Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ring gear

Anyone have a hot tip on where to find a ring gear for my 1923 A-22? Or a part number perhaps? Does anyone know of another application possibly using the same ring?

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: ring gear

Hello Todd
I would examine your flywheel, I think you will find that the ring gear and flywheel are one piece.
So the easiest route would be a different flywheel.
But then you can also repair (weld) the four or so teeth that are bad, since the engine almost always stops in the same place.
Since the ring gear, flywheel are one piece... there is no ring gear or part number for such. Not that you can't locate an aftermarket ring gear and have your flywheel turned down to accept the new gear. But this is something I would want to avoid.

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3- A-22, B-22, 633

Bob-
Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of getting an original A22 engine I brought back from Canada refurbished and installed in my car to replace the W4 Star engine it came to me with. The W4's flywheel (as well as a W5 with flywheel that I have) seems to be as you say: all one piece. However, when dropping my engine at my machinist yesterday, I noted that the ring gear on the A22's flywheel appears to be removable. Could the previous owner have retrofit a later Durant flywheel? The clutch assembly/etc looks correct to me. Are the Star W4 and W5 flywheels interchangeable to the A22? I worry about finding someone to rebuild the teeth for me...

Hi Todd....

One of the old "tricks" we used on farm tractors was to heat the gear and remove it, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it. As Bob said, the flywheel tends to stop in the same place, so this was effective.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

Frank-
Ah, good idea on a relatively easy fix. I wondered too if I could just flip the gear around so the other (good) side was forward?

Todd....

As long as the teeth are straight cut and don't have a bevel, the gear could be flipped. I can't remember if the A-22 is that way, but the W-4 and W-5 are beveled on one side only.

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

Todd, do not invert the ring gear front to rear because of the bevel ground on the teeth to facilitate bendix engagement.
Four cylinder engines will stop in only two locations. Any damage on the ring gear will also be found exactly opposite. Mark and rotate the ring gear 90 degrees, either direction to obtain a fresh set of teeth on cranking.
Ring gear #26765 is used on all W4, W5, and 14L's.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club