Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Continental Engine - 4 cylinder (C400) engine

I am looking for a Continental Engine - 4 cylinder (C400) engine for my 1933 Continental Beacon. Anyone who might have some leads, please let me know.
Thanks, ever so much.

Where Are You From? Charles Town, WV

Re: Continental Engine - 4 cylinder (C400) engine

I was going to recommend contacting Barry Wolk from Michigan, but I see you already posted on the AACA Continental Forum. If you haven't been contacted by him yet, he probably will when he sees the post. I know he was trying real hard to get a handle on Continental owners and parts cars etc. Maybe a Durantonian might have one in the ole garage stashed away.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Daryl J. here in the Seattle, Wa area has a large collection of Continental's and parts. He is also trying to maintain the registry on Continental owners. I do remember seeing a listing sometime back of a Continental owner (3 cars at that time)in your state.
Contact me if you can. Thanks, Gary garyyelle@msn.com

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Gary, you are thinking of Charles and Lisa Cadwallader of Kearneysville WV.

Lisa contacted me not long ago to know if I knew of a C400 motor for their Beacon. I put her to Steve Large with one of the two surviving C400 Frontys and also suggested she contact Carol for an ad in Partner, which she was going to do.

Norm

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

This is Lisa. I have e-mailed Steve twice but have not heard from him. I did contact Carol and need to finish that up. I have not hear from Barry and need to figure out how to get a hold of him. I also posted on the AACA site and have somethings to check into. Thanks

Where Are You From? West Virginia

Hi Lisa.......

I emailed you Barry's email address........

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Lisa
Are you missing the complete engine? I'm thinking the Durant/Rugby W-8 has to be a similar motor. They both would have mechanical fuel pumps, both were made by Continental at the same time. Both are L head engines.

The W-8 was 200 cu. in. (3 7/8 x 4 1/4), 50hp @ 2800 rpms. engine mounted in rubber. Durant used a Stromberg carb in the US and Tillotson in Canada

The Beacon Motor used a Marvel. If you have a Beacon motor now...the block could be interchangeable. The spark plugs are 18mm on the Beacon, 7/8 in. on the W-8. If you are desperate for a motor and the W-8 fits with no modifications...I think it is a no brainer. I have a couple leads on W-8s, both are in Canada but one is in Ontario.

There was a guy restoring three beacons in MI, all painted grey....I'll dig for his information. Bob

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? a couple

Bob we seem to have used both Stromberg U1 and Tillotson SP26A carbs on the 407's (W-8) Same with the 6 cyl, a Stromberg U2 or Tillotson W8A for 1930's under Durant Motors. Then 1931 under Dominion for 6's it was J4A (mine), J6A and J7A , but also W8A. My old 1930 614 was a U2 and Ron's 407 was a U1.

The parts catalogues don't say what the Fronty C400 and C600 used other than to list the inner parts for each. Poor old 633 doesn't even get mentioned.

I have a 1926 Star motor for sale. 55000 miles not seized

Where Are You From? Vancouver BC Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Denis .. probably a W5 if a four cyl and completely different to the 1933 / 34 Continental or Frontenac C400, and Durant / Rugby W8, motors.

Perhaps one of our Star (or pre 1930 Durant) owners can use your motor.

LISA: I have contacted a fellow C-400 owner who has updated his engine to a modern 4cyl. and am waiting to hear back from him on what he has done with the original motor, and what condition it's in. Do you need the whole thing? what is wrong with yours ?

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? no-by Dominion Motors

Hi Steve, We need the block, ours is cracked in about 5 places along the water jacket. We had someone look to see if it could be repaired but there is nothing they can do. However, if there's is complete and working we would be welling to take the whole thing. Let me know and thanks. We have come across anothe possiable make do lead but need to send some information back. Again thanks, Lisa

Where Are You From? Charles Town, WV

Found you one, the bearings are bad and need to be redone. Call me for details 1-905-271-3669

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No Dominion Motors

The Durant Motors Automobile Club