiling with that crap '101 80's HITS'....**** Off!

Hi Jason!
Don't mean to be a pest by askin' you again if you've picked up "Live It Up..." and "Counting The Beat..." yet

No, I have NOT, unfortunately!

I have searched everywhere for it. I am getting it online. As I am sick of the crap record stores this conunty has... ARGH*

Hi Jason!
If you've not gone online to get "Live It Up..." yet,would you like me to pick up a copy for you?
There's 2 copies at Westfield Kotara at the moment.
Even better-you can get CD's and DVD's transferred from another JB store to the one closest to you.
Whatever's easiest but if you've already ordered it online,it was worth a try

Oh Bless,

That's nice of you. Will let you know.

Hi Jason!
"Live It Up..." and "Counting The Beat..." are still at JB Hi-Fi Glendale if you want me to pick them up or wanna get them transferred from there to your nearest JB Hi-Fi-only takes about a week,if not that.Again,if you've already sorted both out,it was worth a shot.
Oh yeah-this might interest you,Gary and Mark,after you brought up Pseudo Echo earlier.Bought "The Essential Pseudo Echo" from JB Glendale today for $8.99.The packaging's nothin' to write home about,but here's the tracklist if you don't have this album and would like to get it-
Funky Town
Listening
A Beat For You
Dancing Until Midnight
Stranger In Me(Extended Remix)
Don't Go
Love An Adventure
Living In A Dream
Try
Fooled Again
Take On The World
Over Tomorrow
Funky Town(Dance Mix)

I wouldn't bother with the new Pseudo Best Of...

Best Adventures is MUCC better as it has lots of Autumnal Park stuff on it.

And better than that is the 501 Demo Sessions and Autumnal Park (AMAZING) on cd, for us die hard Pseudo Echo fans.

I WANt Love an Adventure (ORIGINAL) 1985 release on cd SO bad. Nearly won it on Ebay not long ago. It's to die for... As I am a fan of all the album trax (non single material on the 2nd album!

Hi Jason!
Apart from "Live It Up..." and "Counting The Beat...",are you still chasin' the 1st "Countdown One Hit Wonders" CD/DVD set?
Jb Hi-Fi Glendale's got it if you're still after it-saw it this mornin'

Picked up my copy today at J&B Hifi at the Strand, in Sydney's CBD. It was the last one. Excellent compilation, but geez, did I have to turn the base and treble down on my system when I played it. A little E Q-ing wouldn't of gone astray? Just tend to notice all these quibley things after playing music for 25+ years, or does our hearing change or something when we get older? :)

Highlights of the album:

2. Martin Plaza - Concrete And Clay
(Plaza suite has never been put to CD)
3. The Expression - With Closed Eyes
(Australian version not available on CD)
5. Kim Hart - Love At First Night
7. Mike Mcclellan - The One I Love
(was never available on CD)
11. Little River Band - Down On The Border
(original cold cut finish version)
(my LRB greatest hits (two CD set) has fading version)
12. Jon English - Carmilla (original version)
(all jon english comps featuring album version)
13. The Cockroaches - Some Kind Of Girl
(beside "12" compilation in 1987, this song or for that fact, the original album has never been released to cd)
14. Swanee - If I Were A Carpenter
(previously available on "Days gone by" Compilation, but intro of song was smothered by outro of previous track)
(original single version)
19. Ol'55 - Two Faces Have I
(previously not available on cd)

All the other songs I've either got on CD albums, or at least about five or six copies of the same track on other compilations. Same old record company dip-stick not doing any research.

I got the Countdown One Hit Wonders VOLUME ONE 2 weeks ago at Sanity, phew!

Hi Jason!
That's great to hear you found the 1st "Countdown One Hit Wonders" set-did you enjoy?
Had any luck with "Live It Up...' and "Counting The Beat..." yet?