Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parts lost at rebuiilders

Help - Help - Help
We took our spare 1922 Durant motor to a good rebuilder friend of ours about 3 years ago. He said he had rebabitted the mains & rods and so I paid him. Then he was going to rebuild the engine for me. I had bought a rebuild kit (Pistons, Rods & Bearings) and my friend was going to complete the rebuild. Suddenly, the poor chap died. Good friends found most of my materials and I picked them up a couple of weeks ago. However, the engine was sitting on the honing machine. When we got it home the upper middle crankshaft bearing was missing. Nobody can find it. Don't know where it could be. I was at the machine shop and looked all over. If we can't get a replacement, then this motor assembly is toast. I am throwing this out to our whole group. Maybe someone has a middle crankshaft bearing.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd, Leaside, Ontario, Canada

Re: Parts lost at rebuiilders

If the honing machine has an oil tank have someone search in the oil. It might have fallen out during the honing.

Just a thought......

Gord, Not sure that I am completely following you...Did your machinist rough cast your bronze main shells to an undersize then set-up and line bore with main bearings torqued in place? Parts book looks like the rods are cast, no insert....Anyway, if push comes to shove I could probably dig a center main bearing out of an old block and you could possiably get it cast? But then if you were to do that could you bore the center bearing alone and would it align with the front and rear bearings?? I have a couple of those old line boring tools, however they went through a flood in '95 and I haven't gotten up nerve to take the tops off the crates to check them out, probably still have fish swimming around in there.

When are you going to be in Seattle?

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Bill:
I am leaving for Seattle tomorrow morning. Will be there until the 18th.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd, Leaside, Ontario, Canada

Hi Gord,

If you can make the trip over to Leavenworth we would love to have you over for a visit, Bjorg's brother Trond is here from Norway for a coupla weeks but that shouldn't be a problem....928-271-1293 or 509-763-3748

Hope to see you.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club