Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1930 Durant Hubcap Paint Scheme

I'm trying to find out how the original 1930 Durant Model 407 hubcaps were painted. The ones I have are painted in different ways. Some are painted black where the Durant name is, and they are painted red in different areas. I haven't had any luck in finding a picture of an original one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Where Are You From? San Diego,CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes; '29 Model 60, '29 Model 63, '30 Model 407

Re: 1930 Durant Hubcap Paint Scheme

Check the online museum for factory photos that show the hubcaps. There is a photo of a 4-07 wood wheel coupe that just has the black around the Durant name. But you will see all types of painted hubcaps(plain, black around the Durant name, red on the shield, red and white on the shield (like the radiator emblem), and with the surrounding ring painted. I have three different stampings of the wood wheel hubcap, one that has the Durant shield,but missing the Durant name stamped in the center!( why would they do that?). I guess you can do what you want, and how steady your paint brush skills are! Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: 1930 Durant Hubcap Paint Scheme

Thanks for the info Ross. It seems that the Durant catalog type pictures are not in color. I think that I'll just paint them the way that looks best to me like you suggest. I'm having my hubcaps (plus one extra) professionally polished right now. Hopefully, they can put some kind of clear coating on them after being painted to keep them from getting tarnished.
Thanks again, Jim

Where Are You From? San Diego,CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes; '29 Model 60, '29 Model 63, '30 Model 407

The Durant Motors Automobile Club