Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Coolant in oil

Just wanted to update this post I had just purchased this car and the previous owner told me there was coolant in the oil so when I got home, I pulled oil plug and there was about a cup of coolant in it, me, never hearing the engine run, I wanted to hear it start first The PO had loosened all the head bolts getting ready to remove the head so I retorqued the head and cleaned the points, change the oil and let it sit with oil in the cylinders overnight the next day it started right up, but it had valves stuck in cylinders one and four, so I added PB blaster to all the cylinders overnight and the next day I cleared out the cylinders fired it up and after a few minutes, it’s smooth ride out, I let it run for several hours in the garage I shut it off and the next day I loosen the drain plug and I didn’t have any coolant in the oil. At that point I did add some kseal to the radiator and took it out and drove it around the neighborhood for several hours and then parked it overnight went out the next morning loosened, the drain plug and no coolant was in the oil I did notice driving it around the neighborhood I was getting coolant coming out of the overflow at that point but it wasn’t overheating so I pulled the thermostat out of it and it was stuck open. I thought the thermostat looked like the size of one from a 440 Chrysler so I went to the parts store and got a thermostat and gasket for an early 70s Chrysler 440 I had to trim the gasket just a bit but it worked perfect and it also took care of the problem. As of now it’s running great without any problems. Other than the previous owner had added an electric fuel pump. I have a rebuild kit coming for the original pump but we’re going to a car show Saturday. This winter I may pull the head but for now I’m going to enjoy it until the cold weather comes in. I would like to thank everyone for their advice and comments.

Where Are You From? Indiana

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1931 Durant 612

Re: Coolant in oil

I love a happy ending :-)

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Model 619 and 1929 model 60 Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club