Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hi-temp Paint

I'm finishing my wooden spokes on my 1928 Durant M-2 to be a natural look and painting my brake drums and hubs to be a glossy black. It was mentioned to me that the brake drums should be painted with a hi-temp paint. Do any of the club members have any thoughts about the necessity of using the hi-temp paint for the drums.

Where Are You From? Arlington, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M-2

Re: Hi-temp Paint

I used a High temp paint on my drums.
They will get hot and this type of paint won't crack and peel over time.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Model 619 and 1929 model 60 Roadster

I've been looking at hi-temp spray paints that have a high temperature range anywhere from 500, 600, 900 or even 2000 degrees. The ones that are at 900 or 2000 degrees require one to cure the part (if it's off the car) in an oven at 250 degrees for an hour. The ones at 500 or 600 degrees require a cure time of 7 days without using an oven. I was wondering what paint you used Rick or if anybody else would like to comment on what they used.

Where Are You From? Arlington, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M-2

Hi Gil,

I've never cured the paint, just let it dry.
I'm sure the paint was cured after I used my brakes and created heat.
Curing in a oven seems to be a good idea for brake drums that don't have wood spokes and small parts
Keep n mind that High Temp paint has fewer solids that will retain heat when in use. Since this type of paint has fewer solids, resist the temptation to add too many layers.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Model 619 and 1929 model 60 Roadster

I had my drums powdercoated. The shop I used will blast them and coat them for almost as cheap as you can paint them. I just skimmed the lining(mainly to clean off the rust-you should not do much more than that, definitely not to solve any out of round issues). The powdercoating shop can easily mask the lining surface before they process them.

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club