Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starter Bendix Not Returning

I've got a 24 Star with a 60s Chevy Truck Transmission to an M4 engine. Normally it starts great, but....

I've started to have a problem with my starter gear not returning back to the original start position.

What's Happening: More frequently now (every other start), the starter gear doesn't return far enough back to be out of the way of the flywheel. When I try to start, it grinds.

What I Did: Though too much friction to return and greased. No change. Though the spring was too weak to pull back - replaced with brand new starter spring from a model T

Starter Spring and Bendix photo photo1.jpg

Any ideas?

Where Are You From? New England

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Star Speedster

Re: Starter Bendix Not Returning

First thing to do is check to see if the dowel on the side of the starter and cradle is in place. This dowel will properly align and space the starter and also keep it from rotating in the mount.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Re: Starter Bendix Not Returning

I have been intermittently having this same problem. I've rebuilt and replaced my Bendix with some success. In interested to see what you figure out.

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club