Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
starting handle

HI from uk

i have a 1932 619 and am looking for a starting handle for it. have tried ebay and other sites but no luck
would be great if anyone has one for sale

hope to hear from you soon

glen durant

Where Are You From? stourbridge United Kingdom

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 durant 619

Re: starting handle

Hi Glen,

I have a 619, but I'm not sure about what you mean by starting handle?
Mine starts with a push button.

Rick Botti
rick@botti.us

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

I'm pretty sure he means a crank.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Yep crank handle sometimes called starting handle in the UK
same thing

from near Birmingham England

Where Are You From? stourbridge United Kingdom

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 durant 619

I can send dimensions of my crank handle. It's just a 'S' shaped 1 inch steel rod with a pin in one end. Probably cheaper to make one than to ship to the UK. Do you just want one to complete the factory supplied set of tools? I don't know if a 6-19 would have to be longer since it has a "grille" compared to my 6-14. Perhaps Rick Botti could answer that since he has a 6-19. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

I have a 6-14 crank I do not need.....gary k

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

I was told a Chevy crank handle was same thing. I assume Rick saying a push button is the floor starter button. Still trying to figure out what the dash push button left of steering column is on a number of dashes I have seen on DeVaux and 614's. Mine has the hole where one was.
Can't imagine anyone using a crank to start a 22A. Takes all your strength to even turn the engine half a turn.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

No floor starter on my 619 like my 29, the push button on the dash is the starting button.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

That's interesting Rick. I looked at the 619 brochure and last thing on lift is the key. No dash button. My 32 614 has the foot start button as described in the 1930 614 owners manual but also that unknown dash hole to left of where key should be. (Someone switched cig lighter and key positions).

I will send you a pic of a deluxe 30 614 with the button on the dash. Its only recently I have seen a couple of car pics with the unknown button. One was a DeVaux and I think Bobs 633 has both floor starter and unknown dash button.

I wonder if it might be a test thing on a few cars. Or could they have been a later addition in the 40's by some jobber co. Just drill a hole in your dash and install this handy push button starting switch. I believe father in laws old 48 Dodge still had floor starter button. Did your 619 have the orig front foot boards still ? After market catalogues just say starting motor switch .. all models. Its very reminiscent of a construction engine where they turned the key and pushed a button to start.

I have a hand crank for a 4cyl I am selling. Also most engine parts. Motor is good has compression

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400602858168?item=400602858168&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

There's a correct handle for a 30 - 33 Durant and possibly earlier models. Been on ebay since 2011 at way to high a price for a $10 crank.. 220974678414
This one was part of a 1930 614 deluxe sedan in Maine and seller is in NH. I bought the four shocks, links and link plates off Joe for the 32. He still has fenders, hood, wheels etc also since 2011 on ebay at too high a price.

There's a pic of the Star crank handle under Tech page Star manuals, Rick put there from Steve Large. Its similar to the 30 - 33 type just more right angled.

Thanks for the info,Last shot at selling the parts as I hate to take it to the scrap yard but will next week.

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

The Durant Motors Automobile Club