Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carburetor troubleshooting

Hello all,

I have three problems I would love input on.
I recently purchased a beautiful 1929 Durant Sedan in an auction. The car is in wonderful condition, no rot, rust or damage. I have never owned a Durant before so this is exciting. My problems are as follows:

No.1 Carburetor (Tillotson sp13b)
The car sat for 30+ years in a climate controlled garage with a full tank of gas. I disconnected the fuel line and attached a hand held gas tank. The fuel nearly immediately began pouring out of the bottom of the carburetor. I removed it. Ordered a rebuild kit and had it rebuilt by a local machine shop. Reinstalled on the car and it again immediately began pouring all the fuel on the floor.

What should I do? I have been told replace the carburetor. Is that possible?

No.2 Fuel tank.
As previously mentioned the car sat with a full tank of gas which rusted out the top of the bow section at the ridge line, the rest of the tank is perfect.

Do I replace it? Try to patch it?

No.3 Knowledge
My final problem is I am 22 years old. I am not seasoned enough to really understand how to start the car. I am aware of the concept of choke and spark but am not certain how to properly use them. I have a few older cars namely a 1953 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 special. My dream car is a 1930 Cadillac V16 sedan.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and have a wonderful rest of your week.

Where Are You From? Southeast Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant

Re: Carburetor troubleshooting

Dean,

Pouring all the fuel on the floor would mean the float and needle are not shutting off the fuel flow.
Floats are not normally part of rebuild kits, but there are two areas to check.

First, If you have a fuel pump, it should be connected to a fuel regulator, otherwise there will be too much fuel pressure and will flood the carburetor. Pressure should be between 2-3 pounds.

If you don't have a fuel pump (these were not stock) remove the bottom of the carb and check to see if the float is either flooded or has tiny pin holes. If flooded it will be heavy with gas. Second the float moves a pin up and down, when the pin is fully up the fuel flow will be closed. Your rebuilder should have noticed if the float was flooded, and the pin is normally replaced.

While you're at it, check the Vacuum tank for leaks or cracks.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster & 1931 Model 619 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club