Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas Tank Replacement

Has anyone had any luck getting a replacement gas tank made?
I'm trying to get estimates at local sheet metal fabricators now. Any idea what a reasonable price should be?
I need a better gas tank for my '29 Durant Model 63.
We've got an old spare tank, but it is too rusty inside to fix.

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2 of them.

Re: Gas Tank Replacement

Hi Jim,

I am restoring a 28 M2 right now. My gas tank is in for re-sealing.
Basically the tank looked in pretty good shape but after got it back from a chemical stripping company it has a quite a few pinholes in one area.

I took it to a place called the "Gas Tank Exchange" up here in Toronto, Ontario. They are currently working on it.

They will be sandblasting the inside of the tank to rough up the surface and then coat the inside with a polymer that is Gas / Diesel resistant.

I had a choice of making the outside perfectly smooth first and repainting it but this is a bit delicate as all work / welding must be done first as any heat after the coating will peel of on the inside.

I elected to have the outside of the tank covered in a black polymer for a few reasons. It was easier to do. The tank is mostly covered by a metal cover. I gave me peace of mind knowing the tank had 2 layers od sealant now.

The costs are:
$100 ($75 US) for chemical stripping
$150 ($120 US) for sandblasting and sealing the inside
$150 ($120 US for coating the outside in a polymer.

I'm not sure what shape you tank is but a picture would help.
I also don't know what sort of time frame you are looking at getting this done, but if you have time and the money, I would be quite willing to help you get this done from up here. I suspect shipping a "gas tank" by Fed EX might have them concerned, not to mention Border Security.

Anyway, if I can help in anyway, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kindest Regards,
Neil Martin
905-649-6265
neil_martin@rogers.com
Facebook "TwentyEight Durant" (specifically covering the rebuild)

Where Are You From? Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Sedan

Re: Gas Tank Replacement

Hi Neil :-)
Thank you for all your information.

We were able to get our old rusty gas tank cleaned out fairly well at a radiator shop here.

Like yours, a couple of pin holes were discovered after the cleaning process. These hole were successfully soldered to seal them.

We considered having the inside sealed with some kind of sealer. However, we have heard nothing but bad results. They put all kinds of extra additives in the unleaded gas here in California which can eventually do some negative things to the sealers. I know that the sealer makers say that it is safe to use with our gas, but we just didn't want to take a chance. So, we're going to try it without using a sealer.

We just painted the outside of the tank with black spray paint. Most of this tank is covered up with a piece of body sheet metal in the back of the car.

We just need to get a gas gauge sending unit that will work in the tank now.

Good luck with your gas tank.

Jim

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2 of them.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club