Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear Spring Shackles

Jim,

Are you positive that your upper pins are not just tight in the casting? I am not sure about the D-60 but when I replaced the Tryon shackles in my '31 chrysler to the later rubber bushing type I had to machine a special tool to fit over the tapered pin then heat the casting then back-up the back side of the casting then hammer the H out of them to get them to move..They were tight, tight, tight...My better option may have been to heat the casting hot then let it cool completly before driving.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '25 Flint H-40 2door / '25 B-40 Touring / '29 D-40 Coupe / '23 A-22 Touring

Jim, the top pins are removable. Yours are just a bit stuck! Mine were tight but finally came out.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Bill & Don

Thanks for the info i'll have a closer look at those pins I made a tool to press out the bottom pins but broke it trying to remove the top pins

Jim

Where Are You From? Walnut Creek CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-60 Coupe

Chevrolet used similar pins in 1930 and 1931. If they match then repops are available.

Where Are You From? OShawa, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Just wanted to give an update on my rear spring shackles
Yes the pins are removable I had to remove the units and bring them to a machine shop where they had to press them out guy said they were in there very tight.
thanks for all the input I now have a good set of spring shackles

Where Are You From? Walnut Creek CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-60 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club