Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1926 Locomobile junior parts wanted

Thanks for that. I found Lance at Lchabot1@cox.net. Does anyone know of interchangeablity of axles shafts?

Where Are You From? ithaca ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Locomobile junior

Thank you Kenn. I tried 1chabot1@cox.net as well trying to make out my scribbling from 2008 when he gave me his home and work numbers as alternatives. So the 1 should have been an L. which makes sense. I will sure kid him about all this.

That also hit my mind if one of the members has an interchange / cross reference book to see what other vehicle(s) might have the same axle. The repro Chilton book on eBay covering 1927 - 1933 does mention axle shafts but not one word covering Loco's anywhere in it. As an example the 675 De Vaux to car number 2633 has same axle as the 407, 610, 611, 612, 614, 618, 619 Durant's and E 618 / E 670 and 685 to car 1202 Frontenac's. Of course I filled in the Canadian cars 611, 618 D's and F's as Chilton is US but the Leaside aftermarkets gave me those.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

wondering if any Durant owners might have a loose axle shaft to compare. to Start,Mine is 36 and 1/2 inch from spline to tip of thread

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Locomobile junior and 1931 Durant Deluxe roadster

My parts book shows M,M2,M4,40,R,55,60 all shared the same rear axle.
My spare is 30 1/2 inches from tip to tip.

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Delivery Van

I checked overall measurement 30.5 inches

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Locomobile junior and 1931 Durant Deluxe roadster

Ken could you check your parts book to see if the same axle will fit the durant 614. there is one on ebay that i would buy as a spare or modify for the locomobile

Here's the pages out of 1935 Leaside and 1927 - 33 Chilton .. I doubt you could use other than the axles shown in other models.

IMG-3
IMG-3-0001

thanks Norm

The axle Part number for the 614 is #40559.
The Part number for the M,M2, M4,40, R,55 and 60 is #21128 so not compatible.
Good luck in finding a spare.

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Delivery Van

Finally got home to reference books. The 8-66 jr shares the same axles as the model 8-70 and 8-80. I will contact ben, a locomobile owner and see if he has a axle for you. I referenced the repair manual and no numbers were referenced. Most of the interchangeable reference book do not include locomobile. I will contact you one way or another on my findings.

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? locomobile,flint,durant

Thank you . i eagerly await your reply

Thanks Mike ... it hit me a few min ago my 1927 Dyke's might have info on the axle as there is one section near the back Mechanical Specifications of 1927 Gasoline Passenger Cars .
It done with 4 cyl, then 6 cyl, and finally 8 cyl. Both the 48 and 90 6 cyl are mentioned and 66 and 80 8 cyl. Unfortunately it doesn't cross reference parts. Under rear axle Type and Make it says 1/2 (type) and Salisbury as the maker for the 66 and 80 8 cyl. The 6 cyl is also 1/2 and no make shown for the 48 but Adams for the 90.

Doesn't help much I'm afraid. Under 8 cyl ... Elcar 82 and 90 used Salisbury. Roamer 78 and 80 and Paige 85 also did. But as I said there is nothing to say those are same as Loco.

For the 1927 Star 4 and 6 owners the axle type is 1/2 (?) and maker is its own.

Should have read further as 1/2 is semi floating. Few cars are 3/4 and a few FF.

I ran into the same thing a few years back going after a Hollander Interchange book covering our cars and before buying, asked what there was on De Vaux. Nothing. Thought it strange seeing as De Vaux is US and it covered Durant in the same time period. Same thing happened on another Hollander. I was hoping to see how much Durant / De Vaux was the same. Be even more dandy if some book included our cars as well. Then we could say 680 De Vaux / 685 Fronty / 633 Durant all used X parts. Durant / De Vaux / Dominion Motors were very much welded to one another.

The rear end is a Salisbury. Checked in with Ben and he has a chassis of a locomobile model 80. He doesn't want to part with axles. I try a longshot by calling a guy who was trying to sell a Jr parts car. This was 8 months ago.

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint,locomobile and durant

Thanks for checking. i went to a machinist today and he is going to splice a splined end back on the broken axle then I'm having him make two new axles out of 4140 steel. I don't trust that the old ones will hold up.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club