Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can anyone help me with this song from Countdown?

Hi Everyone, Once on Countdown there was an Australian group with a song called 'Happy People'.Can anyone help me out with the band's name? As i think this was the only song that they released.

Re: Can anyone help me with this song from Countdown?

Hmmm... I can't think of any Australia bands in the Countdown era that did a song by that name, although Yazoo did do a song with that name in the early 80's.

Thank you for the reply. But i'm certain about this band being on Countdown. The singer of the band looked a bit tall and lankey, he was wearing some sort of bottle rimmed glasses. As usual the song was touted to be a hit by Molly. I think there name was an abbreviation. The chorus sort of went like:

happy peopllllllle
happy peopllllllle
happy people laughing to themselves

I think i may have stumbled across the band name for this song. They were an Adelaide band called 'F.A.B' and the song was called 'Happy People'.All i have to do now is track the song down. Hopefully ABC will play the Countdown episode with the video clip or live in studio performance in January. Fingers crossed!

What year is this song?... I am curious to hear it!

I suggest you request it on the rage guestbook.

If you know what year it is, I can look in my archives and try to find the show or shows it appeared on!

Hi Jason, would you believe that i found the single at my local 2nd hand record store. What luck! It was released in 1985 and produced by Eddie Raynor of Split Enz and Crowded House fame. I can see why it didn't chart well, as it's more Alternative Pop, but it's a catchy tune. I can post it here ,if you want to download it for a listen?

I think I remember F.A.B. (I'm also from Adelaide), but can't say that I remember that particular song. There's a passing mention of the song at this page:
http://www.adam.com.au/drobinson/articles/1980s.htm

I can't remember the single, although I have just found I do have it in my collection (I once bought about 2,000 singles from Jim Keays' - ex Masters Apprentices - from when he was a radio DJ in the mid 80's)

FAB performed Happy People on Countdown on episode 469 July 7 1985 on an episode hosted by Angry Anderson in his Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome gear.

Hope this is of use.

Thank you Guru Bob for the information. I will keep an eye for that episode.

I have the original clip on VHS somewhere, recorded from a show in Adelaide called Top 40 Video which, as the title suggests,counted down the top 40 songs every Saturday morning.If anyone knows where i can get a copy of this song on CD i would like to know