Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Don Shilling is in the hospital

Sorry to hear this. Don has been been a fantastic member for many years. We all hope he does well and has a good recovery.

Where Are You From? Ellensburg, WA and Sahuarita, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, several

Goodness, real sorry to hear about this...I was just talking with Don on the phone possiably a day or two before Don would have gone into the hospital, Don had found a set of valve springs for my W-5 engine, even cleaned , bead blasted, and tested them for me, Don sounded fine at the time we spoke...We hope that Don will have a good and speedy recovery.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Goodness ! I first met Don in about 2001 when my wife and I visited Jeff and Elaine Cromeens in Mesquite, Texas. Jeff and I drove from Mesquite to Texarcana to visit Don. We had lunch together that day, and I purchased several items for Will's 1922 Durant from Don. Jeff had sold Don most of his parts and he was glad to finally see him again. I always enjoyed being with Don at our meetings in various states over the years. I just hope that he improves and is able to join us once more. All the very best Don, from all your friends in Canada and US

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside, Ontario.

Has anyone heard how Don is doing? Really hope he is feeling better!

Where Are You From? Grand Junction CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Star, two 26 Stars, 27 Star and two 29 Durants

As of last week when I talked to Shirley he was doing better but had good days and bad. He among other things had Covid and had been on a ventilator, but now is off that and only an oxygen mask and is now able to drink water. I'm going to try and call sometime this week to get an update.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

I spoke with Don this morning and he's in rehab due to be released on Thursday. He had a rough time and still some more hills to climb. He said he had several things hit at once, but he's feeling better and ready to go home.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Glad to hear Don is on the mend.

Great to hear he is doing better!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Star, two 26 Stars, 27 Star and two 29 Durants

I’m BAAAACCCCKKKK! 30 days ago Mother Nature blindsided me with a litany of ailments. I was originally having trouble swallowing so a local doctor concluded I has a small cancer on the back of my tongue. One thing led to another and I was being airlifted to MD Anderson in Houston. As we were leaving the airport in Texarkana, I watched the lights recede and then blacked out for the next two weeks. Basically, I was drowning in my own fluids. A sharp left turn took us into Shreveport to Willis-Knighton hospital for emergency surgery to clear an embolism in my lung. At that time, I also contracted the China Kung Flu and was placed on a respirator. Pneumonia soon followed but I didn’t know about any of this because I was in another universe. Two weeks later I regained consciousness and found I couldn’t walk, barley raise my arms, or much of anything else. Seems I had experienced a mild stroke. After another week of recovery I was sent to Texarkana for rehab and learn again how to walk and keep my balance. Well, another week passed and I learned good enough and they sent me home today. Fortunately my swallowing and shortness of breath have cleared up completely. Another two or three weeks and I should be back on the bulldozer and playing in the dirt!

Where Are You From? Texas

Hi Don. Glad to hear you are baaaaccck! Look forward to seeing you at a future event!

Don - so glad to hear your back on your feet. Get well soon! Looking forward to seeing you at an event soon.

It's amazing the small details in ones life that we take for granted every day. But, once lost they become very noticeable. It's important to live life to the fullest and not worry about that which you have no control over. Episodes like what I and many others have gone thru give one a different perspective on life and tends to rearrange our life's priorities in a more sensible manner. Personally, I want to get my '29 Durant express wagon ready for the Michigan meet and drive it to the Gilmore!

Well said, Don! You summed it up very nicely. I do not know of anyone who could have said it better.
Look forward to seeing you in Michigan!

Well, I'm feeling a bit stronger every day. Tuesday and Wednesday I ran the dozer clearing a path for a new fence line with no peoblems,
Friday, I had a CAT scan to check for cancer in my throat. The scan went OK but it knocked me out all day Saturday but seems to be tapering off today. The stuff they injected in me brought on fatigue, itchiness, and I resembled a fresh cooked lobster!
Oh well, after all I have been thru lately, I feel confident I can pull thru this.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club