Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
29 Coup Parts ID

Can anybody identify these parts that came with my 29 Coup?

Thanks.

Where Are You From? Duluth MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant coupe 60

Re: 29 Coup Parts ID

Perhaps they aren't part of your car but just other odds and ends that get tossed in we puzzle about.

Might be all wet but # 2 almost seems a wheel wedge for a much earlier wheel that didn't have split rims but wood fallow like a 1917 - 19 Chevy style. Unfortunetly my 490 parts book doesn't show the wedges just the part number for those.

# 10 split rim wedges ? but hole opening doesn't seem large enough. Flat one end to wheel rim but rounded the other to split rim.

Without seeing the thickness of #8, could it be the backing plate of a bumper medallion for some car ? Looks like the raised parts both sides fits between a split bars bumper to keep them separated and medallion on center, like the pre 32's. (I know 618, 619 Fronty was single bar but 614 was two bar 1931 and single bar 32.)

Just idea's.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I'm thinking #5 is one of your seat retainers, one will fasten under the bench seat on each side and when seat is shoved back in place will lock behind a 3/4" wood riser that is fastened in place between a coupla floorboards...I'm still thinking about the other parts.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth , WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 / D 40 / 25 Flint

Todd:
I believe that #8 is the retainer for the bumper on the centre of the front spring. The hole in the centre is to go over the centre bolt, and it is long enough to be held down by the U bolts. Mac Irvine sells the urethane bumpers to fit these. He has an ad in the partner.

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Bill I think your right on the seat mounts bracket. I've taken my car apart now, body is off the frame and it looks like the part that goes on the back of the wood frame inside to hold the seat. Also #10 looks like the devices that hold the fenders to the frame. Screw and bolt go through the device and into the frame.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

#4 looks like a front engine mount bolt assembly. #10 are the front fender-to-frame mount brackets. #6 small brackets look to be seat back mounts.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Goodness so many more pieces, Mike / Steven, to the 30's fenders that are all in one, just bolt to frame. After market don't even mention fender wedges under fenders or hood sills pages for the pre 30 cars.

Even the front bumper mounting was a vast improvement with bolt through back bar, right into the frame horn. Just looking at Garys 60 pic number 23, at that arrangement of parts and clamps.

Just thinking on it and doesn't Frank's ... Reprinted Manuals: cover these parts perhaps ? Partner Ad, one says - Repair Parts List for Durant and Star and covers M, M2, M4, R, 40, 55, 60. High quality copy of an Illustrated parts book, of 127 pages with 29 full pages of parts illustrations. Also what part interchanges between models and mounting hardware.

Other is Repair manual for Durant and Star covering 4 cyl C, CC, F, M, M2, M4

After some more looking around, #1 is for a ride stabilizer(shock), #3 is a washer for the rear spring attachment.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant coupe 60

No 4 looks like the clamp that holds the spare tire rim to the bracket at the side. At least one is on my 29 Sedan.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I now have most of the parts ID'd #1 is a part of the front shock, #2 ???, #3 are washers for the leaf spring bolts, #4 is a front engine bolt with sq. washer, #5 ???, #6 are seat brackets, #7 are front axle shims, #8 is a front axle bracket, #9 ???, #10 are front fender washers.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 model 60 coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club