Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1930 Four door coach

Well that sucks, where do they think the car came from if its in NZ and has been for decades and is all stock. Perhaps it was imported by someone in its past since its left hand drive. Each country seems bent on getting rid of cars over 20 years with all the rules and regs now. One of our Prairie Provinces won't even allow cars over 20 yeas to be brought into the Province.
Years back we had fun with our vintage cars and it didn't matter the shape of it, no pant, glass, roof etc, if it ran bring it out. My first car was a 1930 614 sedan with no ownership and the gas station didn't know if a 1929 or 1930 so gave me two receipts and I could choose one to use at DOT. I knew it was 1930 so used that one to plate it with. There was no fuss or muss at DOT. Lad I knew had a 1929 Ford A and similar problems but not even a vin number, so he used the part number on the water pump. It got plated.
My present 1932 614 sedan the vin was wrong as I 5222 instead of J 5222 so mentioned that DOT. They told me to scribble the correct vin on a piece of paper and give it to them. I did and its now J no fuss. I could have given them any number.
Ownership papers get lost all the time on vintage cars but folks in NA don't have to modernize cars to get plated.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Yes It sucks big time. I can leave the motor and box stock but will have to update the brakes and fit seat belts and modern lights as well as converting to right hand drive. All because somebody, like you say, has lost the paperwork that came with it when imported or parked up years ago. It’s clearly a car from way back in the day…. I can’t hide that fact, yet we have to modernise it to put it back on the road. It makes no sense at all…
Perhaps I put an electric motor in it….

Not bloody likely.

Where Are You From? New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet, looking to purchase

I guess maybe we overlooked the obvious. There should be a VIN plate nailed to the upper right toe board that will have the model type and model number STAMPED into it. The black screened info about what factory it was made at could be rubbed off if this plate if it is still there. There is an engine number STAMPED into the block on a small flat area below the rear of the exhaust/intake manifold which should always be there. Maybe with this Norm can give you so more info as to when this was made. Not much else to ID the car. The front axle(by Adams), has a casting date on it, but the axles were done in batches so no exact dates The gearshift knob has "Durant 3/8inch pipe thread" cast into it on the underneath side, only seen if you take it off. The cars had some provision for RH or LH drive. The instrument panel/steering column brace is the same and two holes are drilled in the bottom of the dash panel and into the firewall for either side steering. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Thanks Ross that’s great. I’ll check out the tow board when I go and check the car out sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Yes we overlooked part of it not knowing how much info was known or left of the car. Not sure what I can add further. As we know that model year stopped effective with the 1930 and up vehicles. Pre 1930 model year was Aug 1 of one year to July 31 of next year. To cut expenses model year would only be when a model was upgraded so 614 was Jan 4 1930 to Dec 31 1930. 1931 was Jan 1 1931 to Jan 31 1932. 1932 was Feb 1 1932 to end of Durant line in 1932.
Elizabeth plant was gone in 1929 so no 1930's
Oakland plant was gone end of 1930 to become De Vaux plant
Lansing plant went to Aug 1931
Leaside plant became totally Canadian owned and operated Jan 14 1931 to make whatever it wanted. They chose to continue the Durant and Rugby and plant name changed to Dominion Motors shortly after. Durant 1932, Rugby truck 1933. Canadian Frontenac Aug 1931 to 1933. All production stopped end of 1933 except REO which was built there 1932 and up. Charter for Dominion Motors turned in 1944 which ended the only all Canadian car co since.

1930 614
L-1001 to L-30000 Jan 4 1930 to Dec 31 1930
C-1001 to C-7783
T-1001 to T-4269

Unless new info comes out of the woodwork the coach was 614 only 1930. 407, 610, 612, 617 did not have coach. Why they called it a 610 Sept 1930 is still a ?? It was a continuation of the 407 US with the 4 cyl so should have been called 4xx. In Canada we continued the 407 into 1932 and Dominion Motors own car was H-4305 deluxe sedan.

As Ross mentioned the toe board should have the vin plate with 614 as model and next box over the alpha / numeric vin number. If the plate is rusty it might be able to look at back of the plate to get its vin since the numeric is stamped as is the 614 but the alpha is painted on. So plant if gone on the front we might not know which plant made it.

If you do get to see the 614 car again I would like to get its info vin, engine serial, casting dates head / block. We know its 4 door coach and blue body / black fenders, wood spoke wheels, to add this car to the Registry.

In regards to where the 6-14 was manufactured. If you are missing or can not read the id tag. If there are a lot of square counter sunk head bolts used in assembly, the car is a Leaside (Canadian) car.

Where Are You From? Tucson, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4

Ah yes our Canadian Robertson bolts and screws used in many Canadian built makes. Canadian built cars in US judging were considered wrong, until judges were proven wrong. Every now an then someone in Forum with a Canadian vehicle wants to know where you find the funny slotted screws for their Star / Durant.

Much prefer Robertson screws doing any woodwork.

Thank Norm
I’m hoping to get down there in the next couple of weeks and I’ll be sure to get as much info as I can. Thank you

Thank you Bob, I’ll give it a good look over when I get down that way.
Cheers

The Durant Motors Automobile Club