Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Passing of Gary Kauffman

It is with great sadness that I announce that long time Durantonian and founder of the early Durant Automobile club has passed away early Tuesday morning April 09,2024. Gary passed away at home in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania peacefully during the night. I spoke with his Son-in-law who said arrangements have not been made yet. The Son-in-law said that sometime in the future they would like to liquidate Gary's Durant/Star parts when things settle down. Gary was a good friend and a great person! For those new members, he started the initial Durant Automobile club in the 1970's after he acquired a Durant. He went to the Hershey AACA regional show in Hershey Pennsylvania with a sign around his neck saying "What the hell is a Durant"?. Many people came up to him and told him about Durant and their Durant/stars. He developed a list of names and decided to publish a newsletter using a mimeograph machine at his school where he was a science teacher to run off copies and mail them off so those interested in Durant/Star cars could exchange information and restoration tips. Later he turned the club paperwork over to someone in Canada who failed to keep things going. Later Jeff Gillis started a group that he insisted was not a club, and published a quarterly magazine and held tours etc. Then after Jeff's passing, the club we have today was formed by Yates Milton and others who met at the Hershey for their first meeting to organize the Durant Motors Automobile Club.
Gary always had a great sense of humor and was a great person to be around! He will be missed by many! Rest in peace Gary!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? YES, 1928 Durant Model 65 four door sedan

Re: Passing of Gary Kauffman

I agree Mike, Unc Gary as I called him and I shared many emails and jokes plus other things. I will sure miss him.

I will share this with you

DEAR NORM,
I DO NOT WRITE TO YOU OFTER ENOUGH. SO THIS LETTER IS TO TELL YOU WHAT AN IMPORTANT PART OF MY LIFE YOU HAVE BECOME. LIKE YOU I AM ALONE SINCE WIFE DIED . HOWEVER , YOUR ENDLESS EMAILS HAVE GIVEN ME AN ENDLESS AMOUNT OF JOY THAT KEEPS THE GLOOM AWAY FROM A BORING LIFE. I THINK OF YOU EVERY DAY AT SOME POINT AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR EMAILS. I HOPE THAT YOU ARE WELL AND WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I HOPE TO MEET YOU SOME DAY SO I CAN GIVE YOU A GREAT BIG HUG. IN FACT I WILL MAKE IT TWO HUGS SO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I “LUV YA”

BEST WISHES ….GARY K

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Re: Passing of Gary Kauffman

Hi All

Cathy and I have many fond memories of Gary & Marcia. They where very good friends.
Always enjoyed the time we spent together at the meets.
I met Gary many years ago when we both were science teachers. remember the mimeographed booklets with the file folder covers! A long time ago.
We did some trading of cars and parts through the years
RIP my friend, you will be missed!

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

The Durant Motors Automobile Club