Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MG-4004 autolite starter

When the starter gear engages the flywheel it will never retract until the engine starts and the flywheel overrides the starter gear spinning it back to the parked position. Also, make sure the starter is properly positioned on the dowel pin.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Another thing to check is the condition of the flywheel ring gear itself, I believe on a 4 cylinder engine the flywheel has a tendency to stop in one of two places, on a 6 cylinder engine one of three places.... The teeth can get worn badly in those areas and the lead angle of the tooth becomes blunt causing the starter pinion gear to either spin and not index or it can jam and stick....If this is the case it may be possiable to remove ring gear and rotate 90 degrees.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '25 Flint H-40 2door / '25 B-40 Touring / '29 D-40 Coupe / '23 A-22 Touring

Thank you to everybody that gave suggestions. I'm understanding the flywheel. And gear will mesh until the engine starts and the design sends it back on the spiral shaft. I read through many years of the forum and am thinking my problem is back to non igniting of fuel in combustion stroke. I made sure flywheel is aligned dead center with 2nd valve closed and distributor aligned to cylinder 1 ... watched it all day and realised the starter dogs down quickly without starting but taking the wires off the foot switch and turning over the starter it whirls very quickly. First problem resolved in the foot switch shorting out to drag down the starter. .
I will still buy a new battery but will fiddle with testing spark again . Have new coil,plugs ,wires, and distributor. Wondering if the distributor should have different gear after reading past forum. What is the correct number of teeth for a star? Twelve?

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star sedan

Debbie: From what you describe as your issue with the starter, I believe the problem to be the bendix itself. The parts to the bendix are the helical splined shaft (in your case the starter motor shaft itself), the drive gear that mates with the flywheel ring gear, and the associated spring assembly on the end shaft. With these parts dismantled, check the sliding resistance between the gear and the splined shaft and see that it moves freely (very important!). If high sliding resistance, clean with solvent to remove any grease, dirt, etc from the shaft and gear splines. Assemble using a graphite based lubricant (ie lock ease)or similar lubricant. Any grease you put on it will collect dirt and eventually create the same issues. Let us know what you find and your outcome.

Rick: It would be beneficial to move this to the General Discussion forum

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I have found there isn't any grease on starter to make the gear stick. I can easily turn it backwards by hand and the gear retracts. I'm sure when I get the car started the gear won't be an issue. The foot switch seems to be the problem causing the starter to drag. Just not enough voltage to leak through the foot switch and turn over the motor fast enough. I think I'm going to clean the distributor contacts and see if that creates more spark to the plugs. Thanks again to all who take the time to reply to everybodies posts to get the ole cars running again.

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club