Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Headlig lens and bezels

Be careful Mike ... this partial listing doesn't show the painted lights for 65 if you are seeing black paint inside. Like the Leaside aftermarket shows the 65 can be 9 1/2 or 10 1/2 light / doors. Bill's shows both also. Note Leaside says 9 1/2 door is nickel plated and 10 1/2 is chrome plated. The 9 1/2 bucket is nickel per Leaside.

Note the deluxe 65 in Brazil has painted pots and nickel doors. Your 65 seems to have same thing.

Its unfortunate the US aftermarkets on lamps says nothing at all for lamps, and cowl lamps is hard to find on page 22 but is just a mention "Cowl, Side Lamps, with brackets, black and chrome Per pair 90 cents. Tail Lamps get same small mention and all models $1.85.
Leaside devotes two pages to headlights / tail lights / cowl and fender lights.

That's great Jim .. sometimes things just fall into place.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

This is a good example of mis info from period books, and why you need to do proper research what our vehicle originally had. Bill's list shows errors lumping our cars under part 25240 Glolite instead of 43637 Hall Depress Beam. Why they have two lines for 25240 ?? That gives the outside diam of the 944-GL for 614 and line above gives inside diam of same lense on the other models, even if wrong models like Fronty and 31 / 32 Durant / Rugby Can. Again don't take this list either as correct as errors jump out, models missing. It might be same idea as the Continental engines info done in the 60 / 70's ?? and re published in two Partner mags a year or so back that was incorrect.

Durant_lenses

First off the 65 and 75 are 1928 and one lense used was the 944-GL That one quoted might be the 10 1/8 Glolite lense.
Next line has these models coming out 1929, 30, 31. Nope not 1929 but 30 / 31 US and missing 406, 407. Plus 1930 Canada 406, 407, 614, 615 using 944-GL
617 line should say Twilite lense not Glolite (I don't know lense number for the 10 1/8 lense).
Next line they copy the other line and say Canada only 1931 / 32. We didn’t make the 610, 612, 619 and it should say 406, 407, 416, 611, 614, 615, 616, 618, 633 that used the 11471 Hall Depress Beam

Now drop to Durant Truck which should say Rugby not Durant.
1930 617 ?? No 617 truck made, its a car and mentioned above with its incorrect lense. Also the truck info is already is under Durant even if incorrect that it should be as I stated US 30 – 31 / Can 30 944-GL and 31 –32 Can as 11471-H

We picked up on vin books being incorrect saying the 1933 Ace and Frontenac Ace are model 81. Thanks to Daryl owning Aces but one a Frontenac Ace that constant myth was wrong. The Frontenac Ace is 91. Hayes body plates US are 181 but 191 Can. VIN plates on both show 81 or 91 as model. There was an very rusty Ace on eBay about a year back in the US but it had the Hayes plate 191 proving it was a Fronty Ace.

Its like the slogan "Buyer Beware" when using info other sources. Or "Measure Twice, Cut Once" if you don't do check first what was used. Makes it even more awkward when each US plant did its own thing and Can used other parts as well on same models. The beehive lense is a good example used some 28 / 29 plus 1931 US however all 1930 - 32 Canada Durant / Frontenac. US had winter front rads and not even an option here. Head lights as stated is another example 31 US and 31 Can on D's and R's.

Super nice set of 29 Durant headlamps, complete, on Ebay. Best I've seen in a long while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-1929-Durant-Headlights/273128126552?hash=item3f97b47858:g:kykAAOSweq5auDhG&vxp=mtr

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Very interesting posts Bill and Norm. My model 65 came with, and I believe them to be the original ones on the car a set of nickel or chrome glo-lites. These also have the small parking lite bulbs inside the reflector and a diffuser or piece of copper with a cup that extends from the top to the bottom of the reflector that was gold plated. Some years ago I went through the same thing, as I contacted Carol our Editor who sells lenses for a lot of different cars and purchased a set of glo-lite lenses from her. She looked them up and her books, whatever they were, showed the 10 1/8 lens. When I got them back from Auburn that year, they were the wrong size for my buckets and I had to exchange them for the 9 7/8 size. If you watch EBAY Durant lenses come up there from time to time. Since the time I bought them from Carol I have even found the glo-lite ones and I do think they are the 944 GL lenses.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

I saw the lenses on Ebay and they are nice. I will probably go with clear lense as suggested by Norm and Bill. I have a stain glass window maker as a neighbour who can cut them for me.

Jim

Hi Mike .. will this help you with your decision ... Think you mean 9 7/16 x 8 1/2 944GL where the 10 1/8 is 988GL. If you have 9 7/8 it won't fit the 9 1/2 door ha ha. Odd the R was nickel plated but when it became the 55 Jan 1 1928 it was chrome plated as are the other models except the 65 which also came out Jan 1 1928.

