Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Right side door latch wanted ... Or the flat spring that would repair mine

After searching for a solution to my broken flat spring, I found the funniest solution ... At least for awhile,
I simply found a large diaper pin and Bent it to fit and put a ceramic tube to keep it from falling under the mechanism.and put it back together. I found spring stock at brownells gunsmith supply on line and a tutorial to heat treat . This will be another project for this year. I do wonder how long this diaper pin fix will last.

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Sedan

Debbie, where are you located? Are you close to Grand Rapids? If you knowt where
North Western Auto Supply in GR is. I took my door latch there and they had the
Spring that was needed and installed it for me. To install the spring requires
a lot of pressure.
Ken Brink

Where Are You From? Muskegon, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Duranta22

I live about 2 hours away from Grand Rapids but I will check with them . Inside this latch there are 2 springs inside. the one that I broke is very simple to replace after the back plate is removed . It is flat stock bent to look almost like a j and the function is to simply push the latch back out to catch into the frame to keep the door closed and the other spring looks a bit trickier to replace . I will take a picture with the back plate off to show everybody and get more feedback

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club