Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Star model years

Years ago Jeff Gillis and I had a few discussions regarding the year of my Star. I was told when I bought it that it was a 1926 Model M (four door sedan). The title said 1925. Jeff and I decided it was a 1926 based on the absence of the lower belt line which runs down the side of the hood. After a big hassle with dmv I finally recieved the proper forms to change the year of the car when I re-applied for a title in my name. Much to my dissappointment when I recieved the new title it still said 1925. Lately I've noticed many pictures on line of the double belt cars dated 1926 causing me to wonder if my car really is a 1925. My car has the integral viser with the two vents, the rounded top rear corners on the roof, ribbed fenders, and the cylindrical shaped head lights. The car still had 100% of the original paint under the flat black paint that came on it. It was bronze green (1926), not persian blue (1927). My question is this. Is my car an overlap model betweem 1925 and 1926, or between 1926 and 1927. serial#l-377396. Not that important, just curious. One curious thing on my car is the rear fender mounting. When I tore the car down, one rear fender had the mounting holes torched in it. When My body man worked the rear fenders he filled the torched holes and made holes matching the other fender. Low and behold when I started fitting the fenders I realized that the factory holes on one side of the body were different the the holes on the other side. The torched holes were done at the factory. (maybe using up left over panels?) I'd love to figure this out

Where Are You From? Denver

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star m 4dr sedan

Re: Star model years

It is my observation that the Star F series was made from 1924 and 1925 with some produced in 1926 until all the parts were used up. I have never known M's to have been produced in 1925. Only 26,27,28. The F series and M series used different transmission shifter tops. F's shifted internally and M's shifted externally on the two shift rails. Overhead vents were a feature of the M series. Early M's had solid mount engines and later '27's had rubber mount engines. I have noticed M's having beaded sides, smooth sides, and bolt on cowl beads. M's also used either smooth of beaded fenders. Early M's had drum headlights and later M's used bullet headlights.
As far as your title, it was common, in the past, for "not so bright" county workers to get the title info wrong.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Re: Star model years

Don, thanks for your response to my questions. My car does have the solid mounted engine and the exposed shift rails. I'm not sure if the rear panel difference was a situation where they were using up left over panels from from 1925 production ( is this panel the same for 25' 26' sedans?) or maybe a production change correcting a mounting problem on the assembly line. Will probably never know for sure. Maybe being a very early 26' the car might have been purchased in late 1925 and been dated as such. Oh well, such is the adventure of restoring old cars. You gotta love it! Thanks Curt

Where Are You From? Denver

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star m 4dr sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club