Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wooden body frame parts needed.

Model 70, Sedan; body wooden frame parts needed. I saw, some time ago, that someone, in California I think, had made an extra set of body parts for a Mod 60, or was it something else.

Anyway, if any of you gentlemen can help with a lead on where to get such things, please e-mail or call me.

Whatever info; the car is currently in northern California. Needs wooden body parts, tires, wheel repairs, upholstery on the seats, carpet, a few other things. the chrome was recently redone, (thanks to Lance)

Where Are You From? Heathsville, VA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Mod. 70, Deluxe Sedan

Re: Wooden body frame parts needed.

Art.
Unfortunately nothing except a model 70 car parts will fit your big car. It is so much bigger and the pieces are bigger and different shapes. New pieces need to be made from you old existing pieces. I know it is difficult and time consuming, but most of your wood is actually all there, at least it was when I had the car here. Try and find a woodshop teacher or cabinet maker out of work.
Good luck. Really great rare car.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego, CA

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes a few

Art: Like others have said in the past, there isn't anyone producing the kits for your model. I decided a few years ago to tackle the rotted body myself. Wood work has been a fun phase of the project and I am glad that I did it. I bought some rough cut ash and started with the simplest cuts to the easiest pieces first and took one step at a time. A few tools are needed like a planer, band saw, table saw, joiner and some hand tools like a router, electric hand plane, and a belt sander. The woodwork is now completed and fitted and I have prepared the sheet metal for painting. Started the process of nailing the sheet metal to the wood. If you have the basic shop knowledge, experience and a great amount of determination, you will succeed!

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hello Lance, Good to hear from you.

Hello S. Bloomquist, Thanks for your encouraging words. If the car makes it back to VA I will do as you suggest.

I am in CA right now and am trying to figure out a way to get to our meet next week. I have to be back in VA by the end of the day the 13 so if I can get down to SD I won't be able to stay long.

Anyway, I am still wanting to sell the Mod. 70. If anyone wanted to see it in San Diego, as I said, might be able to get there. I am planning to send it back to VA if I can't sell it first. $12,500. would buy it.

Hope to see you next week./

Arthur Roberts
804 761 4705 (cell)
aroberts@artonproducts.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a Mod 70 Deluxe sedan

Hey Arthur, was wondering where you disappeared to. Haven't seen you at any meets for awhile, even the East Coast meets. That car of yours is one beautiful car and would be great restored to it's original beauty. I was impressed with the size of it and the fanciness of it when I saw it at Lurray, Virginia meet. Hope to see you in San Diego.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Hello Mike,

Good to hear from you!

The car found it's way to San Diego where Lance was working on it before he got sick. The oil cloth is off the roof, the chrome is redone and the rotten wood is obvious. Otherwise not too bad.

Right now it is in Kelseyville, CA waiting for a ride home or to it's new home if I find the right buyer.

I kind of do not want to sell it but have too much going on, like a few other car guys I know.

My daughter is getting married in the spring, what a surprise it would be to have that car restored and drive her to her wedding.

San Diego or bust!

Arthur

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a Mod 70 Deluxe sedan

Hello, sorry for the long delay in replying to your message.

The car and I made it back to VA.

I have been trying to get it ready for my daughters wedding but can't finish it in time. My new goal will be to have it at the Club meet in NC this fall.

Can you help me track down a operating Durant or Star that I could use for a day on the 17th for my daughters wedding? I am willing to trade for services, parts, use of my Mod 70 when it is done, cash, or a combination of these.

Thanks,
Arthur Roberts
804 462 5800 work
804 761 4705 cell

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 (30?) mOD 70 dELUXE sEDAN

Hi Mike!

Well, fate has decided that I won't finish the car in time for my daughters wedding.

Could you get me in touch with someone close to me that might allow the use of their Durant or Star for a day in exchange for parts, services, the loan of my car when it is done, cash, or a combination thereof?

Thanks,

Arthur

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 (30?) mOD 70 dELUXE sEDAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club