Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Electrical problem

Joe- You've got a bad cutout relay. When the car is off the points should be open, otherwise you have a bridge from the battery through the cutout(points closed in contact) to the generator which has a ground. The wiring will get hot and could even start a fire. Our generators on their best day put out 20 amps. With the points closed the battery will send all it's amperage back through the circuit I described. When the battery is charging the points are closed in contact because the winding in the cutout creates a field and pulls them together( or the other way around, can't remember) Other than mounting or having "Ford" stamped on the casing what you're ordering should work or a generic cutout. Moss Motors has 7 minute tutorial on their website that explains things very clearly, type in voltage regulator or control box.

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: Electrical problem

I'm using a Model A version on my Star C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club