Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need Connecting rods for 31 durant (22A) continental

In the process of evaluating condition of the engine we are rebuilding and would like spare connecting rods in case mine aren't usable. kenn

Where Are You From? Ithaca Ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 deluxe roadster

Re: need Connecting rods for 31 durant (22A) continental

I was hoping I could leave you with other vehicles that used the same connecting rods that were used in the 22A and 22AA motors 1930 - 32. Unsure if 32A is also the same, used on some Canadian Durant / Frontenac's after the 22AA.

I made the mistake of buying that Interchangeable Parts Handbook, by Chilton you see on Ebay. Not as useful as it says. Wish I had a proper Interchange Book covering everything. They are on ebay now and then. Hollister ??

Clinton does list the US Durant 22A and here I am puzzled. I thought connecting rods were connecting rods and all 4 or 6 the same.

It says Clinton numbers for Connecting Rods under Piston and Connecting Rods ..

22A Front or Right GO-191 Rear or Left GO-273

8W Front or Right GO-233 Rear or Left GO-273

DeVaux
40A Front or Right GO-191 Rear or Left GO-211

Interesting as under Continental its blank for Piston Pin bushing, and both of the Front / Rear connecting rods. Wonder if that might be another source for 41A ,C400 and C600 motors.

Those three are only vehicles to have those numbers and use same ? rods. Durant 4 and 6, plus DeVaux. Need a DeVaux owner to verify if rods same as the Durant. Perhaps another DMAC'er can explain what Front and Rear mean and why different.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Norm:
I will contact a "new" DeVaux owner in the Sacramento area as he has just torn down a 40A.
More later, Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi Gary

I just thought I could help for another source of rods if there aren't any 22A or 22AA items around. I seem to think its Hollister books that give much better cross references, and many more parts ,and lists all vehicles that use same parts on a separate page after that section you are looking at. Chilton (1934) thing just puts a (2) for example, beside the part and you have to look at every vehicle to find the 2nd one with same Chilton part number. I think the ebay orange thing is a condensed copy and only touches an a few parts.

Both the US and Can after market catalogues just lump connecting rods as one item. Its headed Connecting Rod Service, in Can, $2.00 each. US is Special Connecting Rod Exchange Service $2.10 each. You send in your rods and exchange for four is $7.20 Can and $7.95 US. Set of six is $11.90 Can and $11.90 US. US catalogue rambles on about it all for a quarter of the page. Can one gives no rambling about problems of rods and just quotes prices for exchange.

Still have no idea what Front or Right and Rear or Left rods in Chilton book refers to. I would have thought one rod was same for all 4 or 6 cyl in an engine. Mind you I didn't catch Chilton calling the 4 cyl an 8W until long after I posted what it said. Should have been indicated as a W8.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club