Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tillotson Carburetor

Check Teck page and under Zenith replacement I helped Phil put together 2016. I was also going to point you to a 2nd place in DMAC I informed Rick about long ago, which he added, but he seems to have deleted it now ??

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Passengerkits.htm
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/PkitS.htm#PSTAR

Jon's site is not quite correct when it comes to Durant or Frontenac as he had never heard of our Canadian Durant's that used J4A (mine) J6A, J7A .. nor those 3 carbs. Nor models 611, 618, 633. Never heard of a Frontenac either. I supplied him all the info years back but he won't correct his site without factory confirmation. Good luck on that as we haven't any either other than aftermarkets. We do know our cars and some exist as proof.
He's under the impression the 619 was also 1932 but he's in the same boat as brochures sellers that as of Aug 1 in a year that's next years model. Totally wrong. Up to Dec 1929 that was true in Billy's empire that Aug one year to July 31 next year was next years model. That stopped effective Jan 1930 and later. Model year would only be when a model is updated. As example 1930 614 is Jan 4 1930 to Dec 31 1930. They updated the model and 1931 is Jan 1 1931 to Jan 31 1932. again update and 1932 is Feb 1 1932 to end of Durant line in 1932. As I mentioned Jon's site hasn't the info on the Canadian side that 407 continued 1931 / 1932, 614 1931 / 1932, 618 1931 / 32. He has no info on the Rugby truck 1928 to 1933 US or Can and all the models. And Rugby was still sold in Canada to end of 1933, as was Frontenac.
Durant Motors Lansing plant was only US plant left 1931 which stopped Aug 1931. Leaside became totally Canadian owned and operated Jan 14 1931 and later changed its name to Dominion Motors. They decided to continue the Durant and Rugby lines, plus add Canadian Frontenac Aug 1931.
Enough history ha ha.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

My 1925 star with W-5 four cylinder came with a Tillotson MV-1A carburetor. This is made of bronze so they can still be used. They appear on e-bay from time to time. Just not right now. It works very well with my engine as I can travel at 45 mph. I tried the Zenith. I had to disassemble it to make the throttle exit the opposite side so it would meet the linkage. It ran OK but not as good as the Tillotson. So I had the T rebuilt and it's back on the car now.

I don't know if yours came with the same carb. They also used the Tillotson MV-1B

Where Are You From? North of Golden Gate Bridge

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

A Muesum that had the car before the owner took it back had put a zenith carb on it. Not running when I bought it. Cleaned the Zenith and put it back on but but notatpoint of trying to start it. I talked to a guy at the Muesum who’d told me about the carb. Anyway, he is a model T guy and someone else told me the Zenith might be off a Model T. Thanks for the info.

Where Are You From? San Antonio, Texas

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Star

Ford T were side draft Holley or Kingston carbs and Ford A was Zenith updraft. I seem to recall on Forum someone was using a Ford A carb on his W5 engine.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

On the many engines I have acquired, several were fitted with a Model A carb. Apparently, it was a common practice to use that carb on the Continental engines.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

As I recall, Adam Ford has a cast iron Zenith Model A on his A-22...Interesting thing with those carburetors are that the choke control rod has a duel function it will operate the choke and when twisted will adjust the Hi-speed jet.

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club