This is out of our Leaside catalogue showing the 65 as nickel plated lights with the 9 7/16 lense. The 65 has its own rad and rad shell but doesn't say if nickel or chrome plated. Cowl lights 65 / 75 can be 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 outside diam but don't say nickel or chrome plated. This I think is a clue. Few lines down 75 is by itself saying 4 1/2 chrome plated. That to me is saying the others are nickel plated. ah ha taillights 65 / 75 are nickel plated but 75 can be chrome plated. I think your 65 is on its own with nickel plating everywhere.

IMG_3

Yes nice looking lights but not Durant. Depress Beam used at Dominion Motors 31 - 33 but not Durant Motors vehicles. None of our lights have that raised tail on the upper bucket nor that door top. Doors on ours are 9 3/4 outside dia. for Depress Beam.

Looking at cars they appear to be REO Flying Cloud

Yes Norm,

I noticed that as well, I was looking all through our photo page and couldn't find any match, they are the ball type but have a raised trim strip on the top..... 1930 407 was the only thing that had came close, they have something raised on the door?.... I haven't looked at other brands.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I think those Headlights on Ebay are 1932 Packard.....Their is a pair on Ebay that look the same but are not as good of shape and the guy is asking $1200.00 bucks....So If I am right someone could buy the set of "Durant" listed Headlights and re-list them and make a proffit of over a thousand bucks...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Packard-Antique-Brass-Era-Depress-Beam-C-M-Hall-Headlights-Headlamps-31-33-/322847216661

Hi Bill .. the eBay 1932 Packard ones have same idea but wider at 10 7/8 than the other eBay pair at 10 inch. Fastening part is completely different as well. Is it my imagination that the pricy lights don't match ? One has painted fastening area the other chrome. Google images show the 1930, 31, 32 Packard's with same idea maybe lesser models might have the 10 inch lights and fastening like our 1930 - 32 lights ??

I knew I had seen those 10 inch lights somewhere but off what ? First thing came to mind was Desoto but couldn't find any on Google images of Desoto with them. Tried a few more makes with same results. Hit the 1929 Reo Flying cloud and sure looks the same idea but ??
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1929/reo/flying_cloud/100953893

If we knew the lense size and Don's Bulbs site was still up with the 1937 book, it probably would give us an idea what vehicles used that lense size to narrow it down.

Our 30 - 32 Durant can have the peak adornment which mirrors the 3 spears motif found everywhere on the 1930, rad cap, crank hole cover, in and out door handles, robe rail ends, pull straps fastenings, dash spears, 614 with spear hood vents, some like my old 614 Special had stainless steel V strips on the rad front. Our 1930 407 had plain handles similar, but not same, as US 1931 619. I understand the Oakland 407 used the 614 spear handles. Less spears on the 31 / 32. My 32 only rad cap and crank hole cover with spears. 1930 Essex inside handles, 32 Durant only, but outside handles I haven't uncovered what. 619 in same boat with cap only and V rad that won't take the flat crank hole cover. One of the Durant upgrades 1931 model year starting Jan 1 1931 different dash plate, pulls, handles, etc.

You could also buy the peak adornment's to add to your lights. Butters boys cast them. Drill a hole in your door tops and attach them, same as factory.

Norm,

I think it's back to the drawing board for both of us.....It looks to me that the '29 Cloud has more of a "teardrop" shape, rather than the ball shaped "Durant listing" also that ornimatation on the top of the headlight door I think is slightly different.....On the '32 Packard lights the Ball shaped buckets and headlight doors look identical to the "Durant's", but like you say the mounting is different....Who knows how the seller may have measured the Durant listed lights (maybe inside the door rather than overall?).....Both the packard lights look the same to me other than one is held together with duct tape,...Imagine $1200.00 and held together with Duct Tape!!

About a 100 years ago I owned both a '29 Flying Cloud and a'29 Wolverine....I spent my whole income tax refund ($800.00 dollars) to pay for the Cloud....Didn't have any room in the garage for either of them so threw some plastic over them and they sat in the driveway over the winter...The next Spring the wife goes Yak Yak get them the H out of here...So thought I would sell the low end Wolverine and keep the Cloud...A young feller came by to look at the Wolverine and I made the mistake of letting him see the Cloud, so now he didn't want the Woverine he had to have the Cloud...After he pestered me for about a half hour I threw out a rediculous price of $1600 dollars (twice what I paid) to get rid of him...Well, he said I'll be back....That kid went to his folks, his aunts and uncles, anybody he could think of and came up with the rest of the cash that he needed to buy the car....I would guess that Flying Cloud would be worth a few sheckles today..

I can't even mail the seller of the duct tape lights to find out what lense size or that those are not Durant. If a seller on eBay sells US only eBay blocks Canada from even asking a question. This started in Fall of 2017 when I was after info on some dishes that matched my late wives set. Doesn't matter if its eBay.com, eBay.ca or eBay.uk. Actually the items won't even show up on eBay.ca at all. Had to have one of our US DMACer's go after it for me.

Oh well we know the lights are not ours. As the Packard slogan goes "Ask the man who owns one" on the lights. Wonder if its the duct tape that set the high price. ha ha.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club