Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
axle for Mod 70

As we disassemble the car it's mysteries are grudgingly revealed.

Like that bent stub of threads on the right rear axle.

My instinct tells me that straightening it is best left to the pros. I fear that if I do it I won't get the hardness right. I hate it when that happens.

Does anyone have an axle for sale or know a trustworthy forge?

Good luck to us all,

Arthur

Where Are You From? Heathsville, VA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Mod. 70 Deluxe

Re: axle for Mod 70

Hello Arthur!

This is not a problem to straighten. The threaded portion should not be hardened. You can test it by using a file and see if it cuts the metal. If a file can cut it you are good to go.
You sound like you have done this before so I don't have to go in extreme detail. To avoid damaging threads use an old nut and thread as far as you can by hand and then lock it in a vise. Apply heat to the bent area (Orange preferred) and slowly bend opposite the bent direction. SLOW COOL.
Roll it on a table and check for runout. Re-bend as necessary. After all the heating and bending run a die down the threads to clean them up. A buddy with a lathe would make this easier!

Let us know how you did!

Bill

Where Are You From? Indiana

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star Six Rumble Seat Roadster & 1927 Star Six Coupe

Re: axle for Mod 70

Arthur, if you can't fix the axle, try Vintage Auto Parts-they show a listing for axles for Model 70-Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 60

The Durant Motors Automobile Club