Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sources for out-of-date differential carrier bearings?

I am in the process of rebuilding a differential and have run into a snag. I need a source for a timken bearing with the number 29177 and a race with the number 29334. I have tried Egge Machine Co and the local auto part stores. The auto parts stores that i have checked can't get this bearing and race as they are not being manufactured any longer. Does anyone have these parts or a source where i can get them?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D75

Re: Sources for out-of-date differential carrier bearings?

Hi Steve...

Have you checked with Olcar Bearing in North Carolina??

910-693-3324

Hope this helps.......

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

hello
try lester harris in minden nevada, his address is 2763 valley rd minden nevada 89423, ph 775 267 2559
lester has been a dealer of antique auto parts for 40 plus years,he is the best and a great person,if he doesnt have it you probably wont find it, dave

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1931 devaux

I have checked several of the suggested sources and have come up empty handed for the original carrier bearings.
As a next step to my carrier bearing dilemma, I began investigating the possibility of modern bearings and altering the differential unit to fit. What I finally settled on is a bearing made by National with the part number 30209-A. As it turns out, this bearing is a much better, heavier design, with the same outside race diameter and inside bearing diameter. The difference being, the bearing width is about 0.06" wider than the original ones. The easy fix for this was to machine 0.03-0.06" off the face of the bearing adjustment rings where they mate with the cone race. This allowed me to adjust the carrier assemby for correct ring/pinion alignment.
The differential axle felt seals have been updated with the modern National 471424 seals. The axle adjustment rings had to be bored out a couple of thousanths to accept these seals. The pinion seal was replaced too with the National 473448 seal. To make this seal work, the pinion housing was bored a few thousanths larger and about 0.125" deeper. A hub ring was made and pressed onto the (odd size and worn) pinion flange hub.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? D75

The Durant Motors Automobile Club