Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bonding brakes

We are planning to reline our Bendix 3 shoe brakes, with 3/16 material and brass rivets. My question, would it be advisable to also add some brake bonding agent with the rivets?

Thanks

Bill Durant

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star deluxe roaster 6 cylinder

Re: bonding brakes

Not sure why you would need to do both. If linings already drilled for rivets, then if properly installed they will work fine. Bonding is done with adhesive and heat and pressure which obviously works great also. You'll get more braking events with the bonding than with riveting since you don't have any rivet heads to run into and potentially score your drum. But most likely not an issue on a collector car?

Where Are You From? OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

i have a 1924 star and just had my rear brakes done i had mine riveted by industrial brake and clutch in morganville,nj they do 1 day turn around they did great job , i supplied lining or they have linings cost was 85.00 a shoe with my linings with there linings 125.00 a shoe

Where Are You From? orlando

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Those prices are a good incentive to learn how to do them yourself!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